Re: Roadies - Where Did You Ride Today?

Postby thekiwi on Wed 26/Oct/11 8:52am

Kiwicyclo wrote:GCC Tuesday Night Handicap race, 38 km smashfest! Good TTT practice for Sunday!

Ride out, race ride home, all up 2.25 hours

Last intensity session befor TOS.

Was indeed a good hit out last night, and having some numbers in Scratch was an absolute luxury. We must have been averaging close to 44 km/hr until we caught Break at about 20km. With the way we were working, and the ease of rotating ... think we could have added a few clicks on top of that and really blown the race apart ...
thekiwi
"A bad day of riding beats a good day at the office"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby Kiwicyclo on Wed 26/Oct/11 4:18pm

thekiwi wrote:
Kiwicyclo wrote:GCC Tuesday Night Handicap race, 38 km smashfest! Good TTT practice for Sunday!

Ride out, race ride home, all up 2.25 hours

Last intensity session befor TOS.

Was indeed a good hit out last night, and having some numbers in Scratch was an absolute luxury. We must have been averaging close to 44 km/hr until we caught Break at about 20km. With the way we were working, and the ease of rotating ... think we could have added a few clicks on top of that and really blown the race apart ...

Average watts were down 50 from the previous 3 races where we only had 2 - 4 riders in scratch.

Averaged 43.4 until we caught break, stuffed around for the last 20 km and finished with average 41.9 . . . .

Good to see the leadout train up and running :) Sheldrake > Hoskin > Strongman > Sheldrake > Murphy sitting on the back . . . . pulled clear of the big bunch on the home stretch . . . . thekiwi for the win!
Kiwicyclo
"Arguing on the internet is like the special olympics, even if you win you are still retarded."
Member for: 10 years 0 months

Postby Kiwicyclo on Wed 26/Oct/11 4:18pm

Klarkash-ton wrote:I thought you were doing an awful lot of training for K2...

good luck down south!

Never done K2 . . . . too many hills!
Kiwicyclo
"Arguing on the internet is like the special olympics, even if you win you are still retarded."

Postby Joel on Wed 26/Oct/11 4:28pm

Kiwicyclo wrote:Average watts were down 50 from the previous 3 races where we only had 2 - 4 riders in scratch.

thats to be expected though, you work harder with less riders. not necessaraly going faster though, more riders the speed should go up but less effort per rider.
Joel
"Style over speed"
Member for: 18 years 6 months

Postby znomit on Wed 26/Oct/11 5:32pm

Kiwicyclo wrote:Never done K2 . . . . too many hills!

Theres only four or five and a few small rollers. :paranoid:

Woot for a day in leiu for doing bugger all on monday.
I got out for a Classic New Zealand Road Ride up the Pohangina valley today. First time I've cycled up the West side of the valley and a bit nicer than the normal route (though it does have 5km of gravel). Headed as far north as the seal would take me and had a nosey up all the side roads on the way back. Really need a cross bike to do some decent exploring up there.
Quite windy which made it hard work heading out but a nice ride back into town.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/124355661

Poh.jpg
znomit
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby Kiwicyclo on Thu 27/Oct/11 8:37am

"mild" city hills loop last night, couple of hours and the longest short cut through the Gisborne Projects! Something about cycling lycra and gang colours not mixing in the hood!

Was nice letting "2 rides a day" thekiwi, strongman and junior smash it up the hills as I "cruised" up for a bit of active recovery!

Nek Minit!
Kiwicyclo

Postby thekiwi on Thu 27/Oct/11 10:24am

Kiwicyclo wrote:"mild" city hills loop last night, couple of hours and the longest short cut through the Gisborne Projects! Something about cycling lycra and gang colours not mixing in the hood!

Was nice letting "2 rides a day" thekiwi, strongman and junior smash it up the hills as I "cruised" up for a bit of active recovery!

Nek Minit!

Nothing 'active recovery' about those hills! :) Using a 27 and still having to stand up just to keep the bike going fwd ... thats hard work in my book :)

Going to be a wet and cold one this afternoon ... perfect for you Southland nutters!
thekiwi

Postby Joel on Thu 27/Oct/11 10:55am

what happened to you heading down as well?
Joel
"Style over speed"
Member for: 18 years 6 months

Postby thekiwi on Thu 27/Oct/11 11:14am

Joel wrote:what happened to you heading down as well?

Much mis communication unfortunately :(

Had initially been an idea of a total Vets team and would have been fantastic fun .... but in the end it all dissolved .... and in a Tour like Southland I'd much rather be in with a bunch of guys whose company I enjoy ... as nowadays, for me, its not just about smashing myself silly ... but having a good trip away with a good bunch, having some laughs .... and smashing myself silly :)

May try again for Tour of Wellington ...
thekiwi

Postby Kiwicyclo on Thu 27/Oct/11 11:39am

thekiwi wrote:
Kiwicyclo wrote:"mild" city hills loop last night, couple of hours and the longest short cut through the Gisborne Projects! Something about cycling lycra and gang colours not mixing in the hood!

Nek Minit!

Nothing 'active recovery' about those hills! :) Using a 27 and still having to stand up just to keep the bike going fwd ... thats hard work in my book :)

Going to be a wet and cold one this afternoon ... perfect for you Southland nutters!

Lucky I kept it in the 25 then . . . . TSS was way low compared to a hard session, so it was active recovery! My power meter tells me so! It must be true~!

hahahah
Kiwicyclo

Postby Kiwicyclo on Thu 27/Oct/11 7:02pm

Joel wrote:
Kiwicyclo wrote:Average watts were down 50 from the previous 3 races where we only had 2 - 4 riders in scratch.

thats to be expected though, you work harder with less riders. not necessaraly going faster though, more riders the speed should go up but less effort per rider.

I did not know that :p
Kiwicyclo

Postby nzmatto on Sat 29/Oct/11 6:06pm

just a couple of laps around 'the block' (aka's loop) today. 4.00am start 189km with over 2000m vertical climbing. I guess you could say I did this in lieu of the K2. I underestimated how tough this was to be mentally but about as good prep as I think I can put in prior to the Tour de Manawatu double next weekend.
nzmatto
"Cycling changed my life."
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Sun 30/Oct/11 4:53pm

I did the group (well, smaller group as many K2ers were missing) this morning.
I was the only one on a SingleSpeed.

Lots of people out preparing for Taupo.

I had to ride through the ½ flooded causeway on the NorthWestern :hmmm:
101kms
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby znomit on Tue 1/Nov/11 6:19pm

Very little wind today (unheard of in the Manawatu) so I took the afternoon off to get a few km into the legs.
A few hills up past Ashurst and then headed south for the flat run through Opiki.
Managed to get a bad dose of stingy-too-much-salt-in-the-eyes on the hills before Ashurst even though it was only 20 degrees. Hate that.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/125684295
znomit
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby Kiwicyclo on Tue 1/Nov/11 8:26pm

Saturday - Bluff Hill Recce - 60 km
Sunday - Queens Park Hot Lap - 4.2 km
Monday - Invercargil to Lumsden - 165 km
Tuesday - Invercargill to Bluff via Winton and some other places covered in grey cold drizzle - 145 km
Kiwicyclo

Cycling | Road Cycling - Latest Posts