Calendar Event: November 9, 2006 - March 1, 2007
Interval: 1 week
Repeat: 17x

TB: Wainui Thursday Night Trail Building

Postby hickie on Sat 4/Nov/06 3:08pm

Come and help us build trails in the Eastern Hutt/Wainui Hills. Check out http://www.vorb.org.nz/ftopict-46231-wainui.html for more information on the project.

Postponed for 22nd Feb

Meet at the end of Waiu St, Wainuiomata (The red X) at 6pm each Thursday night during daylight savings time. We will work until just before dark.

You can access the trail from both the top and bottom of the hill. Just let us know you are coming if you need tools so that we can take them up for you, but you are welcome to bring your own. Picks and mattocks are the most suitable choice. Also bring gloves and water.

I will notify people here on Vorb and by email if it's canceled. You can contact me on 021 996-345

Cheers

Neil[/b]
wainuitrails4.jpg
Last edited by hickie on Thu 8/Mar/07 10:21am, edited 8 times in total.
hickie
"I've got a singletrack mind..."
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby hickie on Wed 8/Nov/06 7:43pm

Well, the weather looks as if it's going to be OK tomorrow evening so meet at the church car park at 6pm.

Also if anyone has a chainsaw could you please contact Tryfan as we currently have a couple of large logs across the track.
hickie

Postby fantail on Wed 8/Nov/06 9:11pm

hickie wrote: Well, the weather looks as if it's going to be OK tomorrow evening so meet at the church car park at 6pm.

Also if anyone has a chainsaw could you please contact Tryfan as we currently have a couple of large logs across the track.
Must be another solution - that's a negative on the bring a chainsaw idea - don't want to risk council shutting the trail project down. Hutt CC has a no power tools, no spray policy for voulnteers and I know they suspended two people from the western hills this year for using a chainsaw...
fantail
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Postby hickie on Wed 8/Nov/06 9:21pm

Was that up Korokoro?

Might have to talk to the council then, as the two logs are both old fallen trees. The council do go up with Tryfan occasionally to inspect the trail so they may arrange to do it if we're lucky.

The logs are too big for hand saws. Could use the axe but it would take a long time to do all 4 cuts. One of them could possibly be moved but I would guess at least 6 people would be required to do that, maybe even 8 and that's more risky than cutting. Any ideas?
hickie

Postby fantail on Wed 8/Nov/06 9:33pm

yup that was Korokoro...

the upshot was that they want to send a fully certificated dude when any any power tool is required, at their expense (because of health and safety law) so give Chris in Parks a call first thing in the morning and invite him to the working bee (get him away from the surfboard)
fantail
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Postby hickie on Thu 9/Nov/06 4:16pm

Well the weather isn't playing nice, but I'll still be there.
hickie

Postby tryfan on Thu 9/Nov/06 5:24pm

See you up there mate might go a bit earlier and survey...
tryfan
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby Natral on Thu 9/Nov/06 5:53pm

hickie wrote: Well the weather isn't playing nice, but I'll still be there.

The weather is playing Frikken Freezing :hmmm:

I'd like to come along but i have a MP meeting, sorry :)
Natral
Member for: 17 years 8 months

Postby hickie on Thu 9/Nov/06 9:41pm

Man, that was hard slog tonight. A few cm of topsoil then solid graywhacky (sp?) but at least the weather held out.

It's also nice to see the track holding up to the weather.

Well hopefully it'll be nicer next week. Alternative you can turn up on Saturday to help Tryfan.
hickie

Postby tryfan on Fri 10/Nov/06 4:42pm

Wow - Hickie found rock, real solid rock...

I have been digging earth and clay in the nui valley for a while now and Hickie strikes rock!!

Ha! - i got to whimp about with a pink cast on and play with the rake..

10 plus metres of good trail though - despite rock.

See you tommorow..
tryfan

Postby tryfan on Mon 13/Nov/06 5:50pm

I will be there Thursday Hickie.. hope to bring a bridge with me!

6pm meet

Anyone else coming?
tryfan

Postby hickie on Mon 13/Nov/06 7:15pm

Yeap, 6pm meet in the church car park (red dot on the map). If you are late just walk on up the trail, the green line shows a very approximate path of the trail.

The weather is looking ok at this point, maybe just a bit windy which might make desirable to hide under the trees.
map.JPG
hickie

Postby hickie on Thu 16/Nov/06 1:59pm

I'm still keen if others are :)

It's not going to be cold, even if it is a bit wet. Let me know if you would also like to come and play in the mud :thumbsup:
hickie

Postby hickie on Fri 17/Nov/06 1:10pm

We were fortunate with the weather and managed to re-route a section around a boggy dip last night. It will ride a little rough until we have a chance to bring in a bit of fill.
hickie

Postby hickie on Wed 22/Nov/06 1:11pm

looking good for tomorrow night, let me know if your planning to come along so I can bring some tools.

cheers

Neil
hickie

Cycling | Lower North Island | New Zealand | Regions | Trail Building | Wellington Region - Latest Posts