Postby OliverBendix on Sat 22/Mar/08 8:49pm

Monolith wrote: Today a few brave souls rode around the Akas loop. In spite of the southerlies and drizzle, 6 of us turned up.
We rode waterfall road on the way down the coast, I think that's the first time my roadie's seen gravel - though it wasn't that much rougher than some of the supposedly sealed roads around!

Nice ride, 109 km round from my the Hutt. I got to about 108 km before the legs ran out of juice so that was good timing! I'd have needed another snack stop to get back to town like you guys.
OliverBendix
"Punter"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby Monolith on Sat 22/Mar/08 9:22pm

Joel wrote: madcore doing 130km on one drink bottle nick :eh: you a camel?

With the drizzle today perhaps some osmosis took place :D

I used 2 bottles today, both diluted powerade. :thumbsup:
Monolith
"Look! I still walk away"
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby Kah on Sun 23/Mar/08 1:14pm

Joel wrote: madcore doing 130km on one drink bottle nick :eh: you a camel?

Didn't you have a camelbak too Nick? Pretty sure we were the only two unshaven, camelbak wearing heathens.
Kah
Member for: 17 years 9 months

Postby Beeker on Sun 23/Mar/08 1:53pm

Just back from a good 40km loop. Thought it might be a bit rubbish with the legs feeling trashed from the gym yesterday but felt solid all the way. Lots of people out burning off their chocolate fueled guilt... seemingly very few of them wanted to give a friendly wave though :huh: Some quite happy to get dragged up the causeway but :hmmm:

Anyone know if the council own the land that the old Maltworks is on? Thinking as I rode past that site would make a brilliant multi-porpoise venue, including a velodrome! Hell even an outdoor one there would be better than having to share Denton Speedrome with the reet thugby players in Hornby (this is a club where the boys stand around & have a fag before running out - I shit you not).

Heard from Fergie. He enjoyed his night of drunken MTB trail riding & sodomy in Hanmer. He particularly enjoyed riding a Specialized & will now be frequenting the MTB forums. He is a bit embarrassed after he walked out into the hot pools there in his Speedo's only to find the pools had been designated an underpants transformation area. :crazy: :blush:
Beeker
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby Ahad on Sun 23/Mar/08 5:54pm

Had an OK ride today. Stayed in town and was up nice and early for once. Quite a bit colder than I'm used to starting off at 7am.
Don't know if it was because I wasn't warmed up, had my heavier front wheel on, or because I'm used to going for rides in the pm? But felt like crap going up Dyers(Colombo st). The Weetbix I'd just eaten was sloshing around in my guts, making me feel sick and seemed to be making it harder to breathe!
Could only manage 8:10 to the Takahe, and 17:44 to the SOK. :hmmm:
Last week with my 2kg backpack on, pair of old shorts and a t-shirt did 17:01, the week before 16:44 so a little disapointed with my form considering Le Race is less than a week away.

Checked out the Bastard with a bit of dew on the cattlestops. Quite a bit of gravel on the first corner after the first cattlestop up the top, but apart from that not too bad . 2nd cattlestop on that right-hander pretty slick so one to watch out for if dewy next Sat (better not be bloody raining :0!) . Down to Millers rd then back up Gebbies and the Bastard (did a good time for me of 16:50 which made me a bit happier considering my crap SOK time) . Then SOK, Evans, School of the deaf, then back up Evans then back to the In-laws in Town to scoff chocolate. :thumbsup:
So 88k's all up
Ahad
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Postby Beeker on Sun 23/Mar/08 7:19pm

Nice ride Ahad. Know what you mean about feeling sluggish first thing. Some people do & I think it is normally a combination of blood sugar sitting low, not having eaten much, not being used to the start, & the body being a bit "cold". Sometimes your nervous system takes a bit to really start firing hard & feel like you are in the zone.
Beeker
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby happybaboon on Sun 23/Mar/08 8:49pm

Coldness + tummy full of wheat slurry + coming out of a restful nights sleep + heavy wheel....... I think you can forgive yourself.

When you've just had a big fibrey bit of cack like a few weetbix and milk I think it's pretty normal to feel a little sluggish. When you excercise your body will take bloodflow from yer guts and deliver it to your muscles instead... And so you feel like arse if you eat a big hard-to-digest meal and then go for a ride. I went to the gym with a belly full of bacon and eggs the other week and felt awful for about half an hour while the pig and chicken ovum slowly crawled into my small intestine.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 18 years 9 months

Postby OldCrank on Sun 23/Mar/08 9:09pm

Finally got my figure 8 ride with Hackthorne, Kiwi, Governers, Gebbies, Bastard, Kiwi, Short Bays and back along the Summit after Evans. Rode from home so 95Km all up. A rather disappointing and lonely ride for 3hrs 51m - the only good thing was no cramping, which has been my downfall in the past, so looking ok for Le Race next Saturday - hoping for something like 3hrs 40m if I can do some drafting out to Little River.
OldCrank
"If it's worth doing, then it's worth overdoing."
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby XCrider on Sun 23/Mar/08 9:29pm

Beeker wrote:Heard from Fergie. He enjoyed his night of drunken MTB trail riding & sodomy in Hanmer. He particularly enjoyed riding a Specialized & will now be frequenting the MTB forums. He is a bit embarrassed after he walked out into the hot pools there in his Speedo's only to find the pools had been designated an underpants transformation area. :crazy: :blush:

:0 i saw him up there today, thankfully not at the pools but also not on his bike. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . he was at the Bakery :lol: so was i though :thumbsup: and he was all dirty so must of had a crash on his bike :thumbsup:
XCrider
Member for: 17 years 1 month

Postby Ahad on Mon 24/Mar/08 12:11am

OldCrank wrote: Finally got my figure 8 ride with Hackthorne, Kiwi, Governers, Gebbies, Bastard, Kiwi, Short Bays and back along the Summit after Evans. Rode from home so 95Km all up. A rather disappointing and lonely ride for 3hrs 51m - the only good thing was no cramping, which has been my downfall in the past, so looking ok for Le Race next Saturday - hoping for something like 3hrs 40m if I can do some drafting out to Little River.

3hrs51's pretty good for 95k's on a hilly course like that. Sounds like you're on track to get your goal time come Saturday, hopefully with a bit of change to spare! :thumbsup:
Ahad

Postby Ahad on Mon 24/Mar/08 12:17am

Thanks for the encouragement B and HBb BTW!
Damned bloody Wheat Slurry, and cold mornings!( have to blame something to make myself feel better...)

...and I thought weetbix was the food of champions! :D
Ahad

Postby Lozz on Mon 24/Mar/08 11:48am

No no no ahad its the food of all blacks. They are world champions... o wait a minute :D
Lozz
"Shaven and misbehave'n"
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Postby Fergie on Mon 24/Mar/08 3:21pm

XC, I wasn't the only one although it was a deceptively flat section of track in broad daylight.

Beeker, yes my long held feelings about Specialized havent changed. Sure the bike was the reason I went so shit uphill and kept hitting things coming down. Should have grabbed the Yeti demo bike.
Fergie
"Fat, opinionated and can't ride a bike to save himself. Sounds overqualified to be a coach."
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby Oli on Mon 24/Mar/08 4:46pm

The Endless Summer continues! Decided to combine a BBQ at my in-laws with a ride, so the family drove out to J'Ville and I rode my Bianchi out the door, not quite sure which way it was going to take me, either straight to their place or the long way around...

I rode around the waterfront enjoying the summery atmosphere, then up Bowen Street onto Glenmore St then Chaytor St, where I got passed by a woman going so much faster then me that I thought I must have stopped by mistake! :crazy:

Through Karori and up Makara Hill, followed by a wicked blast down in about 3 1/2 minutes. Not quite a record - I was sketchy as on a couple of the top corners, and a car slowed me on the bottom third of the descent, but fun nonetheless. I decided I was now officially taking the long way around.

Down the valley, missing the old macrocarpa tunnels but loving the sun, then down to Makara Beach. Sucked up a gel then back up to the Takarau Gorge, which is in great shape. The resealing makes for a slow surface, but all the loose gravel is long gone so it was as safe as I've seen it in a long time.

Up through Ohariu Valley just tik-a-tik-a (read slow as a glacier...) where I saw the only cyclists since Karori, and one was wearing my Roadworks jersey - what are the odds? Nice to see Daryl getting shown how to descend properly by his female ride companion.

Rode into the suburban depths of J'Ville to the in-law's, where I consumed fresh fruit and juice while they devoured meat, then after lolling about in the sun for a while I jumped back on and rode along Burma Road, through Khandallah and Ngaio, then up to the start of the Ngaio Gorge. A guy in a big 4wd was kind enough to wait for me to pass, so I had a clear run down. By now my tuck was dialled so I flew down and onto the Hutt Road/Thorndon Quay, where I shared the ride into town with a woman in Giro Points leaders Milram kit. She'd come from Porirua but was struggling with a dropping saddle, so she rode off to find a bike shop (I had no allen key) while I rode home via the waterfront (again! :blush: ) and up through Newtown...

2.30 for a ride that used to take me 1.45, but it was gloriously hot and I felt fine. Just what I needed to finish this cool Easter weekend off. :)
OliMakara.jpg
Oli
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby sweet_P on Mon 24/Mar/08 4:51pm

Definitely a lovely day for it Oli :)
sweet_P
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Cycling | Road Cycling - Latest Posts