Re: Roadies - Where Did You Ride Today?

Postby Klarkash-ton on Mon 9/Feb/09 11:44am

yesterday did the akas loop complete for the first time, with a group from the KCC. I rested friday and sat and felt very fresh. Northerly winds helped us along and up paekak hill. we stopped a couple of times for stragglers. saw loads of cyclists all over, including two big groups going in the other direction up paekak hill, looked like Onslow Tarbabies? took my turn at the front of the group into the wind up sh2. stopped for coffee at the Relish cafe in Waikanane, pretty much the start line for the kapiti cycle challenge. since I'd started just norht of there I covered the distanace.

came down from waikanae again over the paekak hill/haywards for work this morning, so I guess not too much damage done to the legs. I think the commute is helping my hill climbing, since I try to get either paekak or the akas in.
Klarkash-ton
"I ride to support my eating habit"
Member for: 12 years 3 months

Postby Muzza on Mon 9/Feb/09 12:05pm

Yesterday evening headed round the bays and did a few laps of the PNP Miramar Loop, 60km all up. It was a slog into the Northerly, but my lap times were the same as on a lot less winder day with similar effort.
Muzza
Member for: 17 years 5 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Mon 9/Feb/09 9:34pm

Rode my (basically) shortest route - 35kms on my multispeed trainer.
I'm just getting back into it again so not expecting much from my girth stretched body :blush:

Really hot but light winds so a pretty good day for it and nice to get one in before the rains :)
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby RJM on Tue 10/Feb/09 5:53am

Klarkash-ton wrote:yesterday did the akas loop complete for the first time, with a group from the KCC. I rested friday and sat and felt very fresh. Northerly winds helped us along and up paekak hill. we stopped a couple of times for stragglers. saw loads of cyclists all over, including two big groups going in the other direction up paekak hill, looked like Onslow Tarbabies? took my turn at the front of the group into the wind up sh2. stopped for coffee at the Relish cafe in Waikanane, pretty much the start line for the kapiti cycle challenge. since I'd started just norht of there I covered the distanace.

came down from waikanae again over the paekak hill/haywards for work this morning, so I guess not too much damage done to the legs. I think the commute is helping my hill climbing, since I try to get either paekak or the akas in.

I thought my commute was bad - please tell me you work in the Hutt ? :)
RJM

Postby Klarkash-ton on Tue 10/Feb/09 9:01am

no, wellie :) but only go one way per day atm. it works out great, as I'd be spending over an hour on the train anyway.

got a nail in my tire this morning. fixed it but the CO2 pump didn't seem to inflate it very well and it was a bit squishy (I'm about 90kg) so didn't risk it further, caught the unit from paekak.
Klarkash-ton

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Tue 10/Feb/09 12:37pm

Same as yesterday but on my SS with mudguards clipped on and wearing my jacket.
About 5 kms into it I 'jacketed off" and never needed it again - the sun came out and I deeply regretted not wearing my sunnies or sunscreen :blush:

I even stopped twice going up steeper hills - never do that usually - my fitness is crap.

The humidity is a killer :cry: . Really notice the humidity last night - as they said 100% at night here in Auckland.

:) My new Skull Candy earbuds are great - much better than my previous set of whatever they weres
FLATULENTFRIEND

Postby RJM on Wed 11/Feb/09 12:47pm

Klarkash-ton wrote:no, wellie :) but only go one way per day atm. it works out great, as I'd be spending over an hour on the train anyway.

got a nail in my tire this morning. fixed it but the CO2 pump didn't seem to inflate it very well and it was a bit squishy (I'm about 90kg) so didn't risk it further, caught the unit from paekak.

"Bloody hell" - is that from Waikanae ? How long does that take, what time do you leave and do you generally go over Pak. Hill ?
RJM

Postby Klarkash-ton on Wed 11/Feb/09 1:45pm

there are three routes; 1. straight along SH1 (which I sometimes do going north, never south so far) 63k door to door- 2hrs. 2.across paekak hill and haywards, then SH2 (my preferred route going south), great with a northerly and sometimes get a tow from a very fast guy who unfortunately turns off into the hutt too soon, 70k, 2hr 15m, and 3.Waikanane to akatarawas then SH2 (done this heading south only once, but quite few times heading north, great feeling reaching the top), 73 k, 2hr 30m. Times are riding times and don't include waiting at lights!

Current plan is to ride with the Kapiti Club on sundays, then do four one way rides during the week, recover on friday/sat. This sat however I'm doing that long ride to palmy with the kapiti guys, so resting today/thursday/friday. As I said, I'd be on the train for a hour anyway, plus getting to the station and waiting, etc. Only get up 30 minutes earlier or so.

Hang on, I guess this sounds like this is a burden. But really I never dreamed I'd be able to get this much cycling into a week! It's fantastic! I wish I was strong enough to go both ways! I'm bloody blessed! Only been doing it a couple of months, no injuries yet and I'm hoping to keep it up for as long as possible. Winter maybe a bit miserable though, but I did a couple of wet weather commutes so far, I guess the cold will be the worry later. I can always catch the train...
Klarkash-ton

Postby nzmatto on Wed 11/Feb/09 5:33pm

That's some great riding, and good times too, given the hills involved. All the best for your 200+ this weekend. Drink lots!!!
nzmatto
"Cycling changed my life."
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby jimmymic on Thu 12/Feb/09 8:31am

It dawned a beautiful day on the other side of the world, we stacked up the temperature to a whopping 13 degrees in Verona. Temperature was a little different where I ended up going. I wanted to try the Monte Baldo loop, which is 130km or so in distance with a fair bit of climbing.

So it turns out the loop is not possible, the road stops being cleared after around the top of the hill ( I use that term loosely) and you are met with a 3m deep snow pile, so that is the turnaround point.

Today I thought I would be generous and take some photos for ya all, so here they are.

So this sign comes along after you have ridden for around 42ks and climbed close to 900m, so the next 12k's climb 765 m, with a max % of 18% (which slightly under the 20% I was reading on the Garmin), the sign in the distance is for the next 500m being >15% :-)

img091.jpg
The pain ahead

You get beautiful views back to Lago Di Garda, and up to Monte Baldo.

img089.jpg
View to Lago Di Garda
img093.jpg
The Road Ahead

img085.jpg
Monte Baldo from the distance - not this ride
img094.jpg
Monte Baldo

So the final stats : 1743 m climbing, ave speed 22.3, max speed 70kph, 101km.
jimmymic
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby Joel on Thu 12/Feb/09 2:38pm

headed out with SteveC and ThingOne for a couple of Mt Vic repeats plus short bays... bit wet. felt good though.
Joel
"Style over speed"
Member for: 18 years 8 months

Postby ThingOne on Thu 12/Feb/09 3:16pm

Joel wrote:headed out with SteveC and ThingOne for a couple of Mt Vic repeats plus short bays... bit wet. felt good though.

Its not over for me, got to ride home in this soup. :crazy:
ThingOne
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Postby tony_11 on Thu 12/Feb/09 3:22pm

I have a 30km ride home in the rain :(

How many others have got a lengthy ride in this rain?
tony_11

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Thu 12/Feb/09 3:36pm

Same as previous days lately.
:) Managed to get 70kph down a local short hill (50kph zone :blush: ) that my previous best has been 68 kph on. It must've been the wind blowing the right way.
FLATULENTFRIEND

Postby bakedog on Thu 12/Feb/09 3:57pm

Yesterday: I rode up to silverstream, thru the back roads and up to the top of wallaceville hill, down and back home again. 43km in 1hr 15 which I thought wasn't too bad seeing as I didn't have a watch or a speedo on my bike!

And if you're wondering how I know it was 43km, I used trusty map my ride.com :thumbsup:
bakedog
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Cycling | Road Cycling - Latest Posts