Postby Tama on Fri 11/Jan/02 7:12am

So Mr B - what forks are you getting then?
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby Jono on Fri 11/Jan/02 9:37am

I'm getting fox Float 100 RLCs - I'll get spacers put into them to bring them back to 80mm, because my frame is old-skool, and 80mm was long travel back then...

MB Distraction review of the fox forx has some info - there are better URLs out there, but I can't find them at the moment

And if tama is right, and I shouldn't have moved from Marzocchi, then you'll all get to sneer at me. Of course, Tama shifted from them first, so I had to. Look on it as a scientific experiment for the greater good of society.

Edited By Jono on Jan. 10 2002 at 21:37
Jono
"High Grade Mental Defective"

Postby Tama on Fri 11/Jan/02 9:58am

You're buying forks designed by someone who looks like this?
:eh: Good Luck!

I know I have strayed from the path of Bombers, I am dirty and bad and come winter I expect to suffer... oooh yes... suffer because I have sinned! (slap slap slap)
Tama

Postby Jono on Fri 11/Jan/02 10:44am

Yeah, but look at einstein...and he invented something so odd that nobody else could understand it...
Jono

Postby Jono on Sat 12/Jan/02 9:39am

oooo ooo ooo - ok, so I went and picked up the bike this afternoon. It's pretty. And grey. And now improved with 100mm of travel (I discovered that dropping it to 80mm wouldn't drop the fork height, so I might as well have more inches).

The all-important shop-floor bounce out of the way, and the comforting "you've made a really good choice" chat completed, I rode home.

First impressions...mmmmm - 32mm stanchions...very stiff - and lockout that works. The travel is really smooth (there were a ton of road-bumps that i felt on the ride out (with the super flys) that I didn't on the ride back (with the floats)

I've taken a bunch of pictures, and as soon as I find a web place to dump them, I'll post them up...
Jono

Postby Tama on Sat 12/Jan/02 8:02pm

I fondled some Float 100s at J'Ville Cycles today - very pretty, and stiff (I did my 'flex test' with them and a pair of SIDs to show the Wookie how lemon like SIDs are)

Now the big question: Can they handle the mud? :eh:
Tama

Postby Jono on Sun 13/Jan/02 12:11am

They've got a special section in the manual about how to check for flex - hold onto the crown and push the base of the fork - there shouldn't be any space between the seals and the stanchions; then do the same thing from the seals, again looking for flex...

In terms of mud clearance, only this weekend will tell. I think that they are better than the super flys - floats are rated for up to 2.4" tires (they give the motoraptor55/60 as an example), and having a solid brace (rather than full of holes) might help with not getting so much mud trapped - in the end, I think that only discs will tell - the arch supremes catch their fair amount of mud  :crazy:
Jono

Postby Jono on Mon 14/Jan/02 5:43am

So the first (non-road or shop floor) ride is over, and I'm pretty pleased.  :D  - Mike Mayne and I went out to Epping forest, which was pretty cool. It looks like it's got a lot of options, and some of it is even singletrack (although not singletrack in the NZ (overgrown with trees/make a mistake and get thrown down a bank) sense)...

We were riding from Epping station, and wondering which way to go, and then a big bunch of bikers rode past, so we hooked up with them and followed them around for a couple of hours.

The first "offroad" section we hit was a bit of broken-up concrete farm cow track. The forks were great - I could barely feel the (pretty significant) breaks and gaps in the concrete.

At the moment, I'm running everything pretty much in the middle, and it felt pretty good. I could probably bump up the lockout blowoff a bit more, but it too works pretty well. It almost feels like a rigid fork with the lockout on...

In total I manged to get 75mm of travel out of the forks, so I could probably run them a bit softer. That said, they felt pretty good as it was...and they still let me climb up a (short) steepish and muddy section.

Overall, I'm damned pleased with them...they track damned fine, didn't flex at all, and got lots of people saying "ooo...the new fox forks" (so it was all good all round).

We're off to bedford next weekend for a friends birthday, so there is not likely to be another play for a couple of weeks (unless I manage to get out for an afternoon later this week, which will depend on how work is going)...but in two weeks we'll be out doing something (maybe bath, maybe epping forest again, or the people we rode with were talking about thetford, which they rated pretty well...)
Jono

Postby Jono on Thu 17/Jan/02 1:01am

Ok, so the madness will never cease now - ha ha ha - I've got my own webspace....

Jono

Postby Jono on Thu 17/Jan/02 1:08am

....and here we have a picture of the beefy stanchions, and nice webbed brake arch. To be honest, I was suprised at how stiff the forks are - they're kewl... :p

...and look ma....no plastic!  :D

...and finally, you may have seen this elsewhere...

Jono

Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts