Postby Jono on Mon 31/Dec/01 9:23am

Ok mr tama - you've been riding them for a month or so now - are they any better?

I'm particularly interested in getting a set of discs for the old trusty - not so much from the stopping power (haven't ever crashed into something because the brakes didn't work yet), but from the fact that it'll remove something that collects mud, leaves, rocks, small branches, marmots and other sleepy woodland creatures (all which (most importantly) add weight to your bike, but also slow you down to a crawl)...

...and, like everyone, I enjoy a good tirekick...
Jono
"High Grade Mental Defective"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby Tama on Wed 2/Jan/02 8:49pm

I would have to say discs are something that you don't think you'll need, but when you get them... (spank spank spank)

Yes, I like my XSIV disc, it's been on for 6 weeks and I've gone through a set of pads, and a spring (spring broke and then went into pads)... But performance wise - oh boy... I would put discs front and rear - unless your frame doesn't have the mounts, then some grunty v-brakes or Maguras are a good call.

Still getting used to the power but happy to say that I haven't maxed them out by a long shot. Wet weather performance is nipple raisingly good, and you can dribble on your disc at the bottom of downhills and watch it steam...

In short, if you're into it, get discs.
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"

Postby Jono on Fri 4/Jan/02 12:57am

So, the consensus so far is:

a) Hope minis rock
b) XSIV rock
c) Mudzy rates his avid mechanical discs (and a number of reviews I've seen said the same thing).
d) clogging up your v-brakes with mud and leaves sucks arse.  :baaa:
e) Hope 4 pot systems may cause trouser tentage, which is ok if you're wearing baggy trousers, but a bit hard to hide if you're in lycra.
Jono

Postby Tama on Tue 29/Jan/02 2:27pm

There also seems to be a general consensus that CODA disc brakes blow goats...  :0

But that will serve CODA users right for being rich enough to afford Cannondales...  :sneaky:
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"

Postby Hoz on Tue 5/Feb/02 9:57am

Mmmmm......Hayes mechanicals are gonna be my pick....can't be bothered with oil hassles and don't need quite that much power....just better rain performance than v's give ya :D

however, need to find an adaptor to fit them to my mountless LTS....have seen a pic of one in the brit MBR mag on a spec FSR M4 that looked ideal......mounts off the v post and screws into the side of the dropout. Better than the yank "brake therapy" version of the same approach.

Jono, ya wanna make some enquiries over there for such a device for me? Will score ya some matai beer for the info....... :D  :p
Hoz
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby Jono on Tue 5/Feb/02 11:47am

Well, I don't drink, but thanks for the offer (it's likely, however, that I'll be in the country in late march or april...so you can't get out of it that easily :) ). I've actually been out riding a couple of weeks ago with someone who had one - wrapped around his rear hub it looked like - I think that hope make them, and I know that litespeed do as well (it was on a litespeed, so it might have been one of theirs, although I'm pretty sure it was the hope one...)

I'll follow this up (I need one for myself if I want discs, so it's not a completely selfless act :)  )
Jono

Postby Hoz on Tue 5/Feb/02 12:11pm

cheers mate...awesome

I drink beer but not the matai variety(see yesterdays story-telling episode to Naf for an explanation on it's origins and side effects) :D

you see any 8 speed thumbies (XT or suntour XC's) for sale in you wanderings over there...I'm after a replacement set

viva la thumbshifters!! :rolleyes:
Hoz
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts