Urgent: Stiff Link, Help!!

Postby singlespeeder on Fri 21/Jul/06 7:55am

hey all,

I have just converted the old roadie to a SS as an emergency commute bike, but I have a stiff link which could cause me problems on the way to work. Any ideas on how to fix/loosen it? I have applied oil, but it is still a bit stiff. It is a SRAM PC1 btw.

I will check back in the morning (i am in europe)

thanks

dave
singlespeeder
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Postby SlackBoy on Fri 21/Jul/06 7:57am

grabe said "stiff" link with hand either side and thumb on offending link. Bend back and forth. This should loosen it up somewhat
SlackBoy
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby james on Fri 21/Jul/06 8:02am

otherwise carefully loosen it up using a chain tool.
james
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Postby wgtngrl on Fri 21/Jul/06 8:14am

Remove offending link and replace with a powerlink (if it's that sort of sram chain - I think all srams are...)

And they say there's nothing to go wrong on singlespeeds - pfft! :p
wgtngrl
User avatarMedal
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby singlespeeder on Fri 21/Jul/06 8:29am

well, i think it is stiff due to chain tool, so i will try bending lightly. It has a sort of quick link, but it is AWOL.

thanks, ill put a photo of the 2hr bike up tomorrow. Looks good

dave

ps, the reason i "had" to build it is that Friday is "show off your bike day". Motorbikes that is, so i will outclass all of them :satan:
singlespeeder
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Postby Sims on Fri 21/Jul/06 9:13am

Most chain tools have two positions to place the chain. Usually the side of the chain is just pressed against a back of the tool. Using the forward set of teeth, you can place the chain over them like it was setting on a cog. Now rather than pushing the side plates flat, and squashing them together, you can apply pressure to just the outside set of plates, reduce the pressure, and free up the link.

I've included a nice pic :)

Simon
Untitled-1.jpg
Sims
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Cycling | Road Cycling - Latest Posts