Starting A Late Garden

Postby lubie on Tue 10/Jan/06 2:07pm

so I've been home a couple of days now - there's a big plot of land out the side of my flat that I've decided to turn into a vege garden. It'll be mostly veges and herbs.
Here's a list of stuff i'm thinking about putting down - do other people garden? What's a good late summer / winter crop to put down?
veges - potatoes, beans, carrots, zucchini, broccoli, radishes, lettuce
herbs - sage, chives, garlic chives, parsley, dill, corriander, basil, bay, rosemary

some of the herbs I already have but others i'm going to need to get, so if anyone has any they'd like to donate, i'm not gonna say no :)
lubie
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby Bigfoot on Tue 10/Jan/06 2:09pm

lettuce and radish should be realy good because they grow fast... its not like you guys get frost anyway :p
Bigfoot
"We are the Village Green Preservation Society"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Re: Starting A Late Garden

Postby wachtourak on Tue 10/Jan/06 2:09pm

lubie wrote:herbs

Trust you.

I'm going to grow some chillis.

If I remember right from helping out in the vege garden when I was little, potatos are a bit harder to grow than the other stuff you have listed. You could grow some cucumbers too.
Last edited by wachtourak on Tue 10/Jan/06 2:11pm, edited 1 time in total.
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Tue 10/Jan/06 2:10pm

PM Mrs Alma G: she is the gardening guru....

also she designs them for a living....
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby pissface on Tue 10/Jan/06 2:20pm

ask at a gardening shop?also the library would have a number of gardening magazines, and i bet there will be a recent issue with a feature article on "getting a late garden in"
etc :)
pissface
"Boneshaker"
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby lubie on Tue 10/Jan/06 2:22pm

wachtourak wrote:

Trust you.

shuddup dick.

wachtourak wrote: I'm going to grow some chillis.
If I remember right from helping out in the vege garden when I was little, potatos are a bit harder to grow than the other stuff you have listed. You could grow some cucumbers too.

Chillis! wicked.
Potatoes are like the EASIEST thing ever to grow - you can never get rid of them once they're in.

not sure that the chillies and cucumbers would like the plot - i've been monitering sun all day and it's been dappled to shady for most of the day. gutted.
lubie

Postby |ncary on Tue 10/Jan/06 3:50pm

lubie wrote:
wachtourak wrote:

Trust you.

shuddup dick.

:eh: whats he talking about lubz?
\
|ncary
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Postby fox on Tue 10/Jan/06 3:56pm

I always found beans grow fairly decently in my old house.
fox
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Postby scatter on Tue 10/Jan/06 4:40pm

From my trusty Yates book:

"this is the time to plant out cabbage, cauliflower, leeks, lettuce, silverbeet and spinach"

Things like cucumbers, garlic, onions, potatoes and tomatos are ready for harvesting now, so you've probably missed the boat on that one.

Our next door neighbour has the most amazing vege garden, it's so prolific that he's always bringing stuff over :thumbsup:
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"

Postby Tama on Tue 10/Jan/06 4:52pm

Bigfoot wrote:lettuce and radish should be realy good because they grow fast... its not like you guys get frost anyway :p

What's a "frost"? :eh:
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby bugle on Tue 10/Jan/06 4:55pm

I planted tatos a couple of weeks ago and they are going off

Brocolli, calui and cabbage went in today

strawbs, radish, cucumber, silverbeatm mint, chives, parsley, black currants and rubarb are going well
bugle
"Bah, who hasn't killed the neighbour and rooted their corpse after one too many cab savs?"
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby lubie on Tue 10/Jan/06 5:39pm

scatter wrote:From my trusty Yates book:

"this is the time to plant out cabbage, cauliflower, leeks, lettuce, silverbeet and spinach"

sweet! potatoes were re-located, silverbeet and spinach will probably go in this weekend if I can find seedlings. definitely want some winter broccolli though and lettuces i'll grab seeds from a supermarket or some such.

:)
lubie

Postby Bigfoot on Tue 10/Jan/06 5:40pm

Tama wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:lettuce and radish should be realy good because they grow fast... its not like you guys get frost anyway :p

What's a "frost"? :eh:

when it gets all cold out, water actually goes from being a liquid to a solid :0
Bigfoot
"We are the Village Green Preservation Society"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby Datsane on Tue 10/Jan/06 5:59pm

lubie wrote:
scatter wrote:From my trusty Yates book:

sweet! potatoes were re-located, silverbeet and spinach will probably go in this weekend if I can find seedlings. definitely want some winter broccolli though and lettuces i'll grab seeds from a supermarket or some such.

:)
Since your growing your own trying those fancy lettuces, as you can just pick acouple of leaves or the whole thing.

What about bloody tomatos :angry:
It will be alittle late for somethings tho seed packets tell you when and went you can't plant.
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby lubie on Tue 10/Jan/06 6:11pm

it's way too late for tomatoes!! Tomatoes need to be planted in like August so they ripen over the summer. if I plant them now, they'll just rot.
Plenty of practice growing tomatoes in wellington.
lubie

Gardening | Sifting - Latest Posts