Re: Sifter Goes (bike) Riding

Postby sifter on Fri 16/Sep/11 10:57pm

Oli wrote:Means you are a fucking BEAST. :cool:

:D :love:
sifter
Member for: 16 years 4 months

Postby cruiser on Fri 16/Sep/11 11:34pm

sifter wrote:Gross. I've signed up to do a study at Massey University.

Did a power test this arvo. Started at 270W, added 25W every 2.5 minutes. Lasted to about 2 seconds into the 495W add... Peak power = 474W apparently... Whatever the hell that means :D

Nice one Sifter. It means you can probably come off the main grid and provide your own electricity.

What's Massey researching this time? hope it doesn't involve muscle biopsies.
cruiser
Member for: 11 years 3 months

Postby sifter on Wed 5/Oct/11 9:03am

A couple of good outings in the last few weeks:

I helped out at Revolve's Spring Fling Cycle Tour in the Wairarapa, smashing myself over to the event and back! =} http://sifter-writes-bikes.blogspot.com ... rt-of.html

Last weekend I had a great ride at the Welly Peaks race =} http://sifter-writes-bikes.blogspot.com ... -race.html

Simon and I have just booked accommodation in Waikaremoana for Labour Weekend - we're passing through on a loop from just north of Napier. Should be fun!

Time to get some long road rides in now, those three big weekends in November are starting to loom!
sifter

Postby Joel on Wed 5/Oct/11 2:17pm

go the World Champ!
Joel
"Style over speed"
Member for: 18 years 0 months

Postby Oli on Wed 5/Oct/11 2:23pm

WORLD CHAMPION!!
4711851562_df846655ce_o.jpg
Oli
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby Joel on Wed 5/Oct/11 2:36pm

:love:

he was too big, too strong today.. could not close that gap once he attacked on Col de Happy Valley.
Joel
"Style over speed"
Member for: 18 years 0 months

Postby sifter on Wed 5/Oct/11 2:39pm

Aw shucks! :blush:

Thought I'd take advantage of my lousy aerodynamics, and snuck away as we left Owhiro Bay. Joel got close about half way up the valley, so I sat more upright, and was blown away from him! :D :cool:
sifter

Postby Oli on Wed 5/Oct/11 2:40pm

Sorry, wrong image - not sure who that loser above was? Here's the Man!
SifterWC.JPG
Oli
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby sifter on Sat 15/Oct/11 6:11pm

Had a bit of a quiet week this week, with Kaitlyn on school holidays. Did manage 5 repeats of Mt Vic and one up to the bottom of Carparts with Simon - felt pretty rooted by the end of it. I think the SS was not a great choice...

Had a lovely ride with X_to_the_Y today - we met at the Cenotaph, and cruised out to Waikanae via the Hutt Valley and the Akas. The road's closed to cars still, which made for nice riding.
dsc02784.jpg

The section south of Waikanae sucked pretty much as much as usual, and Paekak Hill was hot work. Though, the view from the top more than made up for it.
dsc02786.jpg

After a coffee and an opportune chat to SteveC at Pauatahanui, we cruised through the 'burbs to cross SH1 at Porirua. At Jville we were both pretty keen to head for home, but somehow coordinated doing so via Makara. More quiet country road was good for the soul, and a nice way to finish a 150km ride. We rode most side by side and nattered away. It was good to get out :)
sifter

Postby sifter on Fri 21/Oct/11 1:53pm

Managed to pick out the two wet patches of this week for rides. A hot (wet and windy) lap of the bays on Monday evening, with a new PB of 54:23 (Freyberg to Brooklyn lights). Was great fun, despite the conditions!

Simon and I did some track work on Tuesday lunchtime, but apart from that, couldn't get our calendars to mesh and did 7xMt Vic on our own. I was on my Turner, which was a real treat after doing the previous sessions on my singlespeed. The off-road descents were particularly fun!

The routes I chose were Hawker St/Hay St/Southern Walkway (to the Crescent)/Hapua St/Kio Bay zigzag/off road from Majoribanks and then Aro Valley to home in the pissing rain for the 7th.

I've now got a freeload.co.nz rack on the back of the Turner, and am heading up to Hawke's Bay with Simon. We're staying in Tuai (at Waikaremoana) on Saturday night, then riding the Moerangi Track to Minginui Sunday before looping back through a series of "I can see them on the map but are they really there" roads!

Hopefully see y'all on the flipside! Enjoy Labour Weekend whatever it has in store for you :)
sifter

Postby sifter on Wed 26/Oct/11 10:07pm

Not 100% as anticipated, but still one of the best trips I've ever done =} http://sifter-writes-bikes.blogspot.com ... bours.html
dsc02855.jpg
sifter

Postby nostromo on Wed 26/Oct/11 11:02pm

Now that is a grouse photo, almost apocalyptic, you just need to be wearing Mad Max 3 garb and have bits of car tyres for shoes..
nostromo
":-("
Member for: 14 years 0 months

Postby sifter on Thu 27/Oct/11 8:58am

Cheers nostromo! That whole stretch was amazing :love:
sifter

Postby sifter on Sun 30/Oct/11 5:37pm

I felt like today's ride was pretty crucial to get my confidence up for a big November. My aim was to ride 200km in 7 hours or so.

I really didn't want to go out when I woke up this morning, but the weather wasn't providing an excuse, and I knew I'd seriously regret it if I piked.

I set out without really knowing where I was headed, but as the hours wore on, the next few were always clear in my mind. I started by heading out to Johnsonville via Makara, then through Tawa and along SH1 as far as Plimmerton. I took Gray's Road to Paekak Hill Rd, then turned right, and did the first section of Haywards through to the Moonshine turn off. After Moonshine and that techy descent, I headed south on SH2 for a bit, over the Silverstream Bridge then up Blue Mountains. Through Whiteman's Valley as far as Maymorn, then a dairy stop at Te Marua. Through Birchville, then over the Akas to Waikanae. I piked on the Valley/Waterfall Rd loop, not keen on the gravel descent with a couple of nastily corrugated corners. Up Paekak Hill, then another quick dairy stop at Pauatahanui. Then over the Haywards proper, before I finally got to enjoy some smooth road and a tailwind for a sweet 40km/h sleigh ride back to Welly. Then, the grovel up to Karori.

200.7km, in an elapsed time of 6h43. Didn't quite make the 30km/h average - the Akas killed that, and I couldn't quite bring it back up before running out of flat road!

I'm very pooped, but also very satisfied. I think I'll enter Taupo Enduro tonight, with a hell of a lot more confidence than I would have a month ago when long rides seemed elusive.

Not sure what I'll do next weekend, but a 6hr MTBO event in Vegas on the 12th (check out http://www.obop.org.nz/ for event details, or http://sifter-writes-bikes.blogspot.com ... chive.html for my write up from last year), followed by Le Petit Brevet on the Banks Peninsula http://lepetitebrevet.blogspot.com/ then Taupo. December's going to be pretty casual I think - might have to give my new Kennett Bros' bible a good thrashing.
Last edited by sifter on Sun 30/Oct/11 5:47pm, edited 1 time in total.
sifter

Postby znomit on Sun 30/Oct/11 5:46pm

sifter wrote:Not sure what I'll do next weekend,

Theres a few of us doing two laps of the Tour de Manawatu, 230km starting stupidly early on sunday morning :thumbsup:
Good lead up to Taupo, kinda lacking in hills though.
znomit
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Cross Country Racing | Cycling | Lower North Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Regions | Road Cycling | Wellington | Wellington Region - Latest Posts