Postby Logger on Sun 28/May/06 10:35am

DropKick wrote: Mine again, just cos I feel like bragging.

Interesting side note, the tree just to the right of that stop sign is where that creek that flooded about a month ago is :thumbsup:

Since DK is showing off his whole car I'll show off a little bit of mine.

Finally got the motor in on easter sunday, everythings bolted up but just need to finish the battery in boot conversion, throw axles back in, fill gearbox up with fluid, do tappets, fill radiator fluid, sort out speedo issues and turn zee key. Should be ready by the time I finish uni.
DSCF0218 (Medium).JPG
Logger
"'On time everytime'"
Member for: 17 years 8 months

Postby Dougal on Sun 28/May/06 10:40am

KeeweeLogger wrote:

Finally got the motor in on easter sunday, everythings bolted up but just need to finish the battery in boot conversion, throw axles back in, fill gearbox up with fluid, do tappets, fill radiator fluid, sort out speedo issues and turn zee key. Should be ready by the time I finish uni.

Do you notice any drop in torque with the pod filter?

Just that honda spends thousands (possibly millions) on air intake design to create a pulse charging effect at certain engine speeds. But I don't know what those speeds are.
Dougal
Member for: 17 years 4 months

Postby dmc on Sun 28/May/06 10:47am

As an ex-honda tech I'd have to say that the factory airboxes do more to cancel induction nosie than increase torque, Ive tried a few different combinations of factory airboxes/aftermarket inserts/podfilters and found that in the end the Pod filters increased airflow gave the best performance increases, I was always going to build a decent airbox to enclose the filter but for the gains I'd get I have never got round to it.
dmc
Member for: 18 years 3 months

Postby Joonas on Sun 28/May/06 10:52am

heres mine. dosent hold much in the way of bikes tho :blush: . well right now it dosent do much of anything seeing as tho I broke a camshaft and it is in the middle of being rebuilt
Picture 260brights.JPG
Joonas
Member for: 17 years 9 months

Postby Sims on Sun 28/May/06 11:12am

Fitted new springs yesterday. The mazda feels about 20% smaller on the road, and handles like a go-cart! :thumbsup:
Sims
Member for: 18 years 1 month

Postby Logger on Sun 28/May/06 11:13am

Dougal wrote:
KeeweeLogger wrote:

Just that honda spends thousands (possibly millions) on air intake design to create a pulse charging effect at certain engine speeds. But I don't know what those speeds are.

I haven't even driven it yet with that setup, last time I drove it vtec didn't work and I only moved it about 10 feet.

dmc wrote: As an ex-honda tech I'd have to say that the factory airboxes do more to cancel induction nosie than increase torque, Ive tried a few different combinations of factory airboxes/aftermarket inserts/podfilters and found that in the end the Pod filters increased airflow gave the best performance increases, I was always going to build a decent airbox to enclose the filter but for the gains I'd get I have never got round to it.

I will be buildng a stainless cold air box at some stage, hence the moving of the battery. As for induction noise, I want it as horny and noisy as possible as I have Integra type R cams, TAS adjustable cam gears, exhaust headers off the fastest NA all motor street legal Honda in New Zealand, Field SFC VTEC controller and a few other little goodies that need no be mentioned.

As soon as it gets running and a tune I'll post up dyno results, I'm aiming for 105kw atw.
Logger
"'On time everytime'"

Postby Datsane on Sun 28/May/06 11:16am

Dougal wrote:
KeeweeLogger wrote:

Its all about the wizzzzzzzzzzzzz Pooooooooooooooooooooppppppppppppppp
The more noise makes the better :eh:
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"
Member for: 16 years 4 months

Postby Logger on Sun 28/May/06 11:18am

Datsane wrote:
Dougal wrote:
KeeweeLogger wrote:

Wizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz pooooooooooooooooooppppppppppp? is that when the cambelt comes flying off and my rods go walkies out the side of the block?
Logger
"'On time everytime'"

Postby Datsane on Sun 28/May/06 11:20am

KeeweeLogger wrote:
Datsane wrote:
Dougal wrote:
KeeweeLogger wrote:

Wizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz pooooooooooooooooooppppppppppp? is that when the cambelt comes flying off and my rods go walkies out the side of the block?
More that noise they make going to Vtec :lol: sounds better if someone makes the sound for you. Pooo Bahhhh is another one
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"
Member for: 16 years 4 months

Postby Logger on Sun 28/May/06 11:24am

Datsane wrote:
KeeweeLogger wrote:
Datsane wrote:
Dougal wrote:
KeeweeLogger wrote:

More that noise they make going to Vtec :lol: sounds better if someone makes the sound for you. Pooo Bahhhh is another one

I prefer the term BOOOOOBAAAAAAA, but only because I have the original BOOBAA plate on that car.
Logger
"'On time everytime'"

Postby Dougal on Sun 28/May/06 11:27am

dmc wrote: As an ex-honda tech I'd have to say that the factory airboxes do more to cancel induction nosie than increase torque, Ive tried a few different combinations of factory airboxes/aftermarket inserts/podfilters and found that in the end the Pod filters increased airflow gave the best performance increases, I was always going to build a decent airbox to enclose the filter but for the gains I'd get I have never got round to it.

Got any dyno figures or is that just "feels and sounds faster"?
Dougal
Member for: 17 years 4 months

Postby Logger on Sun 28/May/06 11:30am

Dougal wrote:

Got any dyno figures or is that just "feels and sounds faster"?

Seat of the pants dyno perhaps? With VTEC the sound is a very big factor, some people have the idea that if you can hear it you must be taking off at warp factor 12.
Logger
"'On time everytime'"

Postby Sims on Sun 28/May/06 11:34am

Factory air boxes are designed to prevent water and dust from being sucked into the engine by mongs. A pod filter will significantly increase airflow to the engine, provided its shielded effectively from engine heat.

In a comparison between my brothers 4l jeep cherokee and my familia. Replacing the air filter gave me a distinct advantage in the "0-100 green light drag. Where as previously it was more about getting a good launch.
Sims
Member for: 18 years 1 month

Postby Logger on Sun 28/May/06 11:36am

Sims wrote: Factory air boxes are designed to prevent water and dust from being sucked into the engine by mongs. A pod filter will significantly increase airflow to the engine, provided its shielded effectually from engine heat.

In a comparison between my brothers 4l jeep cherokee, replacing the air filter gave me a distinct advantage in the "0-100 green light drag. Where as previously it was more about getting a good launch.

Yes heat is the enemy!!!! I may look into heatwrapping the exhaust headers to keep underbonnet temps even less.
Logger
"'On time everytime'"

Postby Joonas on Sun 28/May/06 11:38am

Just cut some speed holes in the hood saves weight too :p
Joonas
Member for: 17 years 9 months

Cars | Cycling | Motoring | Sifting - Latest Posts