Who Wants To Learn How To Jump?

Postby chewbacca on Wed 21/Mar/07 1:18pm

I am keen to find a crew that is keen to learn how or already can do big arsed jumps, doubles and drops...

Think the fox jump at Terawhiti, long gully, maidstone free-ride track...

I am not going to pretend that I can hit all this stuff but are keen to find a crew that wants to try or who can already hit it.

Trying to hit big stuff on your own is boring and dangerous.

I work in town so often do lunch-time rides, otherwise I have a wagon with a towbar and would be keen on weekend missions and shuttles.

Post or PM me if you are keen.

-Dan.
chewbacca
Member for: 11 years 5 months

Postby Monolith on Wed 21/Mar/07 3:53pm

I need to learn how to mad hukz, as I currently have no skill.

I'm willing to travel a little, can take up to 2 other people with bikes...

where is a good starting point for learning jumps/drops? I've done the little one by the stairs on Mt. Vic, but that's it (and it was damn sketchy) :paranoid:
Monolith
"Look! I still walk away"
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby WHITE_RIDER on Wed 21/Mar/07 3:56pm

lol plz teach me how to jump
WHITE_RIDER
Member for: 11 years 3 months

Postby chewbacca on Wed 21/Mar/07 3:59pm

Monolith wrote: I need to learn how to mad hukz, as I currently have no skill.

where is a good starting point for learning jumps/drops? I've done the little one by the stairs on Mt. Vic, but that's it (and it was damn sketchy) :paranoid:

that one is pretty dodge, watched a friend of mine break his collerbone on that one... there are three other drops on that field... several people have hurt themselves pretty bad on those.

There is a cool/easy jump up Mt. Vic as well, can easily do a 30ft jump off it, and fine to run on a hardtail.

I normally ride Mt. Vic most days around lunchtime and hit other trails sunday mornings.

Let me know when/where suits.
chewbacca

Postby chewbacca on Wed 21/Mar/07 4:01pm

WHITE_RIDER wrote: lol plz teach me how to jump

I aint teaching no one nothing, I just want some cats to crash with, or at least someone around to be able to call an ambulance.
chewbacca

Postby fox on Wed 21/Mar/07 4:02pm

chewbacca wrote:
Monolith wrote: I need to learn how to mad hukz, as I currently have no skill.

that one is pretty dodge, watched a friend of mine break his collerbone on that one... there are three other drops on that field... several people have hurt themselves pretty bad on those.

There is a cool/easy jump up Mt. Vic as well, can easily do a 30ft jump off it, and fine to run on a hardtail.

I normally ride Mt. Vic most days around lunchtime and hit other trails sunday mornings.

Let me know when/where suits.
You are towbared now? Awesome, Will start lunchtime rides in earnest when school holidays start for my last few days of training before secondar schools.
fox
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Postby fox on Wed 21/Mar/07 4:03pm

As for the jumping thing ummm do you have a lg pass?
fox
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Postby phunk on Wed 21/Mar/07 4:04pm

chewbacca wrote:

Which one?
phunk
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Postby chewbacca on Wed 21/Mar/07 4:06pm

fox wrote: As for the jumping thing ummm do you have a lg pass?

yup.
Last edited by chewbacca on Wed 21/Mar/07 4:07pm, edited 1 time in total.
chewbacca

Postby skidston on Wed 21/Mar/07 4:07pm

Yeah, this is what i'm keen on as well.

I used to be quite into jumping, riding at whistler a fair bit, but haven't really been into it since falling and hurting myself. Now i don't really have the balls or the bike, but am keen to ease myself back into it.

What you need is tabletops (not gaps, obviously), with nice straight take-offs, not a dirt-jump style lip - they're only really good for hard tails. The ramps on the rollercoaster are pretty ideal, cos they're dead straight, but it'd be nice to find some mellow tabletops so you can get into hitting transitions.

Man i've been looking at that drop by the stairs for ages - looks soooo do-able, but i always pussy out. I always swear i'm going to go and get my (now decaying) armour and learn it, but it never happens.

I'm probably going to check out the maidstone course on sunday if anyone fancies coming along. It's potentially a VUW bike club trip, so it'll be full of all sorts of abilities, none of which know each other as yet (so totally un-intimidating).
skidston
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby chewbacca on Wed 21/Mar/07 4:08pm

phunk wrote:
chewbacca wrote:

Which one?

chewbacca

Postby chewbacca on Wed 21/Mar/07 4:11pm

skidston wrote: Yeah, this is what i'm keen on as well.

I used to be quite into jumping, riding at whistler a fair bit, but haven't really been into it since falling and hurting myself. Now i don't really have the balls or the bike, but am keen to ease myself back into it.

What you need is tabletops (not gaps, obviously), with nice straight take-offs, not a dirt-jump style lip - they're only really good for hard tails. The ramps on the rollercoaster are pretty ideal, cos they're dead straight, but it'd be nice to find some mellow tabletops so you can get into hitting transitions.

Man i've been looking at that drop by the stairs for ages - looks soooo do-able, but i always pussy out. I always swear i'm going to go and get my (now decaying) armour and learn it, but it never happens.

I'm probably going to check out the maidstone course on sunday if anyone fancies coming along. It's potentially a VUW bike club trip, so it'll be full of all sorts of abilities, none of which know each other as yet (so totally un-intimidating).

i could be keen on maidstone, on sunday.

the step jump is mint, just get lined up beside the tree on the run-in - drop your brakes and hold on... thats it.
chewbacca

Postby CleverNickName on Wed 21/Mar/07 4:12pm

two words: Skils Area
The jumps there are great for getting the feel for jumping, before you progress to other things
CleverNickName
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby chewbacca on Wed 21/Mar/07 4:13pm

CleverNickName wrote:

two words: Skils Area
The jumps there are great for getting the feel for jumping, before you progress to other things

Makara skills area?

Is that any good? I have not been up there for a while but from vorb pics it looks pretty easy...?

I was thinking the table at the top/start of maidstone... thats a decent size table
chewbacca

Postby skidston on Wed 21/Mar/07 4:17pm

Haven't been to the skills area for a while. Last time i was there the drops looked perfect for learning to drop, but the table top really wasn't that sweet - it had a DJ style lip on it that made me want to wee myself
skidston
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Cycling | Lower North Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Regions | Wellington Region - Latest Posts