Postby gimp on Tue 8/Jan/02 7:42pm

Maguras have the following advantages over disc brakes
* They're cheaper
* They're more powerful than disc brakes - I meant Maguras are more powerful than v-brakes damnit - ahhhhh whip me
* You don't need disc mounts
* You don't need disc wheels
* Did I mention how much build a pair of disc wheels can cost?

However - they are still affected by the following things
* Wet rims
* Buckled rims
* Flexy forks and frame
... which discs are not generally affected by.

If you dragged me out of my gimp cave and paddled my arse with the Yellow Pages until I squealed I'd give you the following advice.

$300 is a good price, but you will need to add the following bits to your shopping list (if the Maguras don't come with them)
* Braces front and rear Unless you like your frame and forks flexing like wet celery and sucking up all of your brake power
* Q/R front and rear Unless you like unbolting your brakes or letting your tyres down everytime you take the wheels off
* Spacers for the forks Pretty much mandatory on most suspension forks

Setup
You will not believe what a complete arse Maguras are to set up and bleed. Believe me, you'll scream, you'll cry, you'll lock yourself in the toilet and sulk while your mother tries to calm you down with milk and cookies.

Best get a reliable bike mechanic to do it, go to a bike store which has a good reputation - the last thing you want is spotty little monkeys getting their greasy fingers on your bike and making a hash job of it. Some bike mechanics specialize in setting up Maguras - if you find one of these you're sorted.

You may want to check how much your going to get charged for getting your Maguras set up (Did I mention you need a Magura bleed kit if you want to set up your brakes by yourself?)

But Once They're Set Up
Sweet as Melon Farmer. You'll only need to replace the pads occassionally, but all things going well they'll work fine for years without needing to be setup again. The life span of Magura brakes seems to run at around 5 years, but I've seen them go for longer. Be careful with trashing the hydraulic lines though - they're not as strong as steel cables.

Hope this helped.
gimp
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby Jono on Tue 8/Jan/02 11:10pm

A couple of other downers with them:

I'm not sure if they've fixed it, but a while back it was relatively easy to catch a hydraulic cable on a branch (as you do), and rip it out. Once it's out, you're stuffed (unless you happened to pack your tools, bleeding syringe and oil into your camelback (and I'm not talking about drugs)).

Probably not as much of a problem in NZ, but if you're doing anything with excessive clay mud, you'll get a big ball of gummy fun around your brake arch. Mind you, this happens with any regular type brake as well (especially those with their own stiffening hardware - such as the arch supreme (I'm speaking from experience here...))

Other than that, they rock - just ask DJ Manson - he slammed himself head-first into a bank at 40km an hour, turned himself into a (forgetful) dribbling wreck, but his brakes were suite  :p
Jono
"High Grade Mental Defective"

Postby SlackBoy on Wed 9/Jan/02 12:42am

I would like to say to his high gimpageness
Share the drugs!!!!
Maguras stronger than disks, what freakin planet are you on

And I'm a long long time Magura user as well

See the Mullet, FEAR the Mullet!!!!!
SlackBoy

Postby Mr Strange on Sat 19/Jan/02 11:43am

I agree with the gimp, he is always right and it's good that he does such a nice job and people think he is me which is generally a good thing as he is a lot less lazy, but I never wear rubber because I like to sweat freely.....

Buy your Maguras direct from http://www.groundzero.co.nz/   for $228.15, but unless you are a good mechanic do not fit them yourself. I find them a pig to install, and have been known to waste 2 hours just fitting one of the bloody things. And I am supposed to be a good mechanic.....

For the novice, the instructions are sketchy (Scheisskopf Deutchlander), and just to be confusing they come with extra parts in the box you won't need. (spare washers and bolts)

But once they are on, they are most effective and the pads are very good. They work extra well with ceramic rims.

:thumbsup:
Mr Strange
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby Jono on Mon 21/Jan/02 1:14am

Yo wheels - anyone told you that your photo looks like a dodgy ali g?  ;)
Jono
"High Grade Mental Defective"

Postby SlackBoy on Mon 28/Jan/02 2:03pm

Personally I never have that much trouble setting up my maguras.
I only bleed them once every year or so.
I have crushed a line once and had lines pulled out by muzzers packing my bike in the trailers wrong whilst shuttleing. But never have I had a line pulled out by a branch, arms legs handlebars, wheels, noses, ears helmet straps, camelbaks straps lycra shorts, rear pockets in cycling tops all have cought on branchs, but never brake lines.
But i tend to break normal cables a lot, usually my left brake, or front derailuer (mmm how'd my left arm get so strong, i mean i am left handed but.....?)

Braces are mandatory (spesh if your teeth are crooked) as they make most frames out of spagetti these days.
And make sure you get the spacers for your forks that have the lil allen key bolts in them else you'll lose the spacers ALL the time like I do.

Maguras have that extra frottiness when speaking and showing off to punters that know nothing (such as tama). You get to say "Waa Waa I've got hydrualic brakes, Waa Waa"
Try and get hold of ones that are fluro yellow as if you have frotty parts they need to be shown off not hidden in gun metal grey.

Purple anodizing is cool and will gaurantee you lots of friends, and remeber girls luv fluro lycra as well, the tighter and higher pulled up the better
:withstupid:
SlackBoy

Postby Tama on Sat 17/Feb/07 8:45pm

Was searching for something completely different and came up with this classic 5 year old post :thumbsup:
gimp wrote: Maguras have the following advantages over disc brakes
* They're cheaper
* They're more powerful than disc brakes - I meant Maguras are more powerful than v-brakes damnit - ahhhhh whip me
* You don't need disc mounts
* You don't need disc wheels
* Did I mention how much build a pair of disc wheels can cost?

However - they are still affected by the following things
* Wet rims
* Buckled rims
* Flexy forks and frame
... which discs are not generally affected by.

If you dragged me out of my gimp cave and paddled my arse with the Yellow Pages until I squealed I'd give you the following advice.

$300 is a good price, but you will need to add the following bits to your shopping list (if the Maguras don't come with them)
* Braces front and rear Unless you like your frame and forks flexing like wet celery and sucking up all of your brake power
* Q/R front and rear Unless you like unbolting your brakes or letting your tyres down everytime you take the wheels off
* Spacers for the forks Pretty much mandatory on most suspension forks

Setup
You will not believe what a complete arse Maguras are to set up and bleed. Believe me, you'll scream, you'll cry, you'll lock yourself in the toilet and sulk while your mother tries to calm you down with milk and cookies.

Best get a reliable bike mechanic to do it, go to a bike store which has a good reputation - the last thing you want is spotty little monkeys getting their greasy fingers on your bike and making a hash job of it. Some bike mechanics specialize in setting up Maguras - if you find one of these you're sorted.

You may want to check how much your going to get charged for getting your Maguras set up (Did I mention you need a Magura bleed kit if you want to set up your brakes by yourself?)

But Once They're Set Up
Sweet as Melon Farmer. You'll only need to replace the pads occassionally, but all things going well they'll work fine for years without needing to be setup again. The life span of Magura brakes seems to run at around 5 years, but I've seen them go for longer. Be careful with trashing the hydraulic lines though - they're not as strong as steel cables.

Hope this helped.
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"

Postby j2hyde on Sun 18/Feb/07 12:28am

Woah! Was the rest of vorb this informative, insightfull and witty in the old days?

Even Slackboy sounds clever :eh:
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby Bigfoot on Sun 18/Feb/07 7:04am

Thats why you see some of the vorbii pining for the old vorb :love:

New vorb rules though :D
Bigfoot
"We are the Village Green Preservation Society"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts