Show Us Your Homemade Mtb Lights

Postby Reet on Fri 25/May/07 8:04pm

over the last few weeks we have been riding b lake in chch and noticed loads of guys with homemade lights. we had a go at building them ourselves and found the info available good but limited. so show us your home builts ones, so here's mine show me yours ;) [/b]
light.jpg
Use 50mm PVC tube and 10AA battery pack last about 1 hr
Reet
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Postby grahamt on Sat 26/May/07 12:15am

Nice effort with the PVC. I've made about ten sets for me and the mates using the tried an tested JeremyB design. Still got over a metre of tubing left for more. I see you've used the same dick smith illuminated switch that I do - which gives you a nice red tail light
164_6408.JPG
grahamt
Member for: 13 years 2 months

Postby pissface on Sat 26/May/07 1:04am

I constructed these from a set of perfume bottles, on my lunch breaks.
lights.jpg
pissface
"Boneshaker"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby Reet on Sat 26/May/07 9:11am

grahamt wrote: Nice effort with the PVC. I've made about ten sets for me and the mates using the tried an tested JeremyB design. Still got over a metre of tubing left for more. I see you've used the same dick smith illuminated switch that I do - which gives you a nice red tail light

I got the idea from the jeremyb design but couldn't get less than 5m of aluminium tube and my partners dad works in a plumbing place and gave me the pvc to try and since then about 3 people have said they know someone with left over tube. Have just finish another one with double the batteries to give me long ride time. p.s. I like the helmet
Reet

Postby Reet on Sat 26/May/07 9:15am

pissface wrote: I constructed these from a set of perfume bottles, on my lunch breaks.
Now those are different very stylely
Reet

Postby Jcuming on Sat 26/May/07 11:03am

how much did it cost all up reet and whats the run time. im thinking of making myself some.
Jcuming
Member for: 10 years 9 months

RE: Show Us Your Homemade Mtb Lights

Postby inzane on Sat 26/May/07 11:08am

Reet wrote: over the last few weeks we have been riding b lake in chch and noticed loads of guys with homemade lights. we had a go at building them ourselves and found the info available good but limited. so show us your home builts ones, so here's mine show me yours ;)

10 aa's - so are you running 15 volts through the lamp then or have you electronically reduced the voltage??

Looks like a better idea than carrying 2.5 kg of SLA!!

my lights - boy racers under car fittings. I find the adjustable angle quite good, although if there are low trees around it is not so great!!

Switch in line. I clip it into the chest strap of my camelbak... is easy to find there!

Oh, and this is my "night riding helmet" and I have a Xen for normal riding... so this lamp stays affixed... but you can do it with industrial velcro and take it on and off too...
helmet.jpg
helmet2.jpg
inzane
"Ride better, ride faster"
Member for: 12 years 9 months

RE: Re: Show Us Your Homemade Mtb Lights

Postby BrentD on Sat 26/May/07 11:32am

inzane wrote:
10 aa's - so are you running 15 volts through the lamp then or have you electronically reduced the voltage??
NiMH cells are 1.2V not 1.5V like dry cells, hence 10 x 1.2 = 12V :)
BrentD
"20 minutes into the future"
Member for: 13 years 3 months

Postby Reet on Sat 26/May/07 2:20pm

Jcuming wrote: how much did it cost all up reet and whats the run time. im thinking of making myself some.
The light was around $30 (though i got the pvc cheap from a friendly plumber) and the batteries are a little more $40 dollars though i only used those because of weight. If you get an Sealed lead acid at 7ah 12v its cheaper but weights 2kg. I also had prblems finding a 10AA battery holders in NZ and had to get some more from the uk. The jeremyb design is a little cheaper for the parts retail, but had problems getting small lengths of the aluminium tube, though there alot of guys out there who bought more than they needed so ask around.http://www.jeremyb.net/ http://bluecollarmtb.com/2005/07/29/build-a-helmet-light/
Reet

RE: Re: Show Us Your Homemade Mtb Lights

Postby Reet on Sat 26/May/07 2:31pm

inzane wrote:
Reet wrote: over the last few weeks we have been riding b lake in chch and noticed loads of guys with homemade lights. we had a go at building them ourselves and found the info available good but limited. so show us your home builts ones, so here's mine show me yours ;)

Looks like a better idea than carrying 2.5 kg of SLA!!

my lights - boy racers under car fittings. I find the adjustable angle quite good, although if there are low trees around it is not so great!!

Switch in line. I clip it into the chest strap of my camelbak... is easy to find there!

Oh, and this is my "night riding helmet" and I have a Xen for normal riding... so this lamp stays affixed... but you can do it with industrial velcro and take it on and off too...

no it only runs a 12v as rechargables are only 1.2v each though you only get about 1.5hr out of these batteries so i have doubled them up in the lastest light. i have also find out the bulbs are not as bright on these batteries as it is on a 7ah SLA though heaps lighter.

The switch is also easy to find because its quite large its a similar switch set up as the night lighting ones and glows red out the back a big help if you are following. i just use a velco strap and big cable tie works for my helmet but there all different
Reet

Postby inzane on Sat 26/May/07 3:54pm

The reason your light is not as bright is that the SLA batteries are probably putting out more like 13V rather than 12V. You can run the halogens at higher Voltages than the 12 V they are rated for and get more light out of them, although this usually significantly decreases the life of the bulb.

So, if you wanted the same sort of brightness make it an 11 pack of AA batteries... (yes I know, nobody makes an 11 holder).

I have heard of these bulbs being run at up to 14V...
inzane
"Ride better, ride faster"

Postby danose on Sun 27/May/07 7:45am

inzane wrote: although this usually significantly decreases the life of the bulb.

depends what you call significant - even a 10 fold drop from 10,000 hrs to 1000 hrs isn't going to concern most people

So, if you wanted the same sort of brightness make it an 11 pack of AA batteries... (yes I know, nobody makes an 11 holder).

I have heard of these bulbs being run at up to 14V...

13.2V/13.8V is about normal for a gel cel when fully charged - lights are fine wth that!

ideal solution is to use a bigger pack (say 13 / 16.6V nominal - use the current 10 cell holder plus 3 cell holder in series) and then run it into a high efficiency dc/dc converter to drop to 12V - the good regs are 90% efficient, so you'll get brighter light for longer. The discharge curve on nimh is pretty awful - so will rapidly drop from 1.2V down to more like 1.0V - which is why the light isn't seeming very bright, it's being under-volted. With a reg you'll get a nice constant 12V right up to empty

something like this (actually designed for regulating down off a Li-Ion) - nice thing is you can set it to put out 13.2V as opposed to 12V too.

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?P ... rodID=3276

(unfortunately the really high efficiency single chip switchmode regs like the r-78 series just can't shove out the amps required for a halogen - they only give 1amp)
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby diamondback-man on Sun 27/May/07 11:24am

Here's my latest creation it's a triple seoul P4 LED thats way brighter than my old 20w IRC halogen. battery pack is 12x nimh AA's it weighs 370grams and lasts around 2.5 hrs.
DSC_2231.jpg
diamondback-man

Postby Reet on Sun 27/May/07 11:42am

diamondback-man wrote: Here's my latest creation it's a triple seoul P4 LED thats way brighter than my old 20w IRC halogen. battery pack is 12x nimh AA's it weighs 370grams and lasts around 2.5 hrs.
thats looks really cool and light weight and different from the normal halogens. where did you get the leds from?
Reet

Postby Jcuming on Sun 27/May/07 12:08pm

how much did it cost all up diamondback man and where did you get the leds?
Jcuming
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking | Night Riding - Latest Posts