Postby littleman on Wed 23/Jan/02 1:24pm

:( once did a cycle tour with three others throught rainbow station, went the wrong way and didn't have enough food.
ended up eating dry weetbix with peanut butter and sugar on top for tea.
then the next day we road to the hearest highway and stopped a car, and they gave us some fruit and bread to get us to the shops.
have you blowen and eaten crap to survive? :blush:
littleman
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby Wookie on Wed 23/Jan/02 1:49pm

bugger.....   i've had nightmares like that.... :cry:

But its more like a half hour dawdle.....    without taking snacks...

he he he he    :sneaky:
Wookie

Postby Tama on Wed 23/Jan/02 3:46pm

After the infamous "Puerora Death Ride" I found myself back at Whanganui Bay with Chuckles doing the cooking.

Charlie "Oh Dear, I seem to have put lamb in the curry"

Tama "I'm so broken, I don't care"

Unfortunately Tama + Red Meat = Vile Stinking Gaseous Emissions

After the car ride home none of my flatmates ever harassed me about not eating red meat again... heh heh heh
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"

Postby Jono on Wed 23/Jan/02 8:36pm

I remember walking between eltham and hawera (hint: it's very boring, and there are a lot of small hills) once, and at the end only had $2 to buy food (and this was in 1984), so ended up discovering the joy that is "tin of sardines with torn up piece of bread and cheese on top"...  ???
Jono
"High Grade Mental Defective"

Postby seamonkey on Thu 24/Jan/02 2:44am

Hmmm. I have vauge recollection of going out for a road ride up some mother of a steep hill half way along the hutt road. I was on a road bike that weighed just a little more than the titanic, with added features such as solid rubber tires and buckled rims that were rubbing furiously on the brakes. Unfortunately I am not known for my "feel" on a bicycle and followed littleman, at speed, up this big hill. Thus I bonked; I blew and blew bad.My vision went all funny and my legs went all jelly. I recall staggering into the Nearest Service Station and eating one pie two chocie bars and a packet of pick n mix lollies, not much I know but try it in 20 seconds.   :crazy:
Moral: don't road ride :p
seamonkey

Postby seamonkey on Thu 24/Jan/02 2:51am

Oh wait I remember now. The infamous (well it should be) west coast pasta. It was wet, as only the west coast can be and had been for two days. It was the middle of nowhere. I slept in a block of toilets. We'd run out of food.  We had pasta with extra ingrediants ( to spice it up) of freeze dried fish and cheese sauce, and for that extra something special, pickled onions, all mixed in to make a truely lovely dish.  :thumbsup:  
I had two helpings. I am still in thearapy. ???
:withstupid:
seamonkey

Postby Jono on Thu 24/Jan/02 6:36am

Yeah - I remember it being fine "until anna added the dried fish". I remember sitting in my tent (while it was raining), and making popcorn on the little gas stove I had...  ;)
Jono

Postby littleman on Thu 24/Jan/02 8:24am

:D i remember that road ride with seamonkey. his bike was twice the weight of a mtb.
i couldn't belive how fast that food went down, i don't think the pie made it out of the shop!
the rest didn't make the next set of traffic lights just down the road.
but this is the man who can eat two large pizza's on his own in one sitting.
:laugh:
littleman

Postby Hoz on Thu 24/Jan/02 9:15am

real moral of the story.....don't try and stay with Littleman up a climb :D

That curry story Tama is an interesting sequel to that enjoyable little Pureora ramble........one I hadn't heard before even from Chuckles.......and to think we were exactly where I said.....only 50m from the other track and 20 mins back to the car in that direction........bit different from the 3 hour diversion that eventuated in the other direction...ha ha ha

My vote for "will eat anything" doesn't result from riding....back in the late '80's when I was jobless and totally broke(and not on the dole) I lived in the bush on rice, potatoes, watercress and Puha and what came to be known as the "eternal possum stew"......when the level got down after a few days I just added more ingrediants to the big cast iron stew pot.......longest stint without washing the pot was about 3 weeks from memory.......the novelty of possum stew wears off pretty fast when that's all you eat morning noon and night  :p

One 7 hr cross bike ride I did in '96 out east of Martinborough around Tora and White Rock left me soooooo broken due to lack of food. When I got to within 5 kms of the campsite and the road turned back to gravel again....stopped me dead in my tracks. I collapsed on the grass at the side of the road(last powerbar was 3 hours earlier) and couldn't move......groggy as hell......shit only 5 km to go before a big feed.....couldn't make it.....needed sustenance. Next thing I knew I was eating the grass that my face was lying on.......Mmmmmmm, grass(chew, chew) :p I tell ya, it tasted damn good(probably why I've got occasional vegetarian tendencies these days) :D

But it worked! After 10 mins of chewing I dug deep and wobbled back the last 5 km to the camp(did I add that it was actually downhill....just as well, or I'd still be out there grazing with the cows)........anyway, ate everything in site(including the packaging) and an hour later was a new Hozman

So I'd recommend grass to anyone as a backup energy supply(just make sure a dog hasn't pissed on it first) :D
Hoz

Postby Jono on Sat 26/Jan/02 3:13am

Actually, this reminds me. Seamonkey and me were out on a ride a couple of weeks back, and going through a nice little village called "goring" (as they do in britain - what with "lower and upper slaughter"), and we got onto how toffee pops are the ideal post-ride food. It's very easy to consume an entire "normal" packet of toffee pops while vegging on the sofa after a long ride. And because (as detailed by Dan Koeppel some time back, post ride, there is a short period when they are "free calories" and don't have any effect on your tummy size...)

Only problem is that you can't get toffee pops here. Anyone want to send me some? :)
Jono

Postby seamonkey on Sat 26/Jan/02 5:09am

Just a friendly note to Jono to say "i feel your pain" on the whole toffe pops issue. ???
I'd feel it alot less if people sent me the toffe pops instead of you.  :satan:
seamonkey

Postby Jono on Sat 26/Jan/02 12:22pm

And, if while you were at it, you sent some proper dried apricots (you know, the ones from cromwell that are really sharp), I'm sure that neither mike nor I would complain...  :p
Jono

Postby Hutch on Sat 26/Jan/02 12:57pm

All I can say is keep away from mountaineering.

Johnny 2 Cakes and I climbed Mt Tutoko in Fiordland once, on two packets of shrewsberries. That would have been OK, if we hadn't finished them at 9pm the night we left, as we sat at 2,200 m in an unplanned bivy waiting for morning.  

So we had to continue down all the next day with no food, from 6am to about 7pm when we got back rather hungry.  Johnny was just about hallucinating by then, reckoned the big crevase chunks of ice were actually icecream and he could smell them.

The sardines waiting for us at the camp had never tasted better.
Hutch

Postby Nathan on Mon 28/Jan/02 11:23am

There was this time back in band camp, when we were practicing our flute, and we trotted into the forest, and we got lost, and then a storm came. :0

So we like sheltered in this old mine shaft and sang happy songs, and when we got hungry we hunted for Huhu Grubs (tastes like Peanut Butter) :p and watercress (tastes like Watercress) :p .

So we like made this Warm Salad of Huhu Grub with honey suckle dressing. And in the morning we all trotted back to band camp and sent our recipe to Cuisine Magazine :eh:
Nathan

Postby Tama on Mon 28/Jan/02 11:53am

Don't tell fibs Nathan - or I'll spank you good... I mean it this time - with the fly swat... that's right the broken one with the sharp plastic end...  :hmmm:
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"

Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts