This topic has not been added to any channels. This will make it hard for users to find. Type relevant channels into the Add Channel box to add them.

Is There A Mtb Trail Around The Circumference Of Lake Taupo?

Postby bikerjake on Wed 1/Nov/06 6:44pm

is there a mtb course arond the circumference of lake taupo? or is it just road :)
bikerjake
Member for: 11 years 3 months

Postby cauld on Wed 1/Nov/06 6:47pm

:pmob: no
cauld
"God Botherer Botherer"
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby dented on Wed 1/Nov/06 7:47pm

If you are asking because you have heard about the MTB option in this years Round the Lake ride, my understanding is that there is the option to do it as a relay, whereby the first rider leaves the startline and goes out to Spa Park, then along to Huka Falls, then some tracks around Craters, then finish up out by the Saleyards on Poihipi Rd, having completed 22km's of off-road riding, and finishing up only 8km's into the road course, then you hand off to your next relay member, and the whole rest of the ride is done on the road (on the normal route).

*Some of the details could be slightly off, but I think the majority of that is right on principal. :)
dented
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby bikerjake on Wed 1/Nov/06 7:55pm

ok, i was just wondering cause i have to go down to taupo for my brothers north island sailing compitetion for 3 days and ill be dead board and i need something to fill in a whole day, do you know of any good tracks/parks in the region?
bikerjake

Postby dented on Wed 1/Nov/06 8:04pm

Day 1: Explore Craters of the Moon, 40km's of singletrack, well sgined and graded. Head North out of Taupo for 4 km's, Turn Left opposite the big Helicopter, go up the road 400m to the carpark.

Day2: Drive out to Kinloch. Ride the shared MTB/walking from the North end of the beach over to Kawakawa Bay, then Return. 15km's of nice Native track, allow at least 2 hours.

Day 3: Go back to Craters for some more, or do the Waihaha Hut track.

Its all in Kennetts book, available here.
dented
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby bikerjake on Wed 1/Nov/06 8:24pm

cool, thanks heaps dented!!
bikerjake

Postby Datsane on Wed 1/Nov/06 11:25pm

Also a trail that runs from huka falls (which you can ride off road to from spa park, don't ride the walking track) that goes to one of the dams, which open at 10am and 2pm I think. Awesome to watch and there is abit of stuff that you can ride around to look at.

You can get a map from the bike shop that shows you the ride you can do :thumbsup:
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby JumpR on Thu 2/Nov/06 9:49am

I think there is a long term plan to try and achieve an off road route around the whole lake.. Although i could be wrong.. I believe that builders have make good progress out Acacia Bay way?!?
JumpR
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby Tama on Thu 2/Nov/06 9:50am

JumpR wrote: I think there is a long term plan to try and achieve an off road route around the whole lake.. Although i could be wrong.. I believe that builders have make good progress out Acacia Bay way?!?
Yup - that is a long term plan - but the realization of it is many many years away.
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby VERT on Thu 2/Nov/06 10:57am

Tama wrote:
JumpR wrote: I think there is a long term plan to try and achieve an off road route around the whole lake.. Although i could be wrong.. I believe that builders have make good progress out Acacia Bay way?!?
Yup - that is a long term plan - but the realization of it is many many years away.

yeah I heard about this too several years ago
VERT
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby james on Thu 2/Nov/06 11:03am

james
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Postby ryda on Thu 2/Nov/06 11:17am

Guess you could ride next to that black stuff all the way around taupo.....some of those drainage trenches would make for pretty challenging single track ?
Last edited by ryda on Thu 2/Nov/06 3:14pm, edited 1 time in total.
ryda
"WTF"
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby Friendly Llama on Thu 2/Nov/06 1:35pm

dented wrote:Day2: Drive out to Kinloch. Ride the shared MTB/walking from the North end of the beach over to Kawakawa Bay, then Return. 15km's of nice Native track, allow at least 2 hours.

Have you ever ridden that? Cos we walked it to get to the climbing and I thought it'd make for a nice ride...
Friendly Llama
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Postby AarowNZ on Thu 2/Nov/06 3:24pm

Friendly Llama wrote:
dented wrote:Day2: Drive out to Kinloch. Ride the shared MTB/walking from the North end of the beach over to Kawakawa Bay, then Return. 15km's of nice Native track, allow at least 2 hours.

Have you ever ridden that? Cos we walked it to get to the climbing and I thought it'd make for a nice ride...

I've riden it before. It's pretty cool, especially the decent down to Kawakawa bay.
AarowNZ
"What?"
Member for: 14 years 1 month

- Latest Posts