Postby OldCrank on Fri 21/Mar/08 10:16pm

Yeah, a shame that half of the Summit Rd was still closed. :angry:
Cruised over the Kiwi to Governers, turned back around after the Cafe, and back up Dyers to the Kiwi, along the Summit and out to Godley Head, then back along the Summit to the Kiwi and back to town - 72Km.
Hopefully the Summit Rd and Gebbies will reopen after the scheduled rain dampens down that fire. :)
OldCrank
User avatar
"If it's worth doing, then it's worth overdoing."
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby Monolith on Sat 22/Mar/08 3:11pm

Today a few brave souls rode around the Akas loop. In spite of the southerlies and drizzle, 6 of us turned up.

A bit of drizzle heading through karapoti, then again up Paekak hill.

I definitely prefer riding the loop in a clockwise direction - the three climbs are done in the first 80km of the 150km (From Makara Peak).

:)
Monolith
User avatar
"Look! I still walk away"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby Fergie on Sat 22/Mar/08 3:37pm

Off to Hamner to do some MTB and night trail riding. Chances of survival about 10% and I have to ride a dirty Specialized. Urrrgggghhhhhh.
Fergie
User avatar
"Fat, opinionated and can't ride a bike to save himself. Sounds overqualified to be a coach."
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby Beeker on Sat 22/Mar/08 5:20pm

Fergie wrote: Off to Hamner to do some MTB and night trail riding. Chances of survival about 10% and I have to ride a dirty Specialized. Urrrgggghhhhhh.


Well clean it then :eh: :hmmm: ;)
Beeker
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby scatter on Sat 22/Mar/08 5:23pm

Fergie wrote: Off to Hamner to do some MTB and night trail riding. Chances of survival about 10% and I have to ride a dirty Specialized. Urrrgggghhhhhh.


I've heard about this happening. Have fun ;)
scatter
User avatar
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 17 years 2 months

Postby danose on Sat 22/Mar/08 5:36pm

Fergie wrote: Off to Hamner to do some MTB and night trail riding. Chances of survival about 10% and I have to ride a dirty Specialized. Urrrgggghhhhhh.


you'd better watch out hamish - next thing you know you'll start to like it ;)
danose
User avatar
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby way_downsouth on Sat 22/Mar/08 6:29pm

Monolith wrote: Today a few brave souls rode around the Akas loop. In spite of the southerlies and drizzle, 6 of us turned up.

A bit of drizzle heading through karapoti, then again up Paekak hill.

I definitely prefer riding the loop in a clockwise direction - the three climbs are done in the first 80km of the 150km (From Makara Peak).

:)


Monolith broke me. Riding into town was death, a quick stop and stretch got me home though.
way_downsouth
User avatar
"Average at best"
Member for: 16 years 11 months

Postby Nick_K on Sat 22/Mar/08 6:34pm

Took the cross bike out for a spin.

Meet kah, mono and pete and rode with them (or at least tried too) to upper hutt. They turned off to do the aka loop while I continued along SH2 to the rimutaka incline.

Never been up the incline before and have to say a it wasn't really the most exciting ride but at least it was fast on the crosser. Had planned to try link in with tunnel gully but was fairly soaked so just headed home the way I had came except for riding the Hutt river trail part of the way.

Nasty headwind coming home and got a puncture just after Petone. All up about 130ish km


If was I to ride it again the best way would probably be to catch the train to featherson and do it as a 1 way linking up rimutaka incline, tunnel gully then the Hutt river trail. Would mean only having to ride SH2 once. Maybe a trip for another day.
k 003.JPG
Nick_K
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby Beeker on Sat 22/Mar/08 6:54pm

It's a Speshy!! :thumbsup: Noice! :D
Beeker
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby Nick_K on Sat 22/Mar/08 8:17pm

way_downsouth wrote:
Monolith wrote: Today a few brave souls rode around the Akas loop. In spite of the southerlies and drizzle, 6 of us turned up.

A bit of drizzle heading through karapoti, then again up Paekak hill.

I definitely prefer riding the loop in a clockwise direction - the three climbs are done in the first 80km of the 150km (From Makara Peak).

:)


Monolith broke me.


What a hardout!
Nick_K
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby Joel on Sat 22/Mar/08 8:21pm

madcore doing 130km on one drink bottle nick :eh: you a camel?
Joel
User avatar
"Style over speed"
Member for: 18 years 0 months

Postby Nick_K on Sat 22/Mar/08 8:23pm

Joel wrote: madcore doing 130km on one drink bottle nick :eh: you a camel?


I stopped for a bottle of powerade too but yeah I was pretty dry by the end of it.
Nick_K
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby Joel on Sat 22/Mar/08 8:25pm

Nick_K wrote:
Joel wrote: madcore doing 130km on one drink bottle nick :eh: you a camel?


I stopped for a bottle of powerade too but yeah I was pretty dry by the end of it.


powerade :crazy:


from the photo looks like only one bottle holder on the cross bike?
Joel
User avatar
"Style over speed"
Member for: 18 years 0 months

Postby Nick_K on Sat 22/Mar/08 8:28pm

Joel wrote:
Nick_K wrote:
Joel wrote: madcore doing 130km on one drink bottle nick :eh: you a camel?


I stopped for a bottle of powerade too but yeah I was pretty dry by the end of it.


powerade :crazy:


from the photo looks like only one bottle holder on the cross bike?


It does have room for a second one, just haven't put on on.

A "real" cross bike doesn't have any room for any.
Nick_K
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby Joel on Sat 22/Mar/08 8:29pm

Nick_K wrote:
Joel wrote:
Nick_K wrote:
Joel wrote: madcore doing 130km on one drink bottle nick :eh: you a camel?


I stopped for a bottle of powerade too but yeah I was pretty dry by the end of it.


powerade :crazy:


from the photo looks like only one bottle holder on the cross bike?


It does have room for a second one, just haven't put on on.

A "real" cross bike doesn't have any room for any.


or disk brakes.. UCI rules are fuked
Joel
User avatar
"Style over speed"
Member for: 18 years 0 months

Cycling | Road Cycling - Latest Posts

Who is online

47 Users browsing this website: Google [Bot], MSN [Bot] and 45 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • ProBikeKit
  • Vorb Shop
  • Wiggle
  • Chain Reaction Cycles
  • GT Bicycles