Re: Roadies - Where Did You Ride Today?

Postby Tugboat on Thu 26/Mar/09 8:14pm

Decided to put myself through a fairly brutal commute home tonight... from J'ville to Newtown via the joyful climbs of Ironsides Rd, Makara, Ohiro Road and Houghton Bay Road. 650m of vertical in a nice compact 40km. :crazy:
commute.jpg
Tugboat
"Bringing back the biff"
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby sifter on Thu 26/Mar/09 8:27pm

Oli wrote:Not much on for once, so I took the chance for a quick ride on my old Bianchi anti-clockwise around the Bays, up to Revolution for a delicious coffee, then followed by an awesome fang down Raroa Rd where I caught up to a cop car on the straight between the two hairpins - he flicked his roof lights on and gave me the naughty boy wagging finger... :blush:

Windy but lovely day for a cruise... :)

nice! Well done to the copper too :)
sifter
Member for: 17 years 2 months

Postby sifter on Thu 26/Mar/09 8:31pm

Tugboat wrote:Decided to put myself through a fairly brutal commute home tonight... from J'ville to Newtown via the joyful climbs of Ironsides Rd, Makara, Ohiro Road and Houghton Bay Road. 650m of vertical in a nice compact 40km. :crazy:

bravo that man. A colleague was telling me today about an alternative to Ironside Rd.

Has anyone taken Cortina Ave? Turn left at the roundabout by Onslow College, then third right. I haven't tried it myself, but he said its a relatively quiet climb, that spits you out via that new subdivision...
jville.jpg
sifter
Member for: 17 years 2 months

Postby Tugboat on Thu 26/Mar/09 8:43pm

Yep I do Cortina Ave occasionally... Ohiro Rd type steep for the most part. Bit of out of the saddle type fun.
Tugboat
"Bringing back the biff"
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby chchbob on Fri 27/Mar/09 11:13am

A pleasant morning in Chch, after being dropped off at Belfast, decided to ride to work via SOK .. WTF :crazy: I work in the central city .. lol.. So got to work a shade later than usual, but got in 30kms, and 330 metres of hill before work ...
Noticed a few on their way down as I was going up, but there were quite a few heading up the hill looking to do a recce of tomorrows course by the look as I was coming back down ...
chchbob
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Postby Flynnster on Fri 27/Mar/09 9:12pm

well I meet the Wgtn northerly full on tonight. Near the ngaio gorge road a big gust brought me to a standstill and ripped my flash hutt city fluro bag cover off at the same time :(
Flynnster
"descending like my grandmother on a 70’s chopper"
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Sat 28/Mar/09 6:22pm

:) First race of the Counties Manukau season for us today.
40kms course.
Light wind.
I hadn't preregistered so had to go up to B grade (they stopped at 77 in C grade - we go down to E grade in case some of you think I'm totally useless!).

Rode my new bike for the first time and darn if I don't think it faster...even with the slow Kysrium Elites on it from my old race bike.

Ave speed 39.3kph.
Last year I did the same course (windier) with the C grade and averaged 38kph. Clinging on the back of the faster guys paid off :thumbsup:
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 12 years 3 months

Postby Oli on Sat 28/Mar/09 6:28pm

Ksyrium Elites are okay wheels -arguably a better ride than SLs! :o
Oli
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby Weevil on Sat 28/Mar/09 7:23pm

Did some hill repeats up the steepish part of Nth Road hill, out to MacAndrew bay with a wicked tailwind all the way so averaged 40km+ all the way out there pretty much and 30kmhr on the way back then along the beach and back home. Beautiful day for it and lots of friendly cyclists out as well.
Weevil
"Spills for thrills baby!"
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby rochie on Sun 29/Mar/09 11:59am

Short Bays. Bike club ride. Mint day. Stu and I still coughing up oysters from the lurgy. Here's the GPS - don't know why its stopped in Linwood...
http://www.a-trip.com/tracks/view/16875
rochie
Member for: 13 years 3 months

Postby 1bikerider1 on Sun 29/Mar/09 12:51pm

went round long bays then stopped at coffee culture and then went round short bays.

Weather was MINT!!!
1bikerider1
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Sun 29/Mar/09 1:38pm

Up at 5AM (wife demanded I not get up at 4.15AM) and on road by 5.37AM.
:hmmm: Some non communicative jerk on an MTB with slicks caught me and passed me so I let him lead along the causeway - we were doing 38kph at 5.50am on what is not a smooth track...so he certainly could ride.

On the windy dark part of the next section of track they had left grass clippings on the path and I ended up going off the track, thumping back on, loosing balance and bashing in to the chainlink fence on the other side! :( Thankfully I didn't fall off.
I now have a sore right hand with some skin off.

:( Just before St Lukes shops I had a puncture - a good place because I had the lights of the carpark to do the deed.
It wasn't a puncture but the join on my tyre liner - the same thing as happened to my front tyre during the week. I had wondered when it would happen to the rear tyre.

I took a bit of a short cut along the top of St Heliers and came down to St Heliers to see all the cones out etc for a bike race. Was it a kids triathalon?

Dragged myself home - the slight uphills being hard from yesterday and on my SS with slow wheels etc.

63kms
FLATULENTFRIEND

Postby Oli on Sun 29/Mar/09 2:03pm

So you wheelsucked a guy who was clearly just wanting to do his own thing? Good one.
Oli
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Sun 29/Mar/09 6:19pm

Oli wrote:So you wheelsucked a guy who was clearly just wanting to do his own thing? Good one.

Come on Oli - you can read better than that. He 'wheelsucked' me first and I 'wheelsucked' him second - but for a bit longer.
FLATULENTFRIEND

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Sun 29/Mar/09 6:21pm

FLATULENTFRIEND wrote:
Oli wrote:So you wheelsucked a guy who was clearly just wanting to do his own thing? Good one.

Come on Oli - you can read better than that. He 'wheelsucked' me first and I 'wheelsucked' him second - but for a bit longer.

:blush: Yek, you probably read all I put. I should've said he did sit on my wheel for a while before we changed places.
FLATULENTFRIEND

Cycling | Road Cycling - Latest Posts