Team Kiwi Racing, Whats Really Going On?

Postby dented on Wed 6/Jun/07 7:09pm

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,865 ... 10,00.html

Im sure there is more to the story than the few morsels we have been fed. So who here has the inside line? Is David John a failed marketing man that has bitten off more than he could chew? Should TKR have packed up and walked away after Bathurst '06, or was shaking the donation buckets the right thing to do? What about the Rat....do you support him? Ask yourself this, how long would you keep showing up for work if you werent getting paid?
dented
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby Dave_the_Slushy on Wed 6/Jun/07 8:35pm

Think you were right the first time. David John sounds like he's a marketing puke with delusions of organizational competency.
Dave_the_Slushy
Member for: 10 years 11 months

Postby Datsane on Wed 6/Jun/07 11:20pm

I guessing more to the story.
I'm behind the Rat, couldn't give a crap if was a Kiwi team or not.
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby wachtourak on Wed 6/Jun/07 11:54pm

David John fails. Do you notice that whenever he's doing interviews he always sounds like he's on the verge of crying? Whatta reet

It sucks for Radisich cos he's still a good driver and this was the best car TKR have ever had.

If he was in FPR/Tripple8/Stone Brothers or any of the top Holden teams he'd be getting podiums all the time I reckon, he's far better than his recent results would suggest. I remember back 2001 or something when DJR were still a real strong team (hell, they're getting back towards that way this year) him absolutely cleaning up in the wet in Queensland
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby Dodgysam on Thu 7/Jun/07 12:32pm

woulda never happened if they'd stayed in a holden!
Dodgysam
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby phunk on Thu 7/Jun/07 12:57pm

:pmob: pfft, that crappy holden fell apart at Bathurst
phunk
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Postby Muz on Thu 7/Jun/07 12:59pm

The truth will become obvious with time - my bet is that Paul R will end up sorting himself another decent ride over the next few months (who knows what series or where) and TKR and their bosses will probably slow fade into either a generic backmarker team that doesn't count, or they'll retire completely. Paul Radisch can drive like a demon & given the right opporuntity, he's competitive with pretty much anyone in most forms of car racing...you can't keep a good person down!...go the Rat!
Muz
Member for: 12 years 11 months

Postby Colin on Thu 7/Jun/07 1:05pm

Lack of money would appear to be behind their problems.

Failing to front at the next round will cost them big time. $150,000 ?

I would be surprised if they got the same dispensations that were extended after the Bathurst crash.

A bill that big will probably be the end of the team, unless they can bring in a partner who wants to get access to the series licence.
Colin
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Thu 7/Jun/07 1:16pm

The guy is obviously too fat to be a rational or trustworthy person IMHO.
E Dogg Capizzle
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Member for: 15 years 1 month

Postby wachtourak on Thu 7/Jun/07 1:17pm

GOD DOESN'T LIKE FAT PEOPLE
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby Tama on Thu 7/Jun/07 1:18pm

E Dogg Capizzle wrote: The guy is obviously too fat to be a rational or trustworthy person IMHO.
Like Mike Moore?
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby Datsane on Thu 7/Jun/07 1:24pm

Dodgysam wrote: woulda never happened if they'd stayed in a holden!
Do you not know why they changed from holdim then
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby Steve-O on Thu 7/Jun/07 1:30pm

FPR has locked their car up although Team Kiwi has insisted that they are going to be there at the next round, whether the rat will be back is unknown.
I agree, the car they have now is much better then that shitty Holden they ran.
Steve-O
"Only the Finns go truly sideways..."
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby dented on Thu 7/Jun/07 2:23pm

So, curiosity got to me, and having access as I do to a couple of sources, I put the feelers out to try and get the skinny on it all. Heres what I came up with.
Over the past 2 days I have spoken to the Dealer Principals of 2 Ford Dealerships. Both have had David John telephone them in the last 7 days. One of them told me it is a money problem, and that David John told him that Ford Australia's recent decision to pull out of V8 supercar monetary support, has seen things filter down so that it is now affecting Team Kiwi Racing. (Personally I can see how this could be true, ie: perhaps if FPR had some money outstanding to them from TKR for engines, maybe it wasnt such a big deal before, but maybe it is a bigger deal now, hence the impounded car. Perhaps)
The other DP told me today, that last Friday David John was pleading to him on the phone for money. He explained that the executive would have a sponsorship meeting on Tuesday night, but he is still to get another phone call from David John. He went on to say that he wouldnt be giving a penny to TKR anyway, for various reasons.

Ok, so its not exactly groundbreaking news, but still. My own personal take on some of the goings-on, is like this.

David John might not be everyones favourite person, but I admire him for what he is trying to do. We all know that V8 supercars is big business, requiring big money. Wachy mentioned DJR earlier, look at their 2 cars, fully emblazoned with the big Jim Beam logo's. Obviously Jim Beam is the major sponsor, with perhaps a few other smaller sponsors on the car. TKR has chosen from the outset to be identified as a NZ racing team, and as such has relied on NZ sponsors. As such, you never see 1 major sponsor, you see maybe 20-30 sponsors with logos all overthe place on the car. Im only guessing, but assume that they might get anything from say $20,000 to say $100,000 from each sponsor, and probably not all in 1 hit either, but invoiced on a month by month basis. The fact of the matter is, Bathurst '06 was all but fatal for the team, without a major sponsor prepared to back them, or significant capital behind them to just pick up the pieces and carry on. Sure, they rattled the buckets and cobbled together some deals, and scraped enough together so far to compete 3 rounds of the '07 season. And Pukekohe was absolutely awesome, dont forget the Rat outdrove and out scored Craig Lowndes for the weekend, no mean feat. So, should he have jacked it all in after Bathurst '06, or should he have kept battling.
It is in the spirit of the good old Kiwi battler, against the odds, that I like what David John is trying very hard to do. It reminds me of the very first Bathurst that TKR competed in, Angus Fogg had smashed up the car in Saturday practice. The team worked all night without sleep to get the car repaired, pushed it out some 15 minutes before race start, with the paint still wet, to start from pitlane. Fogg and Richards drove hard but sensibly all day to finish 11th. A result they have been trying to better ever since I think.
I understand the Rat walking away, if he hasnt been getting paid, he is a brilliant driver, the only real pity is that this year TKR have the best car that they have ever had, Im not saying that because it is a Ford, Im saying it because its true.
Still, I would love to see the car at Eastern Creek this weekend, Chris Pither has done a fantastic job for the team in the past, and Im sure would step into the seat in a second. Or Kayne Scott. Or Johnny Mac. etc etc
dented
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby Steve-O on Thu 7/Jun/07 3:18pm

Give it to the tank commander Scotty Miers!!!!!

yes i know this would never happen but would be one hell of a spectacle!
Steve-O
"Only the Finns go truly sideways..."
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Motoring | Motorsport | Sifting - Latest Posts