New Cateye Triple Shot Led Light

Postby Tama on Fri 17/Jun/05 4:10pm

The Triple Shot has arrived - this alloy bodied 3 Super LED, NiMh battery light weights only about 850 grams, has the power of a 20Watt halogen and more than double the Runtime (3 hours +). The Smart Charger will recharge in 3 hours.

It's going to be available in NZ from Monday the 20th onwards. I have no idea on the price yet sorry, but it seems to be a pretty compact and funky design - my current battery weighs well over 2,000 grams :(
triple shot.jpg
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 18 years 7 months

Postby CleverNickName on Fri 17/Jun/05 4:13pm

looks sweet....is the cash flow card in the photo as a hint or something? ;)
CleverNickName
Member for: 17 years 5 months

Postby Tama on Fri 17/Jun/05 4:15pm

CleverNickName wrote:looks sweet....is the cash flow card in the photo as a hint or something? ;)
That's what I originally thought - until I realised it was there to show how small the battery is :blush:
Tama

Postby happybaboon on Fri 17/Jun/05 4:19pm

Hmmm, tiny, new cateye light...

It'll be REALLY expensive :hmmm:

Does look awesome though.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 18 years 6 months

Postby james on Fri 17/Jun/05 4:22pm

happybaboon wrote:It'll be REALLY expensive :hmmm:

it better be otherwise I'll be sad.
james
Member for: 16 years 5 months

Postby jonts on Fri 17/Jun/05 4:27pm

Chuck a set of wheels on it and it'd make a good sports car! ;-)

But seriously, that could be the bar mount light Ive been looking for to back up the helmet spot. Any ideas on beam spread, or reduced power modes?
jonts
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby Tojja on Mon 20/Jun/05 10:04am

http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&q= ... view&meta=

No more info on the WHOLE internet about them either!
Tojja
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby Tama on Mon 20/Jun/05 10:31am

Tojja wrote:http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&q=cateye+%22triple+shot%22+review&meta=

No more info on the WHOLE internet about them either!
That's cos Vorb has the cutting edge techie cycling news ;)

...and sometimes I fluke stuff
Tama

Postby Tama on Mon 20/Jun/05 6:17pm

Rene from Sheppards wrote:Some personal feedback. I used the light in the weekend and found that the long distance output is amazing, almost like a Stadium light.
Closer up it is more like the claimed 20 Watt

RRP $499
Tama

Postby james on Tue 21/Mar/06 10:46am

So has anyone used one of these lights? Or more importantly the Double Shot which can be helmet mounted.

I see Burkes has the Double Shot for $300! and the tripple shot for $349.00

Sounds like a bargain considering trying to make a home made version would cost more more just in parts!
cateye_el710rc_large.jpg
james

Postby Slim on Tue 21/Mar/06 11:14am

I recon I'd go for the triple shot and build a helmet mount, this might be the perfect replacement for my 4 year old nightsticks, 15 watt just doesn't cut it anymore in the hills.

Triple shot on the helmet and the 15 watt night stick on the bars and it should be mint for some fast single track action.
Slim
Member for: 16 years 11 months

Postby james on Tue 21/Mar/06 11:23am

Slim wrote: I recon I'd go for the triple shot and build a helmet mount, this might be the perfect replacement for my 4 year old nightsticks, 15 watt just doesn't cut it anymore in the hills.

I've just had a bit of a sift on the net for reviews.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id= ... vals/12-01

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id= ... shot_first

Now it could be just a matter of getting used to the two light units, but in use, it seemed that the smaller Double Shot unit was brighter than its larger sibling, and as a result, tended to wash-out the light coming from the bars. We'll continue to keep an eye on this (ouch! - Ed) and maybe even employ some techno-wizadry to see how much of this is perceived vs reality.

I guess these lights are directly comparable to the nightlightening endurez as both use 3 watt leds....
james

Postby Slim on Tue 21/Mar/06 11:28am

I might go order a double shot and see what happens, I have been looking for a LED light for some time but hated the look of the nightlightning ones
Slim
Member for: 16 years 11 months

Postby jeremyb on Tue 21/Mar/06 11:28am

cateye.com wrote:The brightest white LED light available, this is the only LED light you'll feel comfortable with when hitting your local singletrack at speed. CatEye lighting engineers are able to pull unparalleled brightness from these LEDs using market-leading Opticube lens and reflector technology.

With locking cable connectors, die-cast aluminum body, and the ultra-tough nature of solid-state LEDs, this is one of the most indestructible lights you'll ever use.

• 3.3 Hours of Runtime
• Three 3-watt LEDs combined with Opticube Lens technology
• Produces the brightness of a 20W Halogen bulb
• Compact 12V-2700mAh NiMH Battery
• Smart charger with 3 hour charge time
• Locking cable connectors to prevent blackouts
• Includes both standard and oversized mounts
• Up to 200 times longer lifetime than HID bulbs
• Lightweight at only 710grams
• Virtually indestructible
jeremyb
"www.derailled.co.nz - New Zealand Cycling Forum"
Member for: 17 years 6 months

Postby james on Tue 21/Mar/06 12:32pm

Slim wrote: I might go order a double shot and see what happens, I have been looking for a LED light for some time but hated the look of the nightlightning ones

Cool tell us how its goes I'm very interested, as I was going to shell out for another LED bulb $65 and $300+ dollars of battery & charger.
james

Cycling | Mountain Biking | Night Riding - Latest Posts