Postby Mr_Bob on Sat 30/Jun/07 5:17pm

Mental note: Run a short out fuse on your light.
I made the mistake of not using one on the "mark one", It shorted out when the cablre was connected to the battery in my backpack, I had to run out of a shop with thick grey smoke coming out of my bag :crazy:
Mr_Bob
"Pedal!"
Member for: 15 years 4 months

Postby Reet on Sun 1/Jul/07 9:13pm

Jcuming wrote: thta baby food tin looks a lot stronger than the lift plus can i was planning on using. wot flavour du u recommend

Aren't the baby food cans made of steel? One word if they are RUST. And steel is a good heat and electricity conductor so those solders better be good.
Reet
Member for: 13 years 3 months

Postby MattV on Sun 1/Jul/07 9:24pm

Mr_Bob wrote: Mental note: Run a short out fuse on your light.
I made the mistake of not using one on the "mark one", It shorted out when the cablre was connected to the battery in my backpack, I had to run out of a shop with thick grey smoke coming out of my bag :crazy:

Al qaeda :lol:
MattV
"If the world was how it should be, maybe I could get some sleep"
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Bike Light Thingy

Postby pbl on Tue 17/Jul/07 10:12am

Here's my variation. The batteries are in a box behind the seat post instead of being in a backpack. It has two outputs and a socket for plugging in a 12v charger.

Box contains 20 x 1.2v AA batteries (2700 mAh). With both 35watt halogens on it lasts for about one hour.
bike-light.jpg
pbl
Member for: 13 years 1 month

Postby nanobot on Sun 22/Jul/07 8:57pm

got 4 P4s in here on a tv heatsink, get a couple of hours from 8 AAs with a home made regulator.
helmlightcrop.jpg
nanobot
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby Datsane on Sun 22/Jul/07 11:10pm

nanobot wrote: got 4 P4s in here on a tv heatsink, get a couple of hours from 8 AAs with a home made regulator.
Wholey shit that must put out some light :crazy:
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"
Member for: 16 years 2 months

Postby nanobot on Mon 23/Jul/07 12:18pm

Datsane wrote:
nanobot wrote: got 4 P4s in here on a tv heatsink, get a couple of hours from 8 AAs with a home made regulator.
Wholey shit that must put out some light :crazy:

yep, though i dont usually run them at full power-gives almost as much light, with much more burn time from the battery pack
nanobot
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby Surveyor_Steve on Mon 23/Jul/07 1:18pm

What excellent ideas. Here's mine. Haven't tried them out yet. Yes, the baby food can will probably rust but that was the easiest thing I had to use at the time. The batteries are 2x 6V SLA that fit in the bottle cages. Not sure how I'm going to carry something to drink though.
Batteries.JPG
Light.JPG
Surveyor_Steve
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby Jcuming on Mon 23/Jul/07 4:21pm

what the ah on those 6v batterys? also is it heavier than a 12v brick?
Jcuming

Postby Surveyor_Steve on Mon 23/Jul/07 4:25pm

Jcuming wrote: what the ah on those 6v batterys? also is it heavier than a 12v brick?
4.2Ah, about half the size and weight of a 12v 7.2Ah brick. 20w halo lasts less time than the brick but still about 2 hours. It means I don't have 2.5kg of lead bouncing around on my back.
Surveyor_Steve

Postby Surveyor_Steve on Mon 23/Jul/07 4:51pm

Just to clarify my answer, the total weight of both 6v SLA's is about half that of the 12v 7.2Ah SLA
Surveyor_Steve

Just Finished These....

Postby yak71 on Tue 24/Jul/07 2:47pm

3x cree q5's mounted in a cut down aluminium jiffy box.