Re: Roadies - Where Did You Ride Today?

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Mon 4/Jan/10 7:20pm

znomit wrote:Scared the wind will blow the froth off your cappuccino?

You know Aucklanders too well :blush:
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby cooper770 on Mon 4/Jan/10 7:24pm

FLATULENTFRIEND wrote::eh: You guys have been out riding?
Did the sub Tropical storm not make it down your way?

yes....yes it did! Which is why some of us elected a movie and windtrainer this afternoon....I did venture out this morning but could barely stand up, plus Ive spent the last 3 days mowing paddocks and raking up the winnrows and tomorrow Ill be rolling around with the bailer....and then I have the fun job of bringing in 15 acres worth of regular bales....that's around 1500 give or take a couple of hundred....which have to be loaded onto the trailer, driven to the shed and stacked....so who's got a free afternoon and feels like a real work out?????
cooper770
"Enjoy the sandpit Kids, some of us have left Kindy."
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby nzmatto on Mon 4/Jan/10 8:15pm

hang on, I'll just take a quick look for that tropical storm. ....<runs off to look out the window>
nzmatto
"Cycling changed my life."
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby nzmatto on Mon 4/Jan/10 8:36pm

Nope, couldn't find it. Here's the view out the back window....
DSCF2722.JPG
nzmatto

Postby Joel on Mon 4/Jan/10 9:44pm

that northerly did make it hard work climbing backup moonshine from hutt side. other than that, ridden in worse.
Joel
"Style over speed"
Member for: 18 years 8 months

Postby sifter on Mon 4/Jan/10 9:47pm

fatwombat wrote:Took the Stickbug on a route reconnaissance to find the safest way for him to ride from Karori to Wellington College when school starts.

What did you conclude? I think I'd lean towards Aro Valley and the bypass cycle path.
sifter
Member for: 17 years 0 months

Postby cooper770 on Mon 4/Jan/10 9:48pm

nzmatto wrote:Nope, couldn't find it. Here's the view out the back window....
DSCF2722.JPG

hey matto, you working wednesday AM????

Thinking about coming down in the car and Joining Bobs Wednesday morning ride...8am from Coastlands ...

just looking at the Kapiti Club Website and there's a picture taken in front of the club rooms in 1977....that me in the back row with my arm in front of my face :lol:
cooper770
"Enjoy the sandpit Kids, some of us have left Kindy."

Postby Monolith on Mon 4/Jan/10 9:52pm

I knocked off work at 4:00 today, and it is Monday after all - Akas day. I eventually left the city at 4:20, and in spite of the fairly stiff northerly made OK time to the Haywards turnoff. Turned off. Up, etc.... at one point on the descent I was tucked and pedalling to maintain 45kmh. Stink. Heading up Paekak was a little better with the shelter from the hills, although I certainly knew it was still northerly going through there. Down, then along the flats to Pram. Stopped for a water top up, cos the wind was making my throat/mouth all dry like. Felt like I had been chugging down sand or some other beachy goods. Hit up the shittest bit of road I can think of between Otaihanga and Waikanae, before turning to finally have a bit of wind on my shoulder.
Decided to hit the Akas climb in the little ring/seated for a change - got to the top faster than I have previously. Cool. Took the descent cautiously, cos there were wet bits of the road and little slips all over the show up there. Hit the rollers through to Upper Hutt quickly, making some pretty good time. Finally had a bit of a proper tail wind from there, and I sat at about 45kmh for most of the way back to the Haywards. At this point I had a bit of a weather fail. The NWer had dropped right off, and it got a bit cold... before BAM! I smashed into the southerly. Speed went from mid 40s to mid 20s in the space of 50m, before hovering around 30 for the rest of the ride back into town.

156km all up, in 4:48. Good way to finish the day though, in spite of a kind of headwind spit-roasting.
Monolith
"Look! I still walk away"
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby SlackBoy on Mon 4/Jan/10 9:54pm

But but but but you luv the spit roasting
SlackBoy
Member for: 18 years 11 months

Postby sifter on Mon 4/Jan/10 9:55pm

Monolith wrote:Hit up the shittest bit of road I can think of between Otaihanga and Waikanae

You and me both!

I'm probably going to try that lot tomorrow... Hopefully minus the perpetual headwind...
sifter
Member for: 17 years 0 months

Postby Monolith on Mon 4/Jan/10 9:58pm

sifter wrote:
Monolith wrote:Hit up the shittest bit of road I can think of between Otaihanga and Waikanae

You and me both!

I'm probably going to try that lot tomorrow... Hopefully minus the perpetual headwind...

Meant to be northerly all day - at least you can smash yourself getting to Waikanae, then climbing the Akas knowing you'll have a helping hand for the last 40km :thumbsup:
Monolith
"Look! I still walk away"
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby znomit on Mon 4/Jan/10 10:22pm

Thought I better get out tonight after making fun of Farty. Yes, quite windy in the manawatu, didn't seem to get any better away from the hills either. Looped around rongotea rd to get a couple of 50kph runs with the tailwind, nice.
znomit
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Postby fatwombat on Mon 4/Jan/10 10:29pm

sifter wrote:
fatwombat wrote:Took the Stickbug on a route reconnaissance to find the safest way for him to ride from Karori to Wellington College when school starts.

What did you conclude? I think I'd lean towards Aro Valley and the bypass cycle path.

Yup, pretty much: down Chaytor St, up Raroa Cres, down Aro St, across pedestrian crossing, Webb St, left at Taranaki, right at ped.x-ing on Artur/Buckle, around the eastern and northern edges of the Basin on the footpath. Going slow, pausing at every little vehicle alleyway to check for traffic, only took 14 minutes - way faster than a bus!! Kaitlin could ride with him if you enrol her in St Marks. :)
fatwombat
"Our planet is the mental institution of the universe. - Goethe"

Postby Oli on Mon 4/Jan/10 10:34pm

:D
Oli
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby nzmatto on Tue 5/Jan/10 10:37am

cooper770 wrote:
nzmatto wrote:Nope, couldn't find it. Here's the view out the back window....
DSCF2722.JPG

hey matto, you working wednesday AM????

Thinking about coming down in the car and Joining Bobs Wednesday morning ride...8am from Coastlands ...

just looking at the Kapiti Club Website and there's a picture taken in front of the club rooms in 1977....that me in the back row with my arm in front of my face :lol:

Nope, not working, but I dont think I have 200km in my legs yet. At least not at their pace. I have been thinking about taking the step up to their group, but I think I will try a few shorter rides before attempting one this long. I wouldn't want to be the one dragging the chain on them, it would make for a disjointed ride for them.
nzmatto

Cycling | Road Cycling - Latest Posts