Postby plummet on Tue 17/Jun/08 10:26pm

any body used this site for batteries.??

seems to have some pretty cheap batteries and chargers for li-ion.

https://www.all-battery.com/index.asp?P ... tegory=289
plummet
Member for: 17 years 4 months

Postby Datsane on Tue 17/Jun/08 11:00pm

Yup. Its an outlet store for batteryspace.

I had abit of trouble with my order, but it was sorted and I was happy in the end.
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"
Member for: 16 years 4 months

Postby CleverNickName on Wed 18/Jun/08 7:45am

plummet wrote: any body used this site for batteries.??

seems to have some pretty cheap batteries and chargers for li-ion.

https://www.all-battery.com/index.asp?P ... tegory=289

There Ebay store is here: http://stores.ebay.com/All-Battery-Center
It seems to have better prices, and are very easy to deal with.
I have a bunch of stuff in transit from them right now
CleverNickName
Member for: 17 years 7 months

Postby plummet on Fri 20/Jun/08 10:25pm

oooh.
led's are here. lenses and drivers monday/tuesday. and i just ordered some li-ions for all battery ebay store........

waiting, waiting...

couple of weeks and we should be all go.... ye ha.

now does anyone want to buy a whole lot of home made halogen lights? doing cheap!. Good friday night price.
plummet

Postby znomit on Fri 20/Jun/08 11:07pm

plummet wrote:
now does anyone want to buy a whole lot of home made halogen lights? doing cheap!. Good friday night price.

I turned my old halogens into shed lights.
znomit
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby nigelp on Sun 22/Jun/08 7:49pm

I have finally got all my gear from Deal Extreme. May up a couple of lights this weekend, one for night riding and one for commuting. I have attached some pics FYI. I have left the ends open to aid in cooling as without that they got pretty warm.

A couple of questions I have now are:

What degrees optics are everyone using? I have 9 and 14 but even the 9 seems too wide and not that focused. I got my optics from deal extreme also but any other sources? Am thinking about going 5 or 4 with a 9 as flood lighting.

What type of battery life can I expect? I am running two Cree LEDs with buckpuck 1000ma and 6 2500maH AA batteries. I have got spare battery pack just in case but is there somewhere I can calculated expected run time?

Lastly, where can I find a knob for the Buckpuck dimmer? It didnt come with one and can find any in Jaycar of DSE.

Thanks
main.jpg
main back.jpg
commuter.jpg
nigelp
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Postby znomit on Sun 22/Jun/08 8:44pm

Hard to call on the optics, they are all different. The OPTX series from ledsupply are good becasue you can throw a filter on the front for wide or oval. Some places quote 9 degree at +/-9 but other are full width.
I like these from Kai for the road but too narrow for trails.
http://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/ProductD ... ranID=1603
You cant beat kai or dx on price anywhere but quality is another matter!

Updated ones, these look promising, available at cutter.com.au soon. Mix and match.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=196801

You should get a couple of hrs on high, though you'll probably run short on volts about halfway with only 6AAs so things will gradually dim. LEDs need 3.6v each at 1A, NiMH run 1.1-1.3. Better to run 8AAs, that will keep your light at 1A till they run out.
znomit
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby Fraser on Tue 24/Jun/08 5:47am

I have a Nexus dyno hub 3w 6v as decribed in this link. Which has a switch and automatic light sensor. www.peterwhitecycles.com/nexus.asp

I have space for a small battery in my 'tank' its a Schwinn Newsboy frame. What I would like to do is run the dyno to charge a battery which can then power 3 x 3w LED and 1 x 3w tail light. Battery space is 5cm x 10cm.
Any suggestions :eh:
Fraser
Member for: 18 years 9 months

Postby Datsane on Tue 24/Jun/08 1:41pm

Less load on the hub.
And a 3W Tail light would be nasty bright or is that the idea :eh:
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"

Postby Fraser on Wed 25/Jun/08 7:58am

I want to run a custom light on my chrome mudguards It will be one LED which will run down the edge similar to the taillights on a 6 series BMW. I am starting to go slightly lowrider on my Schwinn as its as flat as a witches tit here in Finland.
Fraser
Member for: 18 years 9 months

Terveisiä Suomeen ;)

Postby matakivi on Wed 25/Jun/08 1:28pm

Here's mine:

6*5W Edison led's inline with small arc (driven only by 500mA) and 1*5W Luxeon on helmet unit. All lenses are 25 degrees.

I find narrow lenses irritating, because you get "hot spot" that is so bright that it's hard to see what's happening in ambient light. Although trails here in Dunedin are so much faster and easier, compared to Finnish ones that light was made for, that i might try few 10 degree lenses on the middle of the handlebar unit...

1000mA and 750mA drivers, 6 led unit is formed from 3+3 units connected parallel. 14,4V 5Ah Nimh-battery.
matakivi
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby Datsane on Wed 25/Jun/08 3:32pm

Nice set up. I'd run them then other way around or is the 6 to heavy?
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"

My Light

Postby Flash on Fri 27/Jun/08 1:19pm

I have been reading this forum for some time and having built several halogen lights decided it was time to build my own LED set up.I got a kit from cutter Triple cree P4 with medium angle optics and a Bfex driver.Cost $125 NZ all up inc heatsink.I have acess to a lathe at work and some free time on nightshift ;) so made up my own housing.The light output is amazing but would like a narrower optic for helmet mount as distance could be better.I may build another light for helmet but so much light seems extavagent. :crazy:
My light 1.jpg
My light 2.jpg
My light 3.jpg
Flash
Member for: 12 years 3 months

Postby jeremyb on Fri 27/Jun/08 2:07pm

Very nice!! :thumbsup:
jeremyb
"www.derailled.co.nz - New Zealand Cycling Forum"
Member for: 17 years 8 months

Postby plummet on Fri 27/Jun/08 10:18pm

grrr.

i just got my shipment from cutter.

Waited 5 looong weeks and they stuffed it up.

i ordered some buck pucks with internal pot the buggers charged me for the internal pot then gave me the non adjustable one.

also the carlco lenses i got of them supposedly designed for Cree Xr-e doesn't fit my xr-e led. Basstards.
plummet

Cycling | Mountain Biking | Night Riding - Latest Posts