Mellow West Coast Trail Clip

Postby Tama on Wed 7/Sep/05 8:16am

This is a mellow video clip from deep in the West Coast of the South Island. Spike and I headed out for a two day mission and were justly rewarded with endless singletrack and all day riding. This clip is entirely from Kirwans Track, an old mining trail North of Reefton.

We didn't do the whole trail as it's one hell of an epic, but got some primo singletrack riding in and got out just before dark. As you can see from the clip it was a bit damp at times but nothing to bad. Spike was riding his Ruckus I-Drive and I was on my YDOpen singlespeed, which was a bit of a work out.

The next day we did the Croesus Track near Blackball and got totally saturated. I got a bit of video from the Croesus but the weather got so bad we soon lost interest with playing around with the camera. The Croesus is awesome, with less wash-outs and windfalls than Kirwans, so it was easier to get your flow in on the massive downhills. It's quite hilarious riding down a stream in the pouring rain on a short wheelbase singlespeed - I was surprised how much I cleaned :thumbsup:

Today is a rest day and the driving lights on the Hearse have blown so I need to get that fixed before I head towards Canterbury.

Just as a note - it would be easy to do Kirwans and Croesus from Nelson/ Blenheim/ Christchurch/ Westport/ Greymouth in a weekend. You'd need to have decent fitness and understand the finer points of being prepared for bad things happening in the middle of nowhere, but definitely a worthwhile mission.
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby Clarky on Wed 7/Sep/05 8:29am

Man, that's beautiful. Kinda like a Dave Mitchell photo that moves. :rolleyes:
Clarky
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby mtbrat on Wed 7/Sep/05 8:32am

choice - have to wait until I get home - work blocks more than 5 mbs
mtbrat
"HUUUGE Tracts of land"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby Tama on Wed 7/Sep/05 8:32am

Clarkster wrote:Man, that's beautiful. Kinda like a Dave Mitchell photo that moves. :rolleyes:
The low quality of the video doesn't do justice to how damn GREEN it is out there. Very beautiful and isolated forest, it's amazing to see how much effort was put into building "roads" and bush tramways to get to the gold. I don't think anyone made their fortune.
Tama

Postby Stu_W on Wed 7/Sep/05 8:40am

Tama wrote:I don't think anyone made their fortune.

Except maybe the bloke hired to build the roads...

Looks like you stumbled onto the set of Jurassic Park - sweet vid.
Stu_W
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Postby WelshStoat on Wed 7/Sep/05 8:48am

Great to get a reminder of how good the weather is on the West Coast......By Crikey I love that place.

Special thanks for showing me that last Year Tama. ;)
WelshStoat
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Re: Mellow West Coast Trail Clip

Postby Fergs on Wed 7/Sep/05 8:48am

Tama wrote:You'd need to have decent fitness

Dammit, counts me out :D but nice vid though. It looks a lot like Craigieburn in some parts. :thumbsup:
Fergs
Member for: 12 years 9 months

Postby Vinnie on Wed 7/Sep/05 9:11am

That looks like a sweet track to ride! I wanna go ride it when I'm up through there later this year.
Vinnie
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby fraserb on Wed 7/Sep/05 9:18am

very cool looking track Tama.
and a damn fine piece of film too :thumbsup:
fraserb
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby Kazmeistyr on Wed 7/Sep/05 9:36am

Tama wrote:
Clarkster wrote:Man, that's beautiful. Kinda like a Dave Mitchell photo that moves. :rolleyes:
The low quality of the video doesn't do justice to how damn GREEN it is out there. Very beautiful and isolated forest, it's amazing to see how much effort was put into building "roads" and bush tramways to get to the gold. I don't think anyone made their fortune.

It certaintly is some fantastic landscape. Luckily for me, I spent a great deal of my childhood in them thar hills, at least ones in the vicinity.

Might give that a crack when I get back down to see the whanau :thumbsup:
Kazmeistyr
"has the power of Greyskull"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby james on Wed 7/Sep/05 9:38am

That is so cool Tama, thank you very much. :)
james
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby jeremyb on Wed 7/Sep/05 9:40am

Nice clip, very mellow, what are you using for editting? :eh:
jeremyb
"www.derailled.co.nz - New Zealand Cycling Forum"
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Postby Tama on Wed 7/Sep/05 9:44am

jeremyb wrote:Nice clip, very mellow, what are you using for editting? :eh:
Windows Movie Maker - shot on a $400 Canon Powershot A510 :thumbsup:

Definitely keen on a 3 chip DV camera, but that'll take money.
Tama

Postby james on Wed 7/Sep/05 9:58am

Tama wrote:Definitely keen on a 3 chip DV camera, but that'll take money.

Yar that would be cool.

Is the uncompressed footage much less pixelated?

Loving your work, wish I was there.
james
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby Tama on Wed 7/Sep/05 10:55am

:pmob: To get it under 8 megabytes I have to take down the bitrate to around 256kbps. It's definitely less pixelated at high quality but sits around 25 megabytes :(
Tama

Cycling | Middle South Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Reefton | Regions | Trail Riding | West Coast - Latest Posts