Re: Roadies - Where Did You Ride Today?

Postby znomit on Sun 7/Dec/14 12:51pm

Round the block with kiwirandonneurs yesterday.

Daughter was throwing up until midnight so I only got 3 hrs sleep before the 5am start in Waikanae.

Really nice conditions for the early run over the Akatarawas and Rimatukas into Martinbourough for breakfast. Overcast with little wind.
Backroads through to Masterton for a pie as the clouds cleared and the wind picked up.

Followed route 52 to Alfredton and then the backroad through to Pahiatua for a sandwich before turning into the wind for the grovel up to and over the Pahiatua track.

Skirted Palmy and picked up a pack of jet planes at Linton and a bag of chips in Shannon. Big rest here after 265km and put on my warm gear, quite disappointed the gas station was out of pies. Knocked off the last few small hills before Levin and then headed down the highway to Otaki (official finish, 303km, about 16:40). Bit of a rest here before the last 15km back to the car in Waikanae, as it started to rain.

Reasonably happy with the ride, a bit slower than last year but there was an extra 500m of climbing and I was solo the whole way. And I finished well. The preceding three big rides have all been very tough which obviously helped.


http://connect.garmin.com/activity/646438416
znomit
User avatar
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Re: Roadies - Where Did You Ride Today?

Postby MadAndrew on Tue 9/Dec/14 8:59am

My race report for the 2014 Maxi Enduro at Taupo. Not such a good outcome for me this year. However, huge congratulations to Jeremy Rowe for his win ... and in the face of international cheating too!
http://andrewendurancecycling.blogspot.co.nz/2014/12/the-2014-taupo-maxi-enduro.html
MadAndrew
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Re: Roadies - Where Did You Ride Today?

Postby znomit on Tue 23/Dec/14 12:43am

Reading Sifters ride report on his ride up through Apiti inspired me to head up there myself on Sunday night, its been a while.

Decided to do it the easy way, riding up through Kimboulton and then bouncing down through the hills around the Pohangina river.
Caught a nice tailwind north and made very good time despite stopping in Kimboulton and Apiti for water. I knocked of the worst of the climbs after Apiti and was about to settle in to some long downhill stretches from the 80km mark when my gears started skipping. I pulled over and had a quick look but couldn't see anything wrong. It was getting dark and trying to rain so I continued on for about 500m...

Chain1.jpg


I pulled out my phone and it showed one bar, briefly, then nothing. Out came the chain tool, off came the offending link and I sort of got the chain back together. Had no idea how long it would last so I coasted a lot and climbed very slowly. It got me through all the hills before I had to press the pin back in again about 30km later, and again when I got into Ashhurst. Finally home after about 6:15/133km.

Chain2.jpg


http://connect.garmin.com/activity/654234379
znomit
User avatar
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Re: Roadies - Where Did You Ride Today?

Postby LaPommeDeTere on Sat 3/Jan/15 9:35pm

should have swung in on the way by and picked me up....




znomit wrote:Reading Sifters ride report on his ride up through Apiti inspired me to head up there myself on Sunday night, its been a while.

Decided to do it the easy way, riding up through Kimboulton and then bouncing down through the hills around the Pohangina river.
Caught a nice tailwind north and made very good time despite stopping in Kimboulton and Apiti for water. I knocked of the worst of the climbs after Apiti and was about to settle in to some long downhill stretches from the 80km mark when my gears started skipping. I pulled over and had a quick look but couldn't see anything wrong. It was getting dark and trying to rain so I continued on for about 500m...

Chain1.jpg


I pulled out my phone and it showed one bar, briefly, then nothing. Out came the chain tool, off came the offending link and I sort of got the chain back together. Had no idea how long it would last so I coasted a lot and climbed very slowly. It got me through all the hills before I had to press the pin back in again about 30km later, and again when I got into Ashhurst. Finally home after about 6:15/133km.

Chain2.jpg


http://connect.garmin.com/activity/654234379
LaPommeDeTere
Member for: 6 years 11 months

Re: Roadies - Where Did You Ride Today?

Postby Rik on Sat 3/Jan/15 11:53pm

Took me old trusty Raleigh out for a spin down by the river. I had forgotten how much fun the old steelies are to ride.

DSC_0310.jpg
Rik
User avatar
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Re: Roadies - Where Did You Ride Today?

Postby znomit on Sun 4/Jan/15 10:41pm

Crazy clouds and full moon over the Pahiatua Track tonight

Trek1.jpg
znomit
User avatar
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Re: Roadies - Where Did You Ride Today?

Postby happybaboon on Sun 4/Jan/15 11:17pm

Those clouds are whack, yo.
happybaboon
User avatar
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 18 years 2 months

Re: Roadies - Where Did You Ride Today?

Postby jimmi on Fri 9/Jan/15 7:36am

I got a couple of days leave pass so thought I should do my first roadie mini tour (Ive done a few on the MTB).

Stats: 486km over two days with approx 26 hours of riding time.

Started at Opotiki and went up the gorge and over to Gizzy then up the coast and stayed at Tokomaru Bay. Next morning (3:45am!) rode up through Te Araroa, Hicks Bay, and back down the coast to Opotiki.

Long days, but a great ride.
jimmi
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Re: Roadies - Where Did You Ride Today?

Postby jimmi on Mon 12/Jan/15 1:01pm

jimmi wrote:I got a couple of days leave pass so thought I should do my first roadie mini tour (Ive done a few on the MTB).

Stats: 486km over two days with approx 26 hours of riding time.

Started at Opotiki and went up the gorge and over to Gizzy then up the coast and stayed at Tokomaru Bay. Next morning (3:45am!) rode up through Te Araroa, Hicks Bay, and back down the coast to Opotiki.

Long days, but a great ride.


Here's a bit of a journal and some pics if you're interested:
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o= ... 15446&v=1Y
jimmi
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Re: Roadies - Where Did You Ride Today?

Postby Farm on Mon 12/Jan/15 1:49pm

Good tale Jimmi, thanks. It's a very nice looking piece of the world alright. Tough ride on one gear too.
:thumbsup:
Farm
User avatar
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Re: Roadies - Where Did You Ride Today?

Postby znomit on Mon 12/Jan/15 2:51pm

Great ride Jimmi, I'm contemplating 3 day ride from Taihape around there at Easter.

Meanwhile it looks like you have the legs and gear for the Waiting weekend 650 in the middle of the island
https://www.kiwirandonneurs.org.nz/ride ... -excursion
znomit
User avatar
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Re: Roadies - Where Did You Ride Today?

Postby LaPommeDeTere on Sun 18/Jan/15 7:22pm

rode 65km into a nasty hot WNW wind to watch the track racing at the Levin Track. Lots of fun and great racing. The 12 Lap Open was great! 2 Guys and 1 girl rode of the front, lead from the end of nuetral lap whilst the bunch just watched them ride away with no one wanting to be the one to chase. 1.5 laps to go the bunch wound it up ... and the 2 lads in the break took 1st and 2nd with the normally top riders had to settle for a sprint for 3rd . Which was taken out in a full on 150m sprint by our sponsored lad Thomas.....
Very exciting race and a good add to Tom's fastest 500m TT over all grades on the day and only .3 of a second slower than his gold winning time at Invers last year. So given Levin is outdoor a stunning time.
Big ups to the team at Optimal Flow for the great coaching, great to see him improving.
LaPommeDeTere
Member for: 6 years 11 months

Re: Roadies - Where Did You Ride Today?

Postby znomit on Sun 1/Feb/15 7:30pm

203km brevet with kiwirandonneurs yesterday, 240km with the commute out to Feilding and back. Very lumpy course and very warm. I drank about 6-7 litres, and it all came out in sweat. Had to double flush a pee when I got home. :o

We were pretty excited because we had heard the road had finally been sealed (previously there had been about a km of gravel)... unfortunately along with the sealing of the final km they have been bust putting fresh seal on a lot of roads in the district.

Quite happy to take an hour and a half off last winters time, despite the heat and the gravel.

Apologies for the strange distances, garminconnect is struggling with a bug in the Etrex.
http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/687081416
znomit
User avatar
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Re: Roadies - Where Did You Ride Today?

Postby LaPommeDeTere on Tue 3/Feb/15 9:48pm

znomit wrote:203km brevet with kiwirandonneurs yesterday, 240km with the commute out to Feilding and back. Very lumpy course and very warm. I drank about 6-7 litres, and it all came out in sweat. Had to double flush a pee when I got home. :o

We were pretty excited because we had heard the road had finally been sealed (previously there had been about a km of gravel)... unfortunately along with the sealing of the final km they have been bust putting fresh seal on a lot of roads in the district.

Quite happy to take an hour and a half off last winters time, despite the heat and the gravel.

Apologies for the strange distances, garminconnect is struggling with a bug in the Etrex.
http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/687081416


MadAndrews been putting up some great pictures on FB page today. Wish I could have made it :-(
Saw the surgeon today and got the staples out, he please with my progress, Im walking unsupported and managed about 3km today.
He said I could ride a spin bike or other upright bike in about 4 weeks. But thinks it will be at least 3 months before I can get back down in the drops. But he has put in a permanent fix with hinged rods as opposed to the fixed fusion rods. Mean time Ive go a N+1 in the garage getting stipped and I'll begin the polishing and build back up. Sweet 1990 Vitus all Alloy with Durace 8 speed. Might build up for rando / touring :-)
LaPommeDeTere
Member for: 6 years 11 months

Re: Roadies - Where Did You Ride Today?

Postby znomit on Mon 2/Mar/15 11:07pm

210 yesterday, Chch to Hammer. Hot and headwindy.
310 today, Hammer to Nelson, hot and tailwindy. Day off tomorrow.
znomit
User avatar
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Cycling | Road Cycling - Latest Posts

Who is online

72 Users browsing this website: Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSN [Bot], mudguard and 68 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • Wiggle
  • Chain Reaction Cycles
  • GT Bicycles
  • ProBikeKit
  • Vorb Shop