Is There Any Good Mountain Biking In Gisborne?

Postby chewbacca on Thu 5/Oct/06 11:30am

I am heading up that way this New Years, staying at Wainui beach... and are considering taking my bike.

Is there any good downhill/freeride/single track up that way?
chewbacca
Member for: 11 years 5 months

Postby meastro on Fri 6/Oct/06 1:34am

well not really, i live there and such, there is one dh trak (really dumm) its about 1.5 minuites long ay. theres another one with a 40 stepdown but i havnt been up there in a while. its piss easy
meastro
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby Flyboy on Fri 6/Oct/06 8:17am

damn im sorry to hear that. I think theres plenty of potential in that area, the landscapes pretty ideal for dh/singletrack, i just dont think theres much of a MB community in those parts, though I may be wrong.

I know a few areas that'd be perfect, they just need a few days with a digger and it'd be totally sifty!
Flyboy
"Destined for Disaster"
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Postby Gizzyrider on Fri 6/Oct/06 9:27am

Flyboy wrote: damn im sorry to hear that. I think theres plenty of potential in that area, the landscapes pretty ideal for dh/singletrack, i just dont think theres much of a MB community in those parts, though I may be wrong.

I know a few areas that'd be perfect, they just need a few days with a digger and it'd be totally sifty!

Check out Gisborne Cycling website. There Is abit on whats happening with MTBing in gisborne a few posible develpments in the pipeline that i no of. Website is www.gisbornecycling.co.nz
Gizzyrider
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby meastro on Fri 6/Oct/06 12:51pm

nah ur pretty much right, only a handful of dhers and no-body keen to lend us land
meastro

Postby chewbacca on Fri 6/Oct/06 1:27pm

meastro wrote: nah ur pretty much right, only a handful of dhers and no-body keen to lend us land

Guess I will be leaving my bike in Wgtn then.

It is a shame there is not much support up your way as you have so many possibilities with the terrain around there.
chewbacca
Member for: 11 years 5 months

Postby Flyboy on Fri 6/Oct/06 1:36pm

It is a shame there is not much support up your way as you have so many possibilities with the terrain around there.

too damn right it is.
I might be spending a few days that way this summer- folks are moving into new farm- might give you guys a buzz if I can manage to get my ride over there too
Flyboy
"Destined for Disaster"
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Postby thekiwi on Fri 6/Oct/06 2:14pm

Flyboy wrote:

too damn right it is.
I might be spending a few days that way this summer- folks are moving into new farm- might give you guys a buzz if I can manage to get my ride over there too

There is a few of us XC focused riders and the Fox St tracks, whilst not ideal, are OK. Most of us ride areas where there arent "formal" tracks, more forest tracks, gravel roads and farmland. The way it used ot be :) There isnt a lot of DH options in the area and to date the DH'ers, from what Ive heard, havent done their cause any good,
eg
* The Fox St tracks are on Council land and no structures are allowed to be built or tracks made without Council consent. They are tough rules we all have to live by, but some still insist on building ... which slacks the council right off
* The previous MTB club imploded and its not hard to see why when the attitude when talking to some of the local DH'ers (who seemed ilke nice enuf people) was to "stuff" everyone else. Not a great way to build unity amongst cyclists.
* THere seems to be "history" between MTB's and the roadies whcih seems to have impacted the MTB aspect more .. with the road club going from strength to strength and the MTB club folding. We currently have a MTB committee within the Cycling Club and are trying to get things rolling again.

Like most things tho' there are lots of people who would love to ride sweet single track and D/Hills ... but sadly few who are prepared to pick up a shovel and get organised. It also requires people who have the nouse to negotiate with land owners/ council ... in a way whicih is semi intelligible.
thekiwi
"A bad day of riding beats a good day at the office"
Member for: 12 years 9 months

Postby thekiwi on Fri 6/Oct/06 2:17pm

chewbacca wrote:
meastro wrote: nah ur pretty much right, only a handful of dhers and no-body keen to lend us land

Guess I will be leaving my bike in Wgtn then.

Yea ... thats the feeling a few of us have got. When you see the terrain some areas have managed to turn into tracks, we have some pretty primo acerage available ... and close to town. Sadly the boom in MTBing that is occuring around the country seems to be bypassing poor old Gizzy.

We are trying at the moment to get things moving, but getting people motivated is going to be the hard part.
thekiwi
"A bad day of riding beats a good day at the office"
Member for: 12 years 9 months

Postby meastro on Fri 6/Oct/06 5:00pm

fox street hill, the traks are so wide u could have 4x on them
meastro

Postby Gizzyrider on Fri 6/Oct/06 7:41pm

meastro wrote: fox street hill, the traks are so wide u could have 4x on them

Thats an Idea.Hang on a second we have a gay concail that think that anything like that causeing a bike to get more than 0.01mm in the air is to dangerous and walkers will start complaning about these "young Hoons" acting like idiots f**k The councol lets build what we want and if those F**kin walkers dont like it go back to your Foot Paths
Gizzyrider
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby meastro on Fri 6/Oct/06 7:57pm

rrraaarrr pretty much, i built 2 jumps up there, honestly only like 15cm big each and i got told if i ever build one again ill be prosocuted
meastro

Re: Is There Any Good Mountain Biking In Gisborne?

Postby DeepDaysDave on Mon 1/Nov/10 9:50am

Hey Fellas, I live in Gizzy am keen to see something happen on the DH front, Know FA about it but am good with a shovel. flat mate loves it aswell.

Need a hand?
DeepDaysDave
Member for: 6 years 11 months

Postby r4q2 on Sat 30/Jul/11 9:26pm

Kaiti Hill would make a sweet DH track! And with that tar sealed road you could get shuttled all day....
r4q2
"Whea hey hey!"
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Postby Epic1 on Tue 10/Jan/12 10:52pm

:) Give me an e mail,I've got some sweet XC on back door step2.5 hrs plus ,minus ,rides
Epic1
Member for: 5 years 9 months

Tramping - Latest Posts