Rides In And Around Kaikoura?

Postby Frijole on Wed 24/Jan/07 9:40pm

Hi All,

Heading up to Kaikoura on the weekend, thought we'd take the bikes. Does anyone know of any rides within easy access of Kaikoura? Preferably for single track, 1-2 hour ride, nothing too extreme.

Any suggestions thoughts?

Cheers in advance.
Frijole
Member for: 16 years 4 months

Postby Agrosheep on Wed 24/Jan/07 9:44pm

When your up here go see dwayne in at r&r sports in town, he'll point you in the right direction! :thumbsup:
Agrosheep
"Like a well hung cowboy"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby Frijole on Thu 25/Jan/07 8:39am

Cheers Agro,

I was so swamped with reply posts I have only just managed to get time to relpy :) . Anyway looks like youve hit teh nail on the head, Cheers.
Frijole
Member for: 16 years 4 months

Postby El_DHer on Thu 25/Jan/07 8:43am

yea i live here in kaikaikoura you could go up around fyffe palmer, we have half built a mtb park with a xc small xc track thats only half done or ride up mt fyffe and back dwn but yer go to r&r and ask for dwayne he will tell ya
El_DHer
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby Xman on Thu 25/Jan/07 8:48am

Good to see you guys are getting somewhere trackwise. When I left Kaikoura 2 years ago there was bugger all in the way of riding. I agree though, that Dwayne is the man to see about riding in the area.
Xman
Member for: 17 years 3 months

Postby Rinnacin on Fri 2/Feb/07 11:28am

Yerh there quite a bit more riding in kaikoura now, there's the KMC(kaikoura mountain bike club) jump/XC park, there some easy but fun jump lines established and some bigger lines getting worked on, the cross country track is a little bit rough atm, but it hasnt had much work on it, although donw towards the end theres load of fun pumps balance beams and rollovers for the intermediate XC rider, and if urr into freeride/DH theres no actual MTB DH or Freeride tracks, although we have hold of property for one!! :) but the walk tracks are quite fun as not many people walk them because there away from town, there's also a walk track going over the peninsula if urr a XC ride who can cope with uphill and downhill which is quite fun and has been just done up big time, and then there town for urban riders the new town square has lots of steps and concrete slabs for the urban riders and then theres the skate park for that aswell. theres a few private dirt jumps aswell in peoples back yards and locals always keen to show you around kaikoura!! :p and thats about all, i'll keep u informed on the riding in Kaikoura
101_4815(2).JPG
the new part on the penisula walk track
Rinnacin

Postby Rinnacin on Fri 2/Feb/07 11:30am

:thumbsup:
panoramic of the 15.jpg
one of the new jumps at the KMC jump park
Rinnacin

Postby bugle on Fri 2/Feb/07 11:39am

mmmmmm MT Fyfe
bugle
"Bah, who hasn't killed the neighbour and rooted their corpse after one too many cab savs?"
Member for: 18 years 3 months

Postby Rinnacin on Fri 2/Feb/07 11:43am

bugle wrote: mmmmmm MT Fyfe

mmmmmm it would be heaven to have Dh and freeride tracks scatterd all over it, but ther stupid council doc and other nature bums, sed we'll kill the tree's birds and other stuff.....rhhhh
101_4806.jpg
Mt fyffe
Rinnacin

Postby Clarky on Fri 2/Feb/07 12:17pm

Kaikoura Coast Track http://www.mountainbike.co.nz/rides/mtb ... ry/91.html

Prices may have changed though.... :)
Clarky
Member for: 17 years 10 months

Postby Butch on Mon 5/Feb/07 8:48pm

so how do you get to these tracks? might have to come down for a mission some time
Butch
"Like a monkey, ready to be shot into space!"

Postby Rinnacin on Tue 6/Feb/07 7:48pm

Butch wrote: so how do you get to these tracks? might have to come down for a mission some time

well i could drag on and on about it, whats your main style of riding??, ohh and we've etablished a DH track and a Road gap
101_5237.jpg
Kaikoura Roadie
Rinnacin

Postby Butch on Tue 6/Feb/07 8:34pm

Bit of trail, bit of dh. I'm not very good though.. :blush:

Is the DH track shuttlable? Or is it a push up jobby?
Butch

Postby Rinnacin on Tue 6/Feb/07 8:44pm

Butch wrote: Bit of trail, bit of dh. I'm not very good though.. :blush:

Is the DH track shuttlable? Or is it a push up jobby?

theres gunna b one made b for mid year thats shuttable, but there all push ups atm, umm trails as in ryan leech trials?, theres lots of urb stuff u could do trails on ;)
Rinnacin

Postby Butch on Tue 6/Feb/07 8:49pm

Urr, no, I meant trail riding as in xc without all the freaky lycra and racing stuff going on.

I'm way to unco to do trials
Butch

Canterbury | Cycling | Middle South Island | New Zealand | Regions - Latest Posts