Epic Jungle Hike-a-bike Shoes Wanted. Recommendations?

Postby inzane on Thu 26/Oct/06 10:19am

So peoples, i need some decent jungle mission shoes. Something sturdy, with at least a bit of rubber on the bottom so I can stomp through the raging rivers, wade through rooty swamps and climb over slippery trees. If they have special "swinging from the vines" type grip I could be well pleased. I found my Sidi's were a bit sketchy when I went for a bit of a jungle bash last weekend. They definitely are not good for the silly river crossings and slippery rooty swamps I was playing in...

Also they need to have enough clearance around the cleat, so that clipping in is not a pain in the arse...

It could be a shoe, or a mid type boot thing. Fastening, as long as it is not all velcro straps I think anything goes. Velcro straps come undone when you walk in deep mud...which can mean you end up leaving a shoe at the bottom of a mud pit...

Any recommendations on what I should get? Anyone got a pair of something like this in a 43??

Cheers
Last edited by inzane on Mon 24/Nov/08 5:11pm, edited 1 time in total.
inzane
"Ride better, ride faster"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby mjc on Thu 26/Oct/06 10:26am

Tramping boots and Toe-clips? ;)

Lake do some shoes with what look like fairly chunky Vibram soles. I think they're all velcro though...
mjc
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Postby inzane on Thu 26/Oct/06 10:29am

Tramping boots with the cleats bolted onto the sole ;)

I could not care less about vibram...it is slippery shite. Yes it wears well, but that is why it is slippery shite!!
inzane

Postby j2hyde on Thu 26/Oct/06 10:32am

Flats and approach shoes.
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby inzane on Thu 26/Oct/06 10:36am

j2hyde wrote: Flats and approach shoes.

I like being clipped in...
inzane

Postby mjc on Thu 26/Oct/06 10:38am

inzane wrote: Tramping boots with the cleats bolted onto the sole ;)

I could not care less about vibram...it is slippery shite. Yes it wears well, but that is why it is slippery shite!!

Vibram rubber come out in different stickyness though... like tyres. My Vibram boots are the roXXor.
mjc

Postby inzane on Thu 26/Oct/06 10:40am

mjc wrote:

Vibram rubber come out in different stickyness though... like tyres. My Vibram boots are the roXXor.

Ooooh, I did not know that. Makes sense I guess. How do you tell what stickiness of vibram the certain shoe maker has used tho??
inzane

Re: Epic Jungle Adventure Shoes Wanted. Recommendations? Off

Postby danose on Thu 26/Oct/06 10:40am

inzane wrote: I found my Sidi's were a bit sketchy when I went for a bit of a jungle bash last weekend. They definitely are not good for the silly river crossings and slippery rooty swamps I was playing in...

Also they need to have enough clearance around the cleat, so that clipping in is not a pain in the arse...

diadoras - either geckos or chilis (the 04/05 chilis are on special all over right now - nice agressive tread, big cleat pocket, and two velcro straps with old-school laces underneath, reasonable extra armouring in the high wear bits)

not cobras though - they just have 3 velcro straps and are tending to the xc-race end of things like the sidi bullets etc

I always wondered what the adidas hematoma would be like (technially a dh/freeride shoe) - but never seen them for sale here so a moot point
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby sifter on Thu 26/Oct/06 10:40am

I have some blue Scott shoes with laces and a single velcro strap that I'm happy with, and could well suit your needs. Scott USA's website seems to indicate they've replaced the laces with another couple of velcro straps, but you may find someone has them in stock here. They're similar to the Shimano shoes I attach
MT40 200.jpg
sifter
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby danose on Thu 26/Oct/06 10:42am

mjc wrote:

until you've worn approach shoes with 5.10 rubber on you don't know what stick is (but it wears at a crazy rate)

my old sporiva 'guide' approach boots (with vibram climbing shoe rubber on) were more than sticky enough though
danose

Postby inzane on Thu 26/Oct/06 10:51am

mmm have looked at Chillis before. They might be the go for jungle missions...
inzane

Postby mjc on Thu 26/Oct/06 10:51am

Do Vibram® use different rubber compounds?
Yes, Vibram® has a vast range of differing compounds. Each compound has its own unique properties, based on certain physical-mechanical criteria (elasticity, density, hardness, slip-resistance, abrasion resistance, cut resistance etc…). Each compound has been produced to meet the requirements of specific products (casual, comfort, sport) and guarantees the maximum performance for a specific use.

I've never worked out anything better than the "dig your fingernail into the rubber" test for stickyness though...
mjc

Re: Epic Jungle Adventure Shoes Wanted. Recommendations? Off

Postby james on Thu 26/Oct/06 10:53am

danose wrote:diadoras - either geckos or chilis (the 04/05 chilis are on special all over right now - nice agressive tread, big cleat pocket, and two velcro straps with old-school laces underneath, reasonable extra armouring in the high wear bits)

not cobras though - they just have 3 velcro straps and are tending to the xc-race end of things like the sidi bullets etc

ditto geckos/chillis are good the cobras I shredded pretty quickly best kept for racing.

my sidi rampa's are doing okay at the moment. a shimano DX with a decent tread patten would be mint.
james
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Postby wgtngrl on Thu 26/Oct/06 10:57am

Answer Impact have laces and 3 velcro straps, grippy rubber with good chunky tread, and toe spikes. Only time I had problems with clearance around the cleats was a couple of times around karapoti after ending up thigh deep in bogs on devils. They were fine in tunnel gully mud even when the back wheel stopped spinning there was so much mud between it and the frame! Could always go egg beater to get around that though.

Never had any problems getting through rivers, and even after losing toe spikes in really sucky mud they still had enough grip to keep working in the slippery steep stuff (better than my current speshys but I haven't put the spikes in them yet).

I really rate them - uber comfy. Falling apart now after 2 years (including the recent Wellington winter that killed hills!) and they are still mega comfy.
wgtngrl
User avatarMedal

Postby danose on Thu 26/Oct/06 10:57am

inzane wrote: mmm have looked at Chillis before. They might be the go for jungle missions...

unfortunately I had to cut the soles down quite a bit on mine to get clearance on mallets/dxs - but even then they're good in the mud (indeed the stock tread is so deep they can end up holding on to mud rather too well anyway)

not too stiff either - so ok to walk in. BikeBiz and BikeHQ both had them for 1/2 price last I saw....
danose

Cycling | Epic Riding | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts