Postby XCguy on Tue 25/Nov/08 8:34am

mtbrat wrote: I saw yous :)

I saw yous two :)
XCguy
Member for: 17 years 1 month

Postby istepinyards on Tue 25/Nov/08 1:23pm

Did the pass run this morning.
Brother revealed his new steed that he didn't tell me about and proceeded to smash me to bits. Held my own up Saddleback, lost 2 minutes up Jamberoo and another 5 minutes up Maquarie Pass.
Damn him and him being 20kgs lighter than me.
Nice morning out now its off to Canberra for a few meetings and a couple of rides on a mountain bike :thumbsup:
istepinyards
"I'm not arrogant, I am just better than you. That is a scientific fact."
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Postby Fergie on Tue 25/Nov/08 4:00pm

Worlds Bays Ride. Bit faster out to Gebbies with gale force winds pushing us along. Then for me it was a bit slower round the Bays. Fark it was hot. I pity the fools who were 15kg overweight. Bugger.
Fergie
"Fat, opinionated and can't ride a bike to save himself. Sounds overqualified to be a coach."
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby mtbrat on Tue 25/Nov/08 5:28pm

mtbrat wrote: I saw yous :)

XCguy wrote: I saw yous two :)

I saw two of yous this time :p
mtbrat
"HUUUGE Tracts of land"
Member for: 17 years 8 months

Postby speedystu on Tue 25/Nov/08 5:42pm

Mini Bergs this pm. Kennedy's, Westmorland and then Hackthorne Rd up to The Kiwi.
Ditto Fergie re the heat - also very blustery around the tops.
Last lot of hills before Taupo - looking forward to the big lake ride :)
speedystu
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby harlansmart on Tue 25/Nov/08 5:52pm

speedystu wrote: Mini Bergs this pm. Kennedy's, Westmorland and then Hackthorne Rd up to The Kiwi.
Ditto Fergie re the heat - also very blustery around the tops.
Last lot of hills before Taupo - looking forward to the big lake ride :)

Cool - Hackthorne Road - I was born at 69 Hackthorne Road (used to be called Netherby) in January of a great year ('72)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyhow I rode late this afternoon from Auckland Central out West through Tiger Country and onto Scenic Drive (via Swanson) and across and back into the City via Titirangi...

Wet and Warm but ok...(i.e. no punctures or anything).
harlansmart
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby Lozz on Wed 26/Nov/08 12:06am

Worlds 2day,

sitting off the front with a few others for most of bays, alanw taking a handful of KOM pts, then 4th up evans after a solid pull from darcy b4 he disapeared. 8min 40 up evans witth a headwind
Lozz
"Shaven and misbehave'n"
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Postby jimmymic on Wed 26/Nov/08 4:44am

jimmymic wrote: The wifey sent me this photo from her ride yesterday..... excuse the angle the camera was hanging on a fence post.....

So now I am in the same land, and so the beautiful sunshine previously shown has now been replaced with beautiful snow - well not beautiful yet but give it another few days of similar temps and will all be good.

Oh the ride is the standard 20km loop out the back from our house, 500m climb the first half and then a chilly 10km descent.

If I doubted the need to spend 90 euro on some full length bib pants, I now no longer doubt it. If I doubted the need for a skull cap, I no longer doubt it. And I will now be out to purchase a neck cover of some description. But my LG windtex gloves did not cut the mustard in the 1-3 degrees this arvo. Can anyone recommend any other gloves capable of handling the very low single digits to below 0 temps?

Oh, and if anyone cares to join us on Saturday - or we could do Sunday if you can't get flights in time - feel free - http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/italy/verona/414778451
img047.jpg
img045.jpg
jimmymic
Member for: 13 years 3 months

Postby nzmatto on Wed 26/Nov/08 10:26pm

Did a hillclimb heaven tonight. First time hill climbing with clippies. Feelin great now!!!

Left home in Maungaraki, started straight up the hill (a killer with no warm up), to the summit of Normandale, and down sweetacres / hill road to the valley floor. Must have seriously heated up my brakes going down there. A brief ride across the bridge and up to Taita, then back down via melling and up Dowse Drive back home.

This is the first time on the road bike that I have made it from the bottom to my place without stopping, or having to zigzag across the road, so although slow I am pretty happy.

D just 21.58k
T 1.07.48
A 19.1kph

It was quite a cool loop and a ride I will do again.
nzmatto
"Cycling changed my life."
Member for: 12 years 3 months

Postby Oli on Wed 26/Nov/08 10:28pm

Good stuff, Matt!
Oli
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby Fergie on Wed 26/Nov/08 10:46pm

Map my ride have now enhanced the elevation function to give a breakdown of the gradients. Can see the Bastard and Climb out of Akaroa hit 18% at points. Faarrkk. Not heading back to those climbs anytime soon.

Jimmymic: thats awesome.
Fergie
"Fat, opinionated and can't ride a bike to save himself. Sounds overqualified to be a coach."

Postby brispuss on Wed 26/Nov/08 11:06pm

nzmatto wrote: Did a hillclimb . . Left home in Maungaraki, started straight up the hill (a killer with no warm up), to the summit of Normandale, and down sweetacres / hill road to the valley floor.

Not Bad! ;)

I've been looking at riding the 'hills' when I think I'm fit enough to do it. Looking at starting from SH2, going up Korokoro Rd, then thru' Korokoro, Maungaraki, Normandale, Belmont, and back down Hill Rd to SH2.

First things first though. I have yet to ride up Wallaceville Rd non-stop. When I can do that relatively easily and quickly, I might then attempt the hills ride.

nzmatto wrote:Must have seriously heated up my brakes going down there.

I don't as yet know what Hill Rd is like in terms of grade and bends, and what your braking technique is. But easing off on braking (application, then release, application, release etc) is usually preferred to minimise over heating brake pads and rims.

nzmatto wrote:This is the first time on the road bike that I have made it from the bottom to my place without stopping, or having to zigzag across the road, so although slow I am pretty happy.

Good!
brispuss
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Postby istepinyards on Wed 26/Nov/08 11:06pm

Hills will be your friend Matt :thumbsup:
istepinyards
"I'm not arrogant, I am just better than you. That is a scientific fact."
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Postby MVink on Wed 26/Nov/08 11:17pm

Lozz wrote: Worlds 2day,

sitting off the front with a few others for most of bays, alanw taking a handful of KOM pts, then 4th up evans after a solid pull from darcy b4 he disapeared. 8min 40 up evans witth a headwind

I wanna do this bunch ride so much. I seem to always have something else I have to do on Tuesday mornings :hmmm:
MVink
Member for: 16 years 4 months

Postby Fergie on Wed 26/Nov/08 11:24pm

Think I will have words to Gydey to prevent you from ever doing so. Don't think I could handle getting dropped before Gebbies!

From those who did the ride this week and last week with Powermeters did you see a difference in speed between the two rides. From Gebbies to Evans I went 10mins slower but I have a cold, we went out a lot harder and it was frigging hot.
Fergie

Cycling | Road Cycling - Latest Posts