Postby Datsane on Fri 27/Jun/08 10:26pm

I wonder if they will make you send the drivers back :eh:
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"
Member for: 16 years 5 months

Postby plummet on Sat 28/Jun/08 8:43pm

grrrrrr number 2

batteries turned up and half them were missing.....

thats allright the battery placed admitted there error and are sending more.

Question. Does it matter if you get li-ion batteries wet?
someone said they may not like it and have a melt down.
plummet
Member for: 17 years 5 months

Postby CraigOfMarshall on Sat 28/Jun/08 8:57pm

thought id chuck sumfin in here i build some they are 3 led and housed in pvc pipe they are so bright total cost 40 bucks run them off a 7 aph battery got all the stuff from j a russles a elctrical whole saler
CraigOfMarshall
Member for: 12 years 9 months

Postby tartgrandmother on Sat 28/Jun/08 8:58pm

learn to spell you munter
tartgrandmother
"Blowing cobwebs"
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Postby CraigOfMarshall on Sat 28/Jun/08 9:00pm

tartgrandmother wrote: learn to spell you munter

fuck u carl sum of us arnt as smart as you
CraigOfMarshall
Member for: 12 years 9 months

Postby tartgrandmother on Sat 28/Jun/08 9:04pm

so i figured
tartgrandmother
"Blowing cobwebs"
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Postby Thermo on Mon 30/Jun/08 1:21pm

gtruckus08 wrote:
tartgrandmother wrote: learn to spell you munter

fuck u carl sum of us arnt as smart as you

This is not a school playground. If you want to be taken seriously, write like an adult. Heck, you could even use some big words sometimes.

Edited...
Thermo
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby Jesus-Scotland on Mon 30/Jun/08 11:01pm

My friends family in china have just opened an LED factory. I will be getting some stuff to test in a few months. If anyone has any suggestions on the ultimate build let me know!

ta
Jesus-Scotland
Member for: 13 years 1 month

Running Two Drivers...

Postby nigelp on Wed 2/Jul/08 7:17pm

Can you run two drivers from the same power source? Just having a play with some cheap drivers I purchased from deal extreme. I am running two Seoul Z-LEDs and thinking about using a 800ma driver for each LED wired to the same power source (both wired to the same switch. Will this halve the battery life?
nigelp
Member for: 13 years 1 month

Postby plummet on Wed 2/Jul/08 10:04pm

ahhh... manufacture has started.

rod is being center drilles and threaded. boxes for batteries procured. this weekend should be the big build.
plummet

Postby ArjanH on Sun 6/Jul/08 9:55pm

Hi Guys

Just taken up Mountain Biking and was amazed at the prices of Lighting. What I have is a couple of Car Spotties that I bought for $80. These have an MR16 Fitting inside them so I googled MR16 Cree and this is what I found. http://www.ledshoponline.com/high_power_mr16_led_10deg.htm. I am a little confused about what the angle requirements are for easy riding and the add says 10 degree but the FAQ says 25 degree. I have emailed the people but am still waiting for a reply. Does anybody know anything about them? In theory the cree bulbs should slot straight in. Then I can get rid of the big ass heavy 7AH battery.
ArjanH
Member for: 12 years 3 months

Postby znomit on Sun 6/Jul/08 10:25pm

In general these mr16 bulbs are underpowered ... under driven to reduce heat and inefficient drivers because they have to handle a wide voltage range...
No real details given on this one. Looks like this http://www.3dzled.com/3W%20LED%20MR16.pdf which runs an old luxeon. For 30AUD it might be worth a punt but might not be any better than a halogen.
Angle depends on what trails you ride. A 10 and a 25 is probably a good idea, or two of one and one of the other.
znomit
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby ArjanH on Mon 7/Jul/08 10:56pm

znomit wrote: For 30AUD it might be worth a punt but might not be any better than a halogen.
Angle depends on what trails you ride. A 10 and a 25 is probably a good idea, or two of one and one of the other.

Woah! How much light do you need? I mounted the spotty on my helmet tonight and fitted the 35 Watt new technology halogen. Tonnes and Tonnes of light for 2.9 Amps. I have it from a reasonably reliable source that the Cree type bulbs produces a similar amount of light as a 40 Watt Old technology Halogen.
ArjanH
Member for: 12 years 3 months

Postby znomit on Tue 8/Jul/08 12:46am

Yeah 35w halogen is nice. You need about 10LED watts for this.
znomit
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby plummet on Wed 9/Jul/08 9:33pm

OK finally finished the lights after waiting for 6 weeks for cutter to send me the right bits!

heres the results.

2 cree zr-e q5 1amp leds on the bar and head. mounted in individual tubes for better adjustment options.

8.5 and 10.5 degree carlco lenses on the lid and 20 and 25 degree on the bike.

running off li-ion 11.1v 2.2amp/hr batter packs through 3023 buck puck drivers.
on/off switch on the light and dimming control on the battery pack.

my maths tells me we i'll get around 2.75 hours run time at full ra
my lumen maths tells me i'll be getting around 460-500 lumens per light set less lense efficiency s0 maybe a total of 850 to 900 lumens on the ground.

How do they go?

freaken awsome.

i think 1 of these led's is roughly equivalent to 20watt helogen. My helmet light olone out strips my old 35watt helogen for light.

the light spread on bar and head is perfectly spaced giving me good light from the bar to around 20 meters and then great spot lighting on the head from 20 meters on.

in the attached photo you see the slide at 10meters the wooden swing set at 30 meters and the back wall at 36 meters. The photo doesn't realy do it justice but the whole area is lit up brightly and the wall is easily seen.

final statement. a mate turned up at the night ride last night with a brand new set of ay up lights. even the lights where smaller and lighter the light output (in my opion) was around 30% less than my custom lights and the light spread was not as good. that pleased the hell out of me considering my light were less than half the cost.
DSC07303 (Small).JPG
DSC07304 (Small).JPG
DSC07307 (Small).JPG
DSC07317 (Small).JPG
plummet

Cycling | Mountain Biking | Night Riding - Latest Posts