Jamie Whincup Newsletter

Postby ryda on Fri 20/Jul/07 3:20pm

jamie whincup wrote:Hi everyone,

After a long 4 week break we’re back on track again this weekend and racing at home, Queensland Raceway in Ipswich.

It’s always good to race in front of a home crowd, there’s lots of familiar faces and we are on top of what the track asks of us.

The cars are getting consistently faster, as shown by our test last Wednesday, and I’m really confident that I can convert this to race pace and do my best to move back inside the championship top three.

My training has involved a lot of time on board my KTM dirt bike, which helps me to keep my focus and really work on reflexes. It’s also a great way to keep fit and fun at the same time.

As well as being a home event, this round also marks my 50th start in a V8 Supercar. My initial thoughts were along the lines of, ‘big deal’. But it’s funny how quickly you lose track of the bigger picture.

When I was racing go karts and Formula Ford I would have laughed if someone had told me that down the track I would clock up 50 touring car round starts. There are plenty of young people out there that aspire to become a V8 Supercar driver, and only a very small number will ever get, or make the most of, the opportunities that present themselves.

All things considered I am very proud to hit my V8 Supercar half-century this weekend!

And although there have been hundreds of people that have lent a hand along the way, there are 5 people who have been instrumental in making this happen for me.

My father David and uncle Graeme have been there from the very start, and introduced me to motorsport. They have pushed me to be my best, and make the most of every opportunity.

Garry Rogers, Kevin Murphy and Roland Dane have all given me the chance to prove myself on the main stage of V8 Supercars, and although Garry and Kevin decided I was no good, I am very glad that Roland has stuck by me and I hope to prove to him that he made the right decision by continuing my strong championship charge.

I’m sure I’ll be catching up with many of you at Queensland Raceway, but for those that can’t make it, don’t forget to tune into 7’s telecast, 1pm-5pm Saturday and 12pm-3pm Sunday (Brisbane times).

Cheers,
Jamie Whincup

Championship Standings

Rick Kelly, 336 points.
Garth Tander, 297.
Todd Kelly, 245.
Jamie Whincup, 233.
Mark Skaife, 219.
Craig Lowndes, 213.
Steve Richards, 145.
Mark Winterbottom, 140.
Steve Johnson, 136.
Will Davison, 132.

Jamie rides a Jamis roadbike and has the Jamis logo just below Dexion on his helmet (note photo)
Jamiewhincup.jpg
ryda
"WTF"
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Motoring | Motorsport | Sifting - Latest Posts