That's some hugeass long riding man.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 18 years 0 months

Re: Roadies - Where Did You Ride Today?

Postby Joel on Mon 4/Oct/10 11:54am

way_downsouth wrote:
sifter wrote:
way_downsouth wrote:I feel stupid putting this stuff up, but will anyway. Is slightly motivational and makes me feel like I should keep the training going. 2 big weekends left.

Saturday http://connect.garmin.com/activity/51303417

Sunday http://connect.garmin.com/activity/51443905

good stuff Pete. It's K2 at the end of this eh?! You've been doing some huge sessions! Make sure you give your body time to recover... :love:

K2 is the end of October, so two hard weekends left. It is starting to come together, and will keep balancing sleep and riding for the next few weeks!

how did the vets race go?
Joel
"Style over speed"
Member for: 17 years 10 months

Postby way_downsouth on Mon 4/Oct/10 12:02pm

Joel wrote:
way_downsouth wrote:
sifter wrote:
way_downsouth wrote:I feel stupid putting this stuff up, but will anyway. Is slightly motivational and makes me feel like I should keep the training going. 2 big weekends left.

good stuff Pete. It's K2 at the end of this eh?! You've been doing some huge sessions! Make sure you give your body time to recover... :love:

K2 is the end of October, so two hard weekends left. It is starting to come together, and will keep balancing sleep and riding for the next few weeks!

how did the vets race go?

Not real well, I ended up starting in Wave 2 (put the wrong time in on entry), which was pretty slow. Unfortunately, my legs were a little weak to really cause too much trouble. I jumped off the front a few times, but no one was really keen to come and play. Gave a massive lead out at the end so must have been 6th or 7th across the line in wave 2.
way_downsouth
"Average at best"
Member for: 16 years 9 months

Postby Conners on Mon 4/Oct/10 1:25pm

Sweet Jeebus Pete!
Glad I "forgot" to enter K2 now, looking at that mileage... :blush:
Conners
User avatarMedal
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 16 years 7 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Mon 4/Oct/10 2:51pm

My first ride post Winter with a short sleeved top on…I could see motorists shielding their eyes from my pearly white flesh :blush:

Excellent mileage Pete. No doubt you’ll go well on the K2 :)
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby Lynskey on Mon 4/Oct/10 7:57pm

Not quite an epic ride like Pete's effort but I got out in the sunshine today and enjoyed myself a lovely Blue Mountains loop :love:

Rides like today really are why I'm into this sport :cool:
Lynskey
"Ah yes the tossers certainly come out late at night.."
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Postby nzmatto on Mon 4/Oct/10 9:00pm

Lynskey wrote:Rides like today really are why I'm into this sport :cool:

I hear ya with that!!! :thumbsup:
Took a short hours recovery ride in the sunshine this afternoon to remind myself that this can be enjoyable. Legs felt much better afterwards and eyes were dutifully rewarded during the ride :love: :D :love:
Oct 10 005.JPG

Oct 10 008.JPG

Oct 10 011.JPG

Oct 10 012.JPG

Oct 10 016.JPG
nzmatto
"Cycling changed my life."
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby Flynnster on Mon 4/Oct/10 9:19pm

awesome mate :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I'm inspired (and feeling weak after only a 130km effort) You'll kick some serious arse at K2
Flynnster
"descending like my grandmother on a 70’s chopper"
Member for: 11 years 5 months

Postby Simonk on Mon 4/Oct/10 10:55pm

That's impressive mileage Pete (especially the vertical) but reading between the lines I wonder if you aren't heading towards feeling burnt out before summer even starts?

If K2 is your goal, it looks like you have oodles of endurance. Despite what they say on the entry form, my speedo only on registered 176km when I did it. Plenty of that is easy bunch riding, but the pace on the hills can be intense. You certainly need to be fresh, and have done some really high-powered hill intervals (plus some speedwork on the flat if you are weedy, like me) but I'd have thought that all you need to do in the way of endurance between now and the race is one long ride/week to maintain the excellent endurance you already have.

Hill reps, recovery, some short flat intervals, and more recovery. Apart from that, take it easy on yourself! You'll race better and enjoy yourself more.
Simonk
Member for: 16 years 7 months

Postby Joel on Tue 5/Oct/10 7:44am

:withstupid:

good advice simon.

given only couple of weeks out, not much chance to work on your threshold power.. best bet is to drop in some short duration anaerobic interval work, which will pull up power levels for a short form kick. can get good gains in 3 weeks, whereas threshold power takes months of continued focus to build up.
Joel
"Style over speed"
Member for: 17 years 10 months

Postby way_downsouth on Tue 5/Oct/10 7:58am

Simonk wrote:

That's impressive mileage Pete (especially the vertical) but reading between the lines I wonder if you aren't heading towards feeling burnt out before summer even starts?

If K2 is your goal, it looks like you have oodles of endurance. Despite what they say on the entry form, my speedo only on registered 176km when I did it. Plenty of that is easy bunch riding, but the pace on the hills can be intense. You certainly need to be fresh, and have done some really high-powered hill intervals (plus some speedwork on the flat if you are weedy, like me) but I'd have thought that all you need to do in the way of endurance between now and the race is one long ride/week to maintain the excellent endurance you already have.

Hill reps, recovery, some short flat intervals, and more recovery. Apart from that, take it easy on yourself! You'll race better and enjoy yourself more.

It is good to get a few tips for the event and the weeks leading up as I am at a bit of a loss on what I should vs shouldn't been doing. To date I have been a training buddy for a mate, who is coached. He is away at the moment, so I am not really sure what I am doing.

The focus is fully K2 at the moment and carrying some form to Taupo (hopefully I can get an okay time and never do it again). After that, I have 5 weeks overseas, so will see what is happening after that. Probably not a lot more than Kapiti Cycle Challenge and the Grape Ride
way_downsouth
"Average at best"

Postby sifter on Tue 5/Oct/10 8:08am

way_downsouth wrote:
Simonk wrote:

It is good to get a few tips for the event and the weeks leading up as I am at a bit of a loss on what I should vs shouldn't been doing. To date I have been a training buddy for a mate, who is coached. He is away at the moment, so I am not really sure what I am doing.

The focus is fully K2 at the moment and carrying some form to Taupo (hopefully I can get an okay time and never do it again). After that, I have 5 weeks overseas, so will see what is happening after that. Probably not a lot more than Kapiti Cycle Challenge and the Grape Ride

If it were me, I'd have a really easy week this week - perhaps just commuting duties with an occasional ride in the sun. Then, by next week my legs will be gagging for some decent action. 2 or 3 session where I smash the living shit out of them. Short, really sharp stuff which feels like absolute crap while you're doing it, but quick recovery. Then a couple of lunch time bays rides. Throw in attacks on the Pass of Branda, airport straight and up Happy Valley (good for the mind as much as anything). As I said, that would get me ready I reckon. I've been amazed over the last few years how endurance lingers around when you expect it to vanish. On the other hand, so does fatigue! Rest up, and have some fun!

Or, keep doing those huge miles, and come do Le Petit Brevet! ;)
sifter
Member for: 16 years 3 months

Postby SaturnReturn on Tue 5/Oct/10 8:39am

:withstupid:

That's my strategy now for K2, with one last BIG 180k (but not 220k big!) ride this weekend to the mandel. But between now and 1 week before k2 i'll be throwing some of those hill intervals/repeats in - rather than continuing to do huge rides. Strength and speed on the hills is my weakness at 85kgs :crazy:

You guys are in a different league though haha! :p
SaturnReturn
Member for: 15 years 4 months

Postby way_downsouth on Tue 5/Oct/10 12:28pm

SaturnReturn wrote::withstupid:

That's my strategy now for K2, with one last BIG 180k (but not 220k big!) ride this weekend to the mandel. But between now and 1 week before k2 i'll be throwing some of those hill intervals/repeats in - rather than continuing to do huge rides. Strength and speed on the hills is my weakness at 85kgs :crazy:

When you say different league, you mean >90Kg's right?
way_downsouth
"Average at best"

Postby SaturnReturn on Tue 5/Oct/10 1:01pm

way_downsouth wrote:
SaturnReturn wrote::withstupid:

When you say different league, you mean >90Kg's right?

Well more distance and speed as opposed to wannabes like myself :p
SaturnReturn
Member for: 15 years 4 months

Cycling | Road Cycling - Latest Posts