Postby Jono on Wed 26/Dec/01 2:26am

...better...

Ok. So I've been here since september 1. Here, of course, being the (completely flat) London. And I've managed to get out on the bike once (thanks Mike Mayne!)

Anyway, after the first ride (shitty muddy wheel-clogging leafy excellent ride that it was), I got to thinking about how my life would be so much better if I didn't have v-brakes catching leaves for me, and how discs would be all that was missing in my life.

First problem - my bike is a hardtail (of the old-skool variety), and doesn't have disc mounts. And, in a fit of trying to make forks that where as light at crock-shox, marzocchi forgot to add disc mounts to the 2000 Super-Flys.

Solution 1: Replace the forks. Fortunately, I had just picked up a MTB mag over here, and they had a review of the new fox float forks, which they fully rated. And then I discovered an excellent shop in Kensington ( Dirt and Dreams Website )which is actually allowed to stock the fox forks (only 2 shops in the UK are, as far as I can tell). Of course, they don't have any stock until early jan, but I could bounce some of the lower-end models that one of the shop people had on his klein (they were suite (yes, like a good sofa))

Problem 2: When I get discs, I'll need to get new shifters (because the ones I've got on the bike now are the XTR integrated ones).

Solution 2: No problems - get XTR shifter pods

Problem 3: Oh yeah - my XTR is the 8-speed variety

Solution 3: So buy a nine speed cluster at the same time as the pods then, stupid (this problem solving is getting easy).

Problem 4: I've got crossmax (with no disc hubs), and a set of original (and bomb-proof) hope hubs that do have disc mounts, but no-one seems to be able to find a proper spider for the minis

Solution 4: This one is a little more hairy. So I could get the new crossmax UST disc, but then I would need to go with the whole tubeless thing. And if we were to be honest, I have broken 3 crossmax rims over the past 2 years....I would quite like to find out that there is a spider available, but if not, I guess I'll be getting another set of custom-built hope hubs with mavic rims, to be bombproof for another couple of years.

Problem 5: There still won't be any rear mounts on the frame. According to the nice bike shop ™, hope make some nice retro-fit thingies for such situations. Also, when I went through the Litespeed factory, they did mention that they can add on disc mounts (mainly during the winter, when their production runs are small), so I might look at that as a longer term option...

Summary: If I spend something like $4500, I'll have a new and updated bike in the cupboard, and then surely I'll want to make myself take it out more.

To be fair, the biking here (when you can find it) is pretty fun. Think the muddiest shittiest ride you've done in NZ(whaangamomona?), but with leaves added to really clog up the wheels properly. And there seems to be something about english soil that means it doesn't drain properly...

The main hassle is that you have to travel quite a way from the city to get a ride in (around 40 minutes by train seems to be normal), and then the rides are mostly sections of track joined by small country back-roads (which are paved)...

Jono
Jono
"High Grade Mental Defective"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby kasester on Mon 14/Nov/05 9:32pm

You dont get hurt when you fall of.
kasester
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby DrLauren on Mon 14/Nov/05 9:38pm

This had me confused for a moment, till i saw the date
DrLauren
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby Dodgy_Matt on Mon 14/Nov/05 9:39pm

kasester wrote:You dont get hurt when you fall of.

Do you go out of your way to post random stuff in threads that are years old?
Or do you have ADD? :eh:
Dodgy_Matt
Member for: 13 years 1 month

Postby big_daddy_jj on Mon 14/Nov/05 9:43pm

ADD i say its funny to see the people that get sucked in...
big_daddy_jj
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Postby VERT on Mon 14/Nov/05 9:54pm

DrLauren wrote:This had me confused for a moment, till i saw the date

me too

and I feel sorry for Jono that no one had replied to his post until now
VERT
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby JohnnyC on Mon 14/Nov/05 9:56pm

Bearing in mind there was only about 6 people on vorb when this was started :eh:
JohnnyC
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby DrLauren on Mon 14/Nov/05 9:57pm

VERT wrote:and I feel sorry for Jono that no one had replied to his post until now

Were there many people around back then to reply?
DrLauren

Postby happybaboon on Mon 14/Nov/05 10:01pm

DrLauren wrote:
VERT wrote:and I feel sorry for Jono that no one had replied to his post until now

Were there many people around back then to reply?

I *think* Foam (thats what the forums used to be called) was about one day old on 26/12/01... :eh:

I didn't turn up until some months later :huh: :paranoid:
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby DrLauren on Mon 14/Nov/05 10:08pm

I wonder if it was meant to be symbolic, starting up on Christmas day, like the birth of a new religion.
DrLauren

Postby happybaboon on Mon 14/Nov/05 10:11pm

I had lentils for dinner so I'm all gassy, but I just did a big fart and now I'm feeling much better.

Sorry? Did you say something about religion? You'd probably have to ask Tama what his motives were....
happybaboon

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Mon 14/Nov/05 10:42pm

then he went and spoiled it all and went completely to the dark side (Santa Cruz..... mmmmmfph)

hopfefully the litespeed is a canti braked single speed, with rigid forks and canti brakes. oh, and moustache bars.
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby happybaboon on Mon 14/Nov/05 10:47pm

Henry Dorset Case wrote:then he went and spoiled it all and went completely to the dark side (Santa Cruz..... mmmmmfph)

hopfefully the litespeed is a canti braked single speed, with rigid forks and canti brakes. oh, and moustache bars.

It's interesting to look back at what people were riding only four years ago :crazy:

Jono has, in this case, gone from a Ti hardtail with minimal forks and v brakes to a big squishy monster with massive disc brakes :thumbsup:

I've gone from an Avanti Black Diamond with four chainrings and cantis to a big floppy reign with hydraulic discs and all the shizz :thumbsup:
happybaboon

Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts