Re: Roadies - Where Did You Ride Today?

Postby Monolith on Sun 22/Nov/09 9:00pm

Boom Rock Road leads to Boom Rock Station - named so cos when the swell is just so it creates a loud "Boom" when it hits a certain part of the rock down below. It's a freakin amazing place IMO - attended a wedding there earlier this year. Awesome.
Monolith
"Look! I still walk away"
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby happybaboon on Sun 22/Nov/09 9:08pm

Yeah I've been up to the farm on there a few times. Haven't heard the rocks booming especially greatly though.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 18 years 9 months

Postby Colin on Sun 22/Nov/09 9:13pm

Been there a couple of times playing games and eating scrummy foodz

http://www.boomrock.co.nz/activities/
Colin
Member for: 17 years 5 months

Postby happybaboon on Sun 22/Nov/09 9:15pm

I was on the hills across from the track and saw someone spin one of the fancypants mercs out bigtime. Dunno who's idea it was to build a racetrack on top of a hill, but good on them :thumbsup:
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 18 years 9 months

Postby ThingOne on Sun 22/Nov/09 9:33pm

I drove a van around the race track. :D

It was built by Wellington Star Mercedes/ Mercedes NZ and Boomrock as a Joint Venture.
I went to one of the functions when they first opened it.
ThingOne
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Postby nzmatto on Sun 22/Nov/09 9:41pm

After a busy day I took an hour out for a brief ride into the sunset tonight. Went up my fav local hill, then down to the beach again and as usual had my camera.
003.JPG

007.JPG

Have spent a bit of time thinking about what I am going to do post Taupo. Haven't got any answers yet, but suspect I may go as far as getting my MTB dirty.
nzmatto
"Cycling changed my life."
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby ArjanH on Sun 22/Nov/09 9:53pm

nzmatto wrote: but suspect I may go as far as getting my MTB dirty.

Could do a lot worse :) :) :)
ArjanH

Postby cauld on Sun 22/Nov/09 9:55pm

ArjanH wrote:
cauld wrote:Yup... my bad.Public now

What do you think of the 310XT?
I am looking into upgrading my Forerunner 50
Am trying to decide between the Forerunner 405 or 310 and the Edge 305 or Edge 500 (not out till just before xmas I think).

So I have owned the Edge 405 and got rid of it.. The 310XT is defn. the best of the watch form factors.
With the Edge 500 you lose the 'watch' ability and realy al you gain from my PoV is the barometric altimeter.

I wouldn't get a 305 personally as I want power meter compatability.
cauld
"God Botherer Botherer"
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby ArjanH on Sun 22/Nov/09 10:12pm

cauld wrote:
ArjanH wrote:
cauld wrote:Yup... my bad.Public now

What do you think of the 310XT?
I am looking into upgrading my Forerunner 50
Am trying to decide between the Forerunner 405 or 310 and the Edge 305 or Edge 500 (not out till just before xmas I think).

So I have owned the Edge 405 and got rid of it.. The 310XT is defn. the best of the watch form factors.
With the Edge 500 you lose the 'watch' ability and realy al you gain from my PoV is the barometric altimeter.

I wouldn't get a 305 personally as I want power meter compatability.

Not too fussed on the power meter personally .. the 305 is the cheap option as far as I can see and yeah the 405 is a little limiting.
I am not likely to take up triathlons so the 310's other features would be surplus to requirement ... having said that I do like the watch thing. I am gonna wait to see what the pricing will be like on the 500 before I make up my mind I think
ArjanH

Postby ThingOne on Mon 23/Nov/09 7:34am

nzmatto wrote:After a busy day I took an hour out for a brief ride into the sunset tonight. Went up my fav local hill, then down to the beach again and as usual had my camera.
003.JPG

007.JPG

Have spent a bit of time thinking about what I am going to do post Taupo. Haven't got any answers yet, but suspect I may go as far as getting my MTB dirty.

Rice Mountain Classic, is a nice way to use up your residual fitness from Taupo.
ThingOne
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Postby nzmatto on Mon 23/Nov/09 7:54am

ThingOne wrote:
nzmatto wrote:After a busy day I took an hour out for a brief ride into the sunset tonight. Went up my fav local hill, then down to the beach again and as usual had my camera.
003.JPG

007.JPG

Rice Mountain Classic, is a nice way to use up your residual fitness from Taupo.

Aaahhhhh....let me think about that for a microsecond. No. That's out of my league still. Maybe next year though.
nzmatto

Postby cauld on Mon 23/Nov/09 8:41am

ArjanH wrote: having said that I do like the watch thing. I am gonna wait to see what the pricing will be like on the 500 before I make up my mind I think

RRPs from Garmin site in USD.

305: $349 incl Cadence ($399 incl Cadence and HR)
500: $249 ($399 incl Speed/Cadence/HR strap)
310XT: $349 ($399 incl HR strap)

So all much of a muchness really. I' gonna buy a 500 next march I think as I already have the HR trap and Speed sensors. Ping me a PM if you can wait as I get my goodies from the US with little bit of a discount off RRP (50% off on accesories :thumbsup: )
cauld
"God Botherer Botherer"
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby Joel on Mon 23/Nov/09 9:49am

nzmatto wrote:
ThingOne wrote:
003.JPG

007.JPG

Aaahhhhh....let me think about that for a microsecond. No. That's out of my league still. Maybe next year though.

don't see why. go in C grade.
Joel
"Style over speed"
Member for: 18 years 8 months

Postby nzmatto on Mon 23/Nov/09 10:01am

Joel wrote:
nzmatto wrote:
ThingOne wrote:
003.JPG

007.JPG

don't see why. go in C grade.

In the KCC winter series I struggled in D and dropped to E (got a second then :) ) I can't see me footing it in the hills with C graders yet. I am getting better but I don't particularly like the idea of being the Lantern Rouge.
nzmatto

Postby Joel on Mon 23/Nov/09 10:02am

hmmm that was back in june/.july

you worry too much.
Joel
"Style over speed"
Member for: 18 years 8 months

Cycling | Road Cycling - Latest Posts