Auckland To Wellington Record

Postby X_to_the_Y on Mon 3/Dec/07 4:58pm

Dose anyone the record for the ride from Auckland to Wellington? Or where to find it. I have heard it is around 22 hours.

Is it 658km said on the maps?

Do you have to stick to SH1?

Drafting? (other riders)
X_to_the_Y
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby phunk on Mon 3/Dec/07 5:02pm

There was a thread about this not that long ago..
phunk
Member for: 16 years 3 months

Postby X_to_the_Y on Mon 3/Dec/07 5:03pm

was there. i could not find it could some one direct me?
X_to_the_Y

Postby skint on Mon 3/Dec/07 5:05pm

There used to be an organised race a few years back - went down the western side of the Waikato, then through to Ohakune, to Wanganui, and down to Wellington. Think you had something like 48 hours to complete the ride...
skint
"Mmmm. Cheesy toasted sandwiches."
Member for: 17 years 4 months

Postby sifter on Mon 3/Dec/07 5:06pm

Hey Thomas. Simon Kennett may be able to help you on this one. His contact details are on the CAN website www.can.org.nz
sifter
Member for: 16 years 6 months

Postby wobbly01 on Tue 4/Dec/07 12:43pm

Forget aucland to wellington, cape reianga to bluff is where its at. I met a guy who held that record the other night apparently it took him about 6 days including the ferry.
wobbly01
Member for: 12 years 10 months

Postby X_to_the_Y on Tue 4/Dec/07 12:54pm

yes I have plans to do that a some stage. this would be a something to try out before hand. a sub 20 hour seams to be the aim.

A few alterrations to my bike and some sweet talking to my friends and family to con support crew.
X_to_the_Y

Postby wgtngrl on Tue 4/Dec/07 12:58pm

I remember reading somewhere of some controversy over the record at one point. One person did it sticking to SH1, but it's 'supposed' to be done via Old Hutt Road in to Wellington, not the M'way.

Looking forward to seeing how you go Thomas - I don't know how on earth you do what you do! :thumbsup:
wgtngrl
Member for: 16 years 0 months

Postby sweet_P on Tue 4/Dec/07 1:00pm

wgtngrl wrote: Looking forward to seeing how you go Thomas - I don't know how on earth you do what you do! :thumbsup:

Ditto - a great read in the NZ Mtber interview - you're a pretty impressive athlete!
sweet_P
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby OliverBendix on Tue 4/Dec/07 1:01pm

wobbly01 wrote: Forget aucland to wellington, cape reianga to bluff is where its at. I met a guy who held that record the other night apparently it took him about 6 days including the ferry.
The current record holder crossed the strait by helicopter, the ferry was too slow for him. There was a thread here last year when he did it.
OliverBendix
"Punter"
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby Spokes on Tue 4/Dec/07 1:05pm

Contact Brain Lambert at Lambert cycles. I believe he is the current record holder. And a top bloke to.

Does anybody else recal Zane Kane going on for years he was going to take the record?
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby hickie on Tue 4/Dec/07 1:07pm

Brian Lambert in less than 20 hours?

http://www.healthandlifestyle.co.nz/e-b ... aining.pdf
hickie
"I've got a singletrack mind..."
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby Jim on Tue 4/Dec/07 2:53pm

sweet_P wrote:
wgtngrl wrote: Looking forward to seeing how you go Thomas - I don't know how on earth you do what you do! :thumbsup:

Ditto - a great read in the NZ Mtber interview - you're a pretty impressive athlete!

And having read another persons copy that also features him ut mentions the other person in the winning duo.
Jim
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby sweet_P on Tue 4/Dec/07 5:12pm

Jim wrote:
sweet_P wrote:

And having read another persons copy that also features him ut mentions the other person in the winning duo.

:cool:
sweet_P
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby X_to_the_Y on Tue 4/Dec/07 7:13pm

cheers everyone.

I have found Lambert cycles number. will give him a call.

Sounds like this has not been attemted in a while. it will not be a easy task.

getting in and out of welly and auckland could be interesting.

timeing could be everything as well. get a howling southerly tail wind and its all on. but if its head wind it wont be fun. any weather experts out there? not sure what time of year would be best.

say its 650km. to break the record by half an hour the time to aim for is 19 and half hours. this means a average of 33.33km/h. hmmmm
X_to_the_Y

Cycling | Road Cycling - Latest Posts