Hamiltron To Host The V8 Supercars

Postby mikey on Thu 16/Feb/06 7:23am

blatently stolen from stuff.co.nz :blush:
all i can say is woot!

Wellington's loss is Hamilton's gain, with the city tipped to host New Zealand's only V8 Supercar street race.

Hamilton City Council is expected to announce today that it has paid $7 million to secure New Zealand's biggest annual sports event from April 2008, ahead of Wellington and Auckland, which bowed out of the race to host the fixture last year.

The race will also come at the expense of Pukekohe, which has hosted the New Zealand leg of the series since 2001.

It is estimated it will attract more than 200,000 visitors to Hamilton and pump more than $150 million into the city's economy over seven years.

V8 Supercars New Zealand promoters, Capital Streetrace Management, refused to confirm the venue shake-up, but engineers were expected in Hamilton today to inspect the roads and put a works programme in place.

Wellington Mayor Kerry Prendergast said she admired Hamilton for deciding to host the event, as there were risks in the city obtaining resource consent. "I congratulate them on their gutsy decision and I wish them all the luck," she said.

Last April, Wellington City Council, citing resource consent problems, abandoned its bid to stage the race this year.

However, in July, the city put its hand up to host the event from 2008.

Race organiser Avesco spokesman Cole Hitchcock said he was excited to hear that a New Zealand venue was close to being announced.

Auckland had "missed out on a golden opportunity (to host the event) because of draconian resource consent laws", he said.

V8 Supercar Australia was on the brink of stopping the New Zealand race altogether last year tilltill Capital Streetrace Management agreed to pay the cost of air freighting the 32 racing teams to Auckland to keep the race at Pukekohe for two years.

However, the Australians made it clear they wanted to secure a seven-year deal for the race.

Frontrunners initially were Wellington and Auckland but resource consent issues hamstrung their bids.

Negotiations to stage the race in Hamilton began in the middle of last year.
mikey
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby happybaboon on Thu 16/Feb/06 7:25am

Hang on... I thought Hamiltmong already hosted street races for V8s AND rotors every Friday and Saturday night? :eh:
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Thu 16/Feb/06 7:27am

The Tron can now rightfully take its crown as bogan capital of the world! I'm betting they put a giant fibreglass mullet at the entrance to the city. :)
E Dogg Capizzle
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby happybaboon on Thu 16/Feb/06 7:29am

E Dogg Capizzle wrote:The Tron can now rightfully take its crown as bogan capital of the world!

It's not a crown, it's a hub cap... And they've had it ever since they lost X Air to Wellington :sly:
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"

Postby CroMo on Thu 16/Feb/06 7:39am

That is good news. Last time Hamiltron hosted street racing it was awesome!!

I hope they get the required consents. :thumbsup:
CroMo
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby WelshStoat on Thu 16/Feb/06 7:43am

It still amazes me to understand Just how naive I was in seeing New Zealand as a Bastion of Environmentally sound, Morals, Ideas and practises.

The first time it hit me was seeing a Sticker in a Wellington House window, Declaring...

NO! To Wind Turbines!!! :crazy: ??????

The second time was at Gisbourne Speedway... When (apart from the poluting vehicles) I noticed the amazing similarities between Kiwis... and Mid America Redneck Hicks :(
WelshStoat
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Postby Tama on Thu 16/Feb/06 7:47am

Good news for Hamilton. Auckland never had a chance, and Wellington got more and more messy. :thumbsup:

Who would have guessed? =} http://www.vorb.org.nz/ftopict-17315.html
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby 1scotty1 on Thu 16/Feb/06 7:49am

WelshStoat wrote:It still amazes me to understand Just how naive I was in seeing New Zealand as a Bastion of Environmentally sound, Morals, Ideas and practises.

The first time it hit me was seeing a Sticker in a Wellington House window, Declaring...

NO! To Wind Turbines!!! :crazy: ??????

The second time was at Gisbourne Speedway... When (apart from the poluting vehicles) I noticed the amazing similarities between Kiwis... and Mid America Redneck Hicks :(

How can 200,000 people watching 32 people drive cars NOT be environmentally sound.
1scotty1
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby Tama on Thu 16/Feb/06 7:50am

1scotty1 wrote:How can 200,000 people watching 32 people drive cars NOT be environmentally sound.

He's got you there Mr Stoat. 200,000 people standing around watching is 200,000 people NOT driving their cars around ;)
Tama

Postby Dazzle on Thu 16/Feb/06 7:53am

Tama wrote:
1scotty1 wrote:How can 200,000 people watching 32 people drive cars NOT be environmentally sound.

He's got you there Mr Stoat. 200,000 people standing around watching is 200,000 people NOT driving their cars around ;)

It would be better if they were watching 32 people on bicycles riding fast around the inner city.

But Hamilton did have a round of the Womens World Cup road racing, and despite very fit women in lycra being on display the turn out was about the same as an average Outback 2 am brawl. :(
Dazzle

Postby pissface on Thu 16/Feb/06 7:59am

Dazzle wrote:But Hamilton did have a round of the Womens World Cup road racing, and despite very fit women in lycra being on display the turn out was about the same as an average Outback 2 am brawl. :(
something to do with the time of day?
pissface
"Boneshaker"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby Tama on Thu 16/Feb/06 7:59am

Dazzle wrote:But Hamilton did have a round of the Womens World Cup road racing, and despite very fit women in lycra being on display the turn out was about the same as an average Outback 2 am brawl. :(

100,000 Hamiltonians? That's great!
Tama

Postby pissface on Thu 16/Feb/06 8:00am

cos afterwards they all go away thinking "driving really fast is cool, revving your engine to sound like a racecar is cool, v8's are cool" = 200,000 people comsuming twice as much petrol as before :)
pissface
"Boneshaker"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby jeremyb on Thu 16/Feb/06 8:39am

Awesome news, NZ needs a high profile street race like the old wellington street race days!!

And pissy, those same 200,000 people don't suddenly get any richer that they can afford to buy a V8 or use tons more gas :sly:
jeremyb
"www.derailled.co.nz - New Zealand Cycling Forum"
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Postby Tama on Thu 16/Feb/06 8:41am

_jb_ wrote:And pissy, those same 200,000 people don't suddenly get any richer that they can afford to buy a V8 or use tons more gas :sly:

Especially as they'll be buying saussies in buns for $5.50 a pop.
Tama

Motoring | Motorsport | Sifting - Latest Posts