Postby Rider-man-Cam on Wed 7/May/08 4:59pm

not to clued up on this sort of thing so forgive me but.... im using 3 larger LEDs from school (i can get away with free lights this way) what kind of power would i need for these. or if that makes no sensewhich it probably doesnt, could somebody set me straight
Rider-man-Cam
Member for: 12 years 11 months

Postby UK_Exile on Mon 12/May/08 3:29pm

What about trademe listing 154346523 ?

Looks like 2 or 3 would make an ideal DIY high power LED setup as it's Cree Q5 with reflector and 275 lumens. Way easier to mount than plain LEDs and complete with reflector.

Being a light bulb replacement & says with DC-DC regulated output I assume that it's just connect to a battery & go. Correct ?
UK_Exile
Member for: 15 years 1 month

Postby UK_Exile on Mon 12/May/08 3:34pm

maounted could be mounted in a V can ? chepa easy LED ?
UK_Exile
Member for: 15 years 1 month

Postby ryda on Mon 12/May/08 3:38pm

SC said that at the Moonride she was stuggling with depth perception......I think someone said that if you use a halogen and led it well improve this ??? is this true and would I get the same effect by puting a yellowish lens over her bar LED lamp ?
ryda
"WTF"
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby Datsane on Mon 12/May/08 3:48pm

ryda wrote: SC said that at the Moonride she was stuggling with depth perception......I think someone said that if you use a halogen and led it well improve this ??? is this true and would I get the same effect by puting a yellowish lens over her bar LED lamp ?
Running my LEDs I had the same problem as with most others running them. Wasn't so much the depth perception for me, but more like having plenty of light but the mud wouldn't give enough shadow to see where it was. Heard someone say that the track seemed to be sucking to good light out of the LED's, I would tend to agree with it as when on my night lap everytime I would have the yellowish tint of a halogen come up behind me I'd shit myself because I could suddenly see what I was about to ride into :crazy:

I'm looking into a yellowish tinted cover for my helmet light. I wonder if a polarized filter would work :eh: Something for Vert to trying having them for his camera, only when you want to look at your bike again though.
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"
Member for: 16 years 2 months

Postby bakedog on Mon 12/May/08 3:56pm

Hey,

I was wondering what equipment/stuff I'll need for making a reasonably decent light set in an affordable price range? What kind of bulbs will I need at what voltage or wattage? What size battery will I need and at what size? If someone has a "recipe" for a decent light set that would be great.

Thanks for the help

Nick
bakedog
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Postby ryda on Mon 12/May/08 4:00pm

Datsane wrote:
ryda wrote: SC said that at the Moonride she was stuggling with depth perception......I think someone said that if you use a halogen and led it well improve this ??? is this true and would I get the same effect by puting a yellowish lens over her bar LED lamp ?
Running my LEDs I had the same problem as with most others running them. Wasn't so much the depth perception for me, but more like having plenty of light but the mud wouldn't give enough shadow to see where it was. Heard someone say that the track seemed to be sucking to good light out of the LED's, I would tend to agree with it as when on my night lap everytime I would have the yellowish tint of a halogen come up behind me I'd shit myself because I could suddenly see what I was about to ride into :crazy:

I'm looking into a yellowish tinted cover for my helmet light. I wonder if a polarized filter would work :eh: Something for Vert to trying having them for his camera, only when you want to look at your bike again though.

I can see what your thinking http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics-ph ... 776142.htm

but maybe polarizing glasses might be the go
ryda
"WTF"

Postby ryda on Mon 12/May/08 4:06pm

ryda
"WTF"

Postby danose on Mon 12/May/08 4:10pm

Datsane wrote:I would tend to agree with it as when on my night lap everytime I would have the yellowish tint of a halogen come up behind me I'd shit myself because I could suddenly see what I was about to ride into :crazy:

were you running a headlamp only? if so it sounds like your problem isn't the colour of leds vs halogen, more the normal issue you get with any single source - lack of shadow

I've run both halogen+led and led+led - both work well :thumbsup:
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"

Postby Scaredy_Cat on Mon 12/May/08 4:14pm

danose wrote:
Datsane wrote:I would tend to agree with it as when on my night lap everytime I would have the yellowish tint of a halogen come up behind me I'd shit myself because I could suddenly see what I was about to ride into :crazy:

were you running a headlamp only? if so it sounds like your problem isn't the colour of leds vs halogen, more the normal issue you get with any single source - lack of shadow

*dips toe into scary technical thread*

Had plenty of light (bar & helmet) to see the scenery with.. just that the mud seemed to reflect/look like a flat surface... made it very hard for me to pick up where the hard lines were forming... and had several random off's during the night that I could see the reason for as it got light!!! :blush: :(
Scaredy_Cat
""RIDER!!!" :-D"
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby RussS on Mon 12/May/08 4:36pm

Datsane wrote: Running my LEDs I had the same problem as with most others running them. Wasn't so much the depth perception for me, but more like having plenty of light but the mud wouldn't give enough shadow to see where it was. Heard someone say that the track seemed to be sucking to good light out of the LED's, I would tend to agree with it as when on my night lap everytime I would have the yellowish tint of a halogen come up behind me I'd shit myself because I could suddenly see what I was about to ride into :crazy:

Kind of hard to know exactly what to call it. Depth perception might work, but I think there could be a better term. Basically the conditions and that particular soil caused issues. First time out I ran LED/LED and could not really establish the texture of what I was riding on. Later I used HID on the bars and suffered because it totally over-rode my Ay-Ups on the helmet.
Sitting back and thinking about it the problem is as described, but not only with LEDs. The soil composition appeared to be such that no matter if it was LED, HID or Halogen that definition was an issue. We rode a lot of those trails over Anzac weekend to try out different light setups and found most systems were working better there than at our local track as there was a lot less ambient light, however this past weekend the shadows were not showing up and that made line selection a lottery.
RussS
Member for: 14 years 0 months

Postby Datsane on Mon 12/May/08 4:38pm

Scaredy_Cat wrote:
danose wrote:

Had plenty of light (bar & helmet) to see the scenery with.. just that the mud seemed to reflect/look like a flat surface... made it very hard for me to pick up where the hard lines were forming... and had several random off's during the night that I could see the reason for as it got light!!! :blush: :(
I'd say the same thing. My local XC track was fine even just my bar mount was enough to see.

After the first round of night laps everyone was saying the the lines were getting smaller and smaller. When I did my lap there were none :crazy:
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"

Postby slidecontrol on Mon 12/May/08 4:42pm

Scaredy_Cat wrote:
danose wrote:

I agree with what Danose is saying, newer more powerful lights available for helmet mounting make the problem worse as a rider might have a bar and helmet light of similar output, but as is typical the helmet light will have a narrower beam, concentrating the output and boosting the lux rating.
ie: if your helmet light is of equal or greater brightness to the bar light, the shadowing that the bar light creates to give depth perception, gets washed out by the helmet mount.

I noticed this effect over the weekend while running just my ayups. but when I threw the triple on the bars as well, I had excellent depth perception.
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby Datsane on Mon 12/May/08 5:20pm

slidecontrol wrote:
Scaredy_Cat wrote:
danose wrote:

I agree with what Danose is saying, newer more powerful lights available for helmet mounting make the problem worse as a rider might have a bar and helmet light of similar output, but as is typical the helmet light will have a narrower beam, concentrating the output and boosting the lux rating.
ie: if your helmet light is of equal or greater brightness to the bar light, the shadowing that the bar light creates to give depth perception, gets washed out by the helmet mount.

I noticed this effect over the weekend while running just my ayups. but when I threw the triple on the bars as well, I had excellent depth perception.
Was running a single bar and double head lamp.
But sounds like alot of people were having the same trouble not just people running the LED's. Maybe LED runners noticed it more because with the whiter light its normally better then the yellowish halogen.

Personally I was to stuffed to try adjusting my lights any. I had my bar turnned down alittle (maybe alot) to save battery life and the helmet light was on full. On the fire roads it was fine but once it was one the soft fluffy (peat like) dirt mixed with the mud, I kept checking my light was on.
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"

Postby CleverNickName on Tue 20/May/08 3:04pm

So I have a bunch of Cree Q5's on their way to me, so have started pondering which optics I need.

In the past I've always run ~10° spot on the helmet and want to replicate that.

Which optics work well for this sort of setup? Do any stand out as being better than the rest? Is it worth mixing it up a little and getting 2 spots and a flood?
CleverNickName
Member for: 17 years 6 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking | Night Riding - Latest Posts