Re: Roadies - Where Did You Ride Today?

Postby Joel on Fri 3/Apr/09 1:15pm

way_downsouth wrote:Yesterday/last night. Down to work, back to Karori, over to Makara, out to the beach, up to Johnsonville and back to Karori via Makara. I was with riders that are (a lot) stronger than me, and it turned into a smash fest. Awesome.

you do the capital group?
Joel
"Style over speed"
Member for: 18 years 6 months

Postby way_downsouth on Fri 3/Apr/09 1:28pm

Joel wrote:
way_downsouth wrote:Yesterday/last night. Down to work, back to Karori, over to Makara, out to the beach, up to Johnsonville and back to Karori via Makara. I was with riders that are (a lot) stronger than me, and it turned into a smash fest. Awesome.

Na, I think we saw them as we came back down from J'Ville, I was out with Gianluca and Matty Webber (I am guessing you will know them).
way_downsouth
"Average at best"
Member for: 17 years 5 months

Postby istepinyards on Fri 3/Apr/09 1:50pm

After a few days of rain I decided to ride the fixie to the pub via the coffee shop.

3 ristrettos and a muffin then off to the pub to give Dad a hand :thumbsup:
istepinyards
"I'm not arrogant, I am just better than you. That is a scientific fact."
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Postby Joel on Fri 3/Apr/09 4:12pm

way_downsouth wrote:
Joel wrote:

Na, I think we saw them as we came back down from J'Ville, I was out with Gianluca and Matty Webber (I am guessing you will know them).

yeah know them via racing. from memory Gianluca is not a bad climber.
Joel
"Style over speed"
Member for: 18 years 6 months

Postby Al_Bushman on Fri 3/Apr/09 8:31pm

Ahad wrote:
Al_Bushman wrote: Yeah Happy B'day Al! Lucky bugger! Le Race was my Birthday present... Thought I saw you fly past at about 25kph past the cop station along with some other guys while I was working in Lyttelton around 9:30/10 ish followed by this dropped Benchmark guy looking rather dejected... :D And then a few others.

Probably Nick Hextall. I was feeling pretty crap going up there though - in fact the legs felt like they were full of concrete. Brett Dawber/ Sam Horgan as usual ripped our legs off.

Got a new Job for my birthday (well 2 days afterwards) :) Still with Kiwibank but mobile and based from home with a car. Work my own hours too :cool:
Al_Bushman
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby Ahad on Fri 3/Apr/09 9:01pm

Al_Bushman wrote:
Ahad wrote:
Al_Bushman wrote: Yeah Happy B'day Al! Lucky bugger! Le Race was my Birthday present... Thought I saw you fly past at about 25kph past the cop station along with some other guys while I was working in Lyttelton around 9:30/10 ish followed by this dropped Benchmark guy looking rather dejected... :D And then a few others.

Probably Nick Hextall. I was feeling pretty crap going up there though - in fact the legs felt like they were full of concrete. Brett Dawber/ Sam Horgan as usual ripped our legs off.

Got a new Job for my birthday (well 2 days afterwards) :) Still with Kiwibank but mobile and based from home with a car. Work my own hours too :cool:

Sweet! So a lot more Tuesday Worlds for you then? :sneaky: :thumbsup:
Ahad
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby Fergie on Fri 3/Apr/09 9:08pm

Al_Bushman wrote:Got a new Job for my birthday (well 2 days afterwards) :) Still with Kiwibank but mobile and based from home with a car. Work my own hours too :cool:

Good snizzle Al, up for some flat intervals during the day to stay fit over winter?
Fergie
"Fat, opinionated and can't ride a bike to save himself. Sounds overqualified to be a coach."
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby nzmatto on Sat 4/Apr/09 3:00pm

Picture says the route. Only 90km in the end (although mapmyride reckons 93 - I disagree with it). Northerly wind was a bit of a bugger at times but great to be out with other vorbers. Thanks guys for the ride. I hope you are all as buggered as I am.
Wonderful :love: Julie :love: made me scrambled eggs on toast for lunch afterwards. 872m vertical with the 3 climbs being Ngauranga Gorge (PB), Makara(PB), and Korokoro (slow).
GPS unit went flat about half way round, so the last part had to be mapped by hand. I was wondering what it would come up with after we rode through the Mt Vic tunnel.
todays ride.jpg

Tylersdad, you were asking about my unit settings. There is a new version of the software which I have just downloaded and installed. I have set it to Manual and the following.
GPS tracker.jpg
nzmatto
"Cycling changed my life."
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby Flynnster on Sat 4/Apr/09 6:49pm

Jeez - you guys were keen biking thru the mt vic tunnel :crazy:

Sounds like you had a good ride but :)

I'm having a crack at the makara hill tomorrow.
Flynnster
"descending like my grandmother on a 70’s chopper"
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Sat 4/Apr/09 8:08pm

Counties Manukau second race of the season.
54kms at an undulating course at Waiau Pa way out to the right of South Auckland

:) I felt fine sitting in the bunch (even did a turn at the front) until the hardest hill on the last lap....
Everybody had more speed than me and I headed backwards :blush:
That was at the same time as I heard a strange squeeking from my bike - perhaps the two are connected as I was going fine up the hills on the first two laps.

Had another grade guy wheelsuck me for most of the way back until I made a dash for the line.
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby specializedman on Sat 4/Apr/09 9:28pm

I raced the WBOP team time trial championships with the Morrinsville open team.

I felt great but just after the start my heart rate went way up- higher than my maximum HR, I didn't notice until my legs gave up and the team rode away from me, then I looked at the heart rate and decided that was the reason.

I got my HR back to normal after a while and rode the rest of the way by myself- just in case one of the other riders got a puncture or something and my time would be counted!

I averaged 34km/h for the 40km by myself so I didn't really ride to my potential.

My coach is pretty concerned with my heart, I'm off to the doctors on Monday to get tests done, hopefully I should be fit to race in Te Awamutu next week. :(
specializedman
"I am a very biking boy."
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby Ahad on Sat 4/Apr/09 9:38pm

specializedman wrote:I raced the WBOP team time trial championships with the Morrinsville open team.

I felt great but just after the start my heart rate went way up- higher than my maximum HR, I didn't notice until my legs gave up and the team rode away from me, then I looked at the heart rate and decided that was the reason.

I got my HR back to normal after a while and rode the rest of the way by myself- just in case one of the other riders got a puncture or something and my time would be counted!

I averaged 34km/h for the 40km by myself so I didn't really ride to my potential.

My coach is pretty concerned with my heart, I'm off to the doctors on Monday to get tests done, hopefully I should be fit to race in Te Awamutu next week. :(

Shit! Thats no good S man! Good luck with the check ups :) Hopefully its just from training a bit hard or something? and nothing serious...
Ahad
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby tylersdad on Sat 4/Apr/09 10:04pm

i did the same as NZMATTO.
While he can confidently say Julie made him scrambled eggs on toast, i have to admit i have absolutely no idea of the chicks name who made me the chicken, cranberry and brie pizza slice at the cafe at Scorching Bay !!!! :D

i did a few less km's though (72km) as we met at the top of the Makara Gorge - Matts a black jeans wearing Hutt boy so he had a few extra miles to ride.

and we went on the pedestrian/cycle path, not the road thru the tunnel. i did 'beep' and 'honk' though.

excellent ride - except for the wind at times.
tylersdad
"Meh !!!!"
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Postby Flynnster on Sun 5/Apr/09 12:10pm

Took advantage of the extra hour and headed out at 7am for a 100km loop around Makara and around the bays and up Happy Valley road into the lovely northerly. I accidently took part in a womans dualathon from Te Papa to Evans Bay - took advantage of the closed round and hammered it round - only a couple of head turners ;)

Screamed down Brooklyn hill for the first time - yeahhhhh! before a slog back to the Hutt into the wind. Great ride but probably need a better saddle - the one that came with the bike feels a bit narrow.
Flynnster
"descending like my grandmother on a 70’s chopper"
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby nzmatto on Sun 5/Apr/09 1:27pm

Flynnster wrote:Took advantage of the extra hour and headed out at 7am for a 100km loop around Makara and around the bays and up Happy Valley road into the lovely northerly. I accidently took part in a womans dualathon from Te Papa to Evans Bay - took advantage of the closed round and hammered it round - only a couple of head turners ;)

Screamed down Brooklyn hill for the first time - yeahhhhh! before a slog back to the Hutt into the wind. Great ride but probably need a better saddle - the one that came with the bike feels a bit narrow.

ha ha, should have warned you about that duathlon. We saw them setting up for it yesterday.
nzmatto
"Cycling changed my life."
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Cycling | Road Cycling - Latest Posts