Rode up to Mangaweka for a toasted sandwich today. Pretty yummy :thumbsup:
Coffee a little ordinary though :(
Took the scenic route home.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/148225674
znomit
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Re: Roadies - Where Did You Ride Today?

Postby 6Bikes on Thu 9/Feb/12 10:06pm

looks like you are clocking up the miles before ultimate Tim.

I rode out to the Ruapuna race, then to gebbies, up the bastard and back home last night. Fantastic full moon which made for a nice ride over the hills. Only 135k though. Need a big one this weekend.
6Bikes
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby znomit on Thu 9/Feb/12 10:15pm

6Bikes wrote:looks like you are clocking up the miles before ultimate Tim.

I rode out to the Ruapuna race, then to gebbies, up the bastard and back home last night. Fantastic full moon which made for a nice ride over the hills. Only 135k though. Need a big one this weekend.

Yeah, put some comfy compact bars on and have ditched the hammer perpetuem in favor of junk food. Seemed to work ok today. mmmm snickers bars. Lingering cold slowed me down a little. I've got a 3 or 4 day tour lined up in a few weeks which should knock me into shape. :thumbsup:
znomit

Postby 6Bikes on Sun 12/Feb/12 9:25pm

240KM for me yesterday. Solo from home to Gebbies, teddington, Governors to the Kiwi, round to prebbleton, and around the airport to home for some supplies, then met up with the Velocity team boys for a ride out to loburn, and oxford way. Was not expecting the hammerfest it turned into so sat on the back mostly , then bonked at the end a bit. Trying Perpeutem for the first time, so may need to increase my mixture. Nice day though after a cold start. :)
6Bikes
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby Joel on Thu 16/Feb/12 2:36pm

good smash around makara loop with detours up wadestown etc. I know i have had a good ride when a workmate comments that i look ill when i get back to my desk.
Joel
"Style over speed"
Member for: 18 years 7 months

Postby way_downsouth on Thu 16/Feb/12 4:45pm

It's been a while since I posted here, but thought I would cause I loved todays ride.

Karori - Mt Vic - Duncan Terrace - Hungerford Road - Houghton Bay Road - Britomart/Farnham Streets - Wind Turbine - Radar Dome/end of seal - Aro St - toward George Denton Park - Moana St - Glenmore St - work.

Nice to get a reasonable amount of climbing in before work and is a bit of preparation for next weekends 5hrs of maximum ascended metre's.
way_downsouth
"Average at best"
Member for: 17 years 6 months

Postby piwakawaka on Thu 16/Feb/12 6:16pm

What's next weekend?
piwakawaka
Member for: 8 years 9 months

Postby way_downsouth on Thu 16/Feb/12 8:18pm

As much climbing as i can in 5 hours followed by an Aka's loop on sunday
way_downsouth
"Average at best"
Member for: 17 years 6 months

Postby piwakawaka on Thu 16/Feb/12 8:39pm

Here's my hills ride http://connect.garmin.com/activity/140435995 chuck in Wesrview access road for another 200m vertical 9mins up 3mins down theres 3hrs for ya!
piwakawaka
Member for: 8 years 9 months

Postby znomit on Thu 16/Feb/12 10:20pm

Hills for me tonight too, well, one hill 3x. Really missing the Pahiatua Track and Saddle road climbs :(
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/149937616
znomit

Postby znomit on Tue 21/Feb/12 6:18am

Lazy ride up to Stratford yesterday and through to Taumaranui overnight.
Now having some scottish breakfast and contemplating the wee climb up to national park.
znomit

Postby Klarkash-ton on Tue 21/Feb/12 8:09am

great work Znomit! that's a stack of miles you're packing in there.
Klarkash-ton
"I ride to support my eating habit"
Member for: 12 years 3 months

Postby znomit on Wed 22/Feb/12 2:51pm

Forgotten Highway Night Ride

Had been thinking of doing a 3-4 day short tour this week but the weather man told me wednesday on was likely to be crap riding weather, so I decided to squeeze as much riding as I could into two days.

Headed off shortly after 10 on monday morning at quite a leisurely pace. My guide was if I was sweating I was going to hard, this went out the window when the temperature got over 25 halfway to Whanganui. Legs were feeling a little sore after a few hours but things settled down by Whanganui. McDonalds for lunch and then headed off again. Steady ride through to Waverly for an iced coffee and bacon rosti and then a short hop to Hawera for KFC. Three meals in 160km! Lazy pace obviously good for my appetite.

Naki1.jpg

Turned north and said goodbye to sidewinds and enjoyed the wind at my back for the climb up to Stratford, arriving as planned just on sunset. A quick pie here, filled my bottles and donned arm and leg warmers. It was a clear night so I was expecting the cold.
Set off for Taumarunui with a nice gradual downhill for 10km. The wind eased off and the stars came out. Legs turning nicely now. Found a school about 30km in and tanked up me and the bike, saved me finding the campground at Whongamomona.

The numerous saddles came and went, the temperature was around 12-14 the whole night which was nice on the flat sections but too hot going up and much too cold coming down the hills. Having been the other way three times the climbs seemed less steep from this side, except for a couple of nasty ones near Taumauranui. Between the two hills before Whongamomona there was a possum or bunny on the road every few minutes, mostly they ran away but a few loitered, testing my nerves and brakes.

Found this on my saddle after a comfort stop :crazy:
Sticky1.jpg

Nice ride through the tunnel, the 12km of gravel was in pretty good nick, and most importantly DRY! Fogged appeared around about here and got thicker and thicker towards Taumarunui.
Yawning kicked in around 2am and was fought off reasonably successfully with no-doz, chocolate and an iced coffee I had squirreled away. Things seemed worst around 4am. I passed a toddler standing on the road at one point and turned around to see the bunny or possum scurrying into the bush. The white lines on the road began to ooze darkess and at one stage a panther ran across the road in the distance. Only mechanical issue occurred around here too, in the fog I ran into a largish pothole and the force was enough to rotate my handlebars down a little, sending my bar bag into my light and the light beam into the sky. Some minor hauling got things ridable again and I waited until Taumarunui before giving it some proper attention.

Arrived in Taumarunui around 5:30 and adjusted my handlebars before breakfast at McDonalds. Not sure how this all took 50 minutes and I was surprised at how bright it was when I left. There was no pool of drool on the table so I don't think I slept. No firm plans from here, I figured I'd start for home and catch the train when required. The fog was lifting and the sky looked like it was clearing. Body felt really good for 350km but mind was a little groggy still. The rain came down quite heavily soon after and it was a steady slog up the 650m hill to National Park, taking three hours to cover 40km.

Decided that was enough for one day and headed for the usually excellent railway station cafe, but arrived 30min before they opened. They made me wait 10 minutes extra outside while they served the railway guys and then asked me a few times if I wanted the coffee to go. Annoyed me enough that I got back on the bike in the rain and headed south. The sun came out half way through and with a tailwind and downhill I was soon at the much friendlier station cafe in Ohakune. 427km in around 26hrs.
In retrospect I should have found a bed for a few hours at National Park. I felt pretty good apart from the lack of sleep and could have ridden the 200k downhill home with a tailwind. Next time...

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/151364436

Stressed a bit about getting the bike on the train as there were two cycle tourists waiting and the train only takes four bikes. The train was 90 minutes late too which didn't help. Luckily they managed to squeeze my bike on and I got the last seat. Not so lucky though because the points were not working so the driver had to get out and work them all manually. Took three and a half hours to get to Taihape where they loaded us onto busses, home 4 hours late.
znomit

Postby Flynnster on Wed 22/Feb/12 8:39pm

Great effort :thumbsup: :crazy: :thumbsup:

Was there much traffic at night?
Flynnster
"descending like my grandmother on a 70’s chopper"
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby znomit on Wed 22/Feb/12 8:59pm

Flynnster wrote:Great effort :thumbsup: :crazy: :thumbsup:

Was there much traffic at night?

Surprisingly busy at either end. I had those horrible "I hope the pub didn't just close" thoughts just out of Stratford.
Nothing from midnight (Whongamomona) until about 4.
znomit

Cycling | Road Cycling - Latest Posts