Postby danose on Wed 18/Jul/07 12:54pm

VERT wrote: actually I just though, would I need to cycle the battery through several times before I got its full potential?

no - lithium ions don't suffer any of those sort of problems
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 16 years 4 months

Postby Datsane on Thu 19/Jul/07 9:58am

Did you use the battery during the build stage?
Then not recharge it.
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"

Postby VERT on Thu 19/Jul/07 9:05pm

Datsane wrote: Did you use the battery during the build stage?
Then not recharge it.

this could be what happened, I am also finding cycling charges through my battery it is lasting long each time.

Though when the battery goes it just shuts off straight away, I am not happy with this, is there anyway I can stop this from happening?

I got my cooling sorted, went for a ride tonight with just 1 LED and while its bot as good as my Halogen its still pretty mint!! 2 which is what I plan on running I think should be perfect.
light.jpg
Needs shorter cable
VERT
Member for: 17 years 10 months

Postby Datsane on Thu 19/Jul/07 9:25pm

VERT wrote:
Datsane wrote: Did you use the battery during the build stage?
Then not recharge it.

this could be what happened, I am also finding cycling charges through my battery it is lasting long each time.

Though when the battery goes it just shuts off straight away, I am not happy with this, is there anyway I can stop this from happening?
http://nobmob.com/node/1043?page=0,1
Gives extra driver functions like a low battery warning etc...

Here is one of my twins :) not finished yet but so far I like it
lights.jpg
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"

Postby VERT on Thu 2/Aug/07 8:26am

Anyone buy some LEDs recently from Dealextreme? I have bought a couple lots and cannot get any of them to work :(
VERT

Postby pb on Thu 2/Aug/07 8:48am

I have some in transit. I will let you know how they go when they arrive.
pb
"Mmmm, Beer."
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby lil_bro on Thu 2/Aug/07 9:19am

VERT wrote: Anyone buy some LEDs recently from Dealextreme? I have bought a couple lots and cannot get any of them to work :(

Aparently some had the emitter soldered to the star the wrong way around, could be that?

One of the litte protrusions sticking out the side has a small notch taken out of it, this should be soldered to the negative side of the star, if not then thats your problem.
lil_bro
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby VERT on Thu 2/Aug/07 9:35am

lil_bro wrote:
VERT wrote: Anyone buy some LEDs recently from Dealextreme? I have bought a couple lots and cannot get any of them to work :(

Aparently some had the emitter soldered to the star the wrong way around, could be that?

One of the litte protrusions sticking out the side has a small notch taken out of it, this should be soldered to the negative side of the star, if not then thats your problem.

yep reversing the polarity made it work (dodgy...)

cheers
VERT

Postby swtchbckr on Thu 2/Aug/07 10:17am

so. how much $$$ you fella's chucking into these lights? just out of interest???

(sorry, i havent waded back through all the posts or clicked on any of the links in the early days...)
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby inzane on Thu 2/Aug/07 12:46pm

I read all this stuff and ended up buying an iblaast from nightlightning for $299 and Li-ion battery and charger for about $80 from batteryworld.

I read all this while I was unemployed and had lots of time and no money...

I now have less time and little more money and so took the easier option out!
inzane
"Ride better, ride faster"
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby lil_bro on Thu 2/Aug/07 4:15pm

swtchbc \":)\" kr wrote: so. how much $$$ you fella's chucking into these lights? just out of interest???

(sorry, i havent waded back through all the posts or clicked on any of the links in the early days...)

I spent under a hundy on the light itself, then about $150 for a (large) lithium-ion and charger (ie, a bit more than 5 hours at full tit), overnight at lower power levels

Pic of my light here, but not everyone is lucky enough to have a lathe to play on. Bits of alu tube, and some solid rod to fill 'em will make a pretty decent light
http://www.vorb.org.nz/ftopic-60260-days0-orderasc-45.html

It's mainly been the time investment thats been the issue, and wanting to make something better, and cheaper than what's available on the market, plus power tools are fun :)
lil_bro
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby Datsane on Thu 2/Aug/07 7:09pm

lil_bro wrote:It's mainly been the time investment thats been the issue, and wanting to make something better, and cheaper than what's available on the market, plus power tools are fun :)
I found that I spent more time looking at prices specs etc... then building the first light :lol:

Playing with my tools are a big part of making them.
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"

Postby pb on Thu 2/Aug/07 7:12pm

VERT wrote:
lil_bro wrote:

yep reversing the polarity made it work (dodgy...)

cheers

Might pay to ckeck the interface between the emitter and the star too. Sounds like some of them arent quite sitting flat of the star, not the best for thermal conductivity. If it is sitting square and you cant see any gaps under it things should be okay.
pb
"Mmmm, Beer."
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby hickie on Mon 8/Oct/07 7:33pm

Those in to building cheap lights may wish to check out

http://www.dealextreme.com/products.dx/category.499

I originally got the link via Aardvark and a google search seems to indicate it's legit but haven't ordered anything yet!
hickie
"I've got a singletrack mind..."
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby Datsane on Mon 8/Oct/07 10:41pm

Ordered off them and are sweet. Free post means free post also even to NZ :thumbsup:
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"

Cycling | Mountain Biking | Night Riding - Latest Posts