"Look! I still walk away"
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby Datsane on Sat 21/Jul/07 10:20am

The later 2.5s are not that bad, but still nothing on the 2l turbos
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"
Member for: 16 years 8 months

Postby Jimmy_C on Sat 21/Jul/07 1:00pm

Monolith wrote: it makes it sound way faster than factory, but thanks to the lack of any proper cold air intake it will actually be detrimental to performance and fuel economy.

Dr Phil says: lol

This has made me have some thinking...

I saw this heat shield sheats at supercheap this morning and thought about putting some in. Iv made a template of where I think it should go.
Can someone tell me if this is good/ bad? What I should do if this isn't the trick?

Thanks
S3700066.JPG
S3700068.JPG
S3700069.JPG
S3700071.JPG
Jimmy_C
Member for: 16 years 7 months

Postby Datsane on Sat 21/Jul/07 1:10pm

Jimmy_C wrote:
Monolith wrote: it makes it sound way faster than factory, but thanks to the lack of any proper cold air intake it will actually be detrimental to performance and fuel economy.

Dr Phil says: lol

This has made me have some thinking...

I saw this heat shield sheats at supercheap this morning and thought about putting some in. Iv made a template of where I think it should go.
Can someone tell me if this is good/ bad? What I should do if this isn't the trick?

Thanks
Looks fine. Just remember that it will need air flow from the outside of the car. Not including around the headlight as this air is warm.
And put gromits on the shield were something like rubber or cables pass through it :thumbsup:
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"

Postby Jimmy_C on Sat 21/Jul/07 1:12pm

Theres a pipe thingy coming up under the fuse box which has air straight from the front of the bumper. You reckon this will be enough?
Jimmy_C

Postby Datsane on Sat 21/Jul/07 1:16pm

Was it attached to the air box? if so its most likely a resisator(sp) ie isn't another box that helps tone down induction noises. You would need to check and move if it is.
About how bigs the hole 50mm plus is good
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"

Postby Logger on Sat 21/Jul/07 1:16pm

If you want to be true baller move the battery to the boot and have a massive Ali or stainless cold air box with CF lid :D

The pic below shows my CAI, filter is in the bumper and gets a good feed of air, next thing to do is to put a bellmouth duct right in front of the filter for even more air flow and colder temps!
Engine bay small.JPG
Logger
"'On time everytime'"
Member for: 17 years 11 months

Postby Datsane on Sat 21/Jul/07 1:19pm

Logger wrote: If you want to be true baller move the battery to the boot and have a massive Ali or stainless cold air box with CF lid :D

The pic below shows my CAI, filter is in the bumper and gets a good feed of air, next thing to do is to put a bellmouth duct right in front of the filter for even more air flow and colder temps!
Do you find the increase in pipe length abit laggy? honda do tend to get induction rather spot on. Tis a rather long run of pipe to absorb heat from the engine bay to.
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"

Postby Jimmy_C on Sat 21/Jul/07 1:20pm

Haha. nah thats a bit too hard out for me. Looks good though. I don't want to overcapitalise with my car.

I'll go check where that pipe leads too. If it is a resonator I might just put a pvc pipe comig from the bumper. You reckon thatd be good?
Jimmy_C

Postby Logger on Sat 21/Jul/07 1:23pm

Datsane wrote:
Logger wrote: If you want to be true baller move the battery to the boot and have a massive Ali or stainless cold air box with CF lid :D

Do you find the increase in pipe length abit laggy? honda do tend to get induction rather spot on. Tis a rather long run of pipe to absorb heat from the engine bay to.

It was in there when I bought the car. Ultimately I'd go for a Mugen setup but I don't have a spare $1K lying around :(
Logger
"'On time everytime'"

Postby Datsane on Sat 21/Jul/07 1:29pm

Jimmy_C wrote: Haha. nah thats a bit too hard out for me. Looks good though. I don't want to overcapitalise with my car.

I'll go check where that pipe leads too. If it is a resonator I might just put a pvc pipe comig from the bumper. You reckon thatd be good?
Be good, but not important. It will stil be able to draw air in. Just giving it somewhere that isn't all warm will work fine.

Your right with that Ben, anything like mugen will be miles ahead of anything else IMO. If you want ideas on how to do mods look at what te likes of Mugen, Ralliart, Nismo, etc... all do with Aftermarket bits.
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"

Postby kuna on Sat 21/Jul/07 2:26pm

Monolith wrote: what is teh Jimmah_C in? :eh:

Naturally Asthmatic subarus are not known for their performance :paranoid:
That lancer wagon on page 98 I think it was. Yah she don't go too hard but oh well, at least it's not as embarrassing to drive. Might get a pod filter just to make it sound a little bit nicer when I'm boosting it haha.
kuna
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby Jimmy_C on Sat 21/Jul/07 4:02pm

The pipe coming up was a resonater I found out. So iv just spent the afternoon taking that out and i manipulated another plastic pipe form the front bumper up to where the resonater was coming out. So now that I have a nice cool air supply I will buy some of that heat shield stuff to do tomorow :) Thanks for the help guys.
Jimmy_C

Postby Logger on Sat 21/Jul/07 4:20pm

Just looking at your Amp power wire (I'm going to assume thats what it is?) I can't see a fuse inline anywhere? When you do your cold air box re-route the amp wire so you can screw a fuseholder on to the box itself, it looks blng and means the fuse is easily accessible.
Logger
"'On time everytime'"

Postby Jimmy_C on Sat 21/Jul/07 4:53pm

Logger wrote: Just looking at your Amp power wire (I'm going to assume thats what it is?) I can't see a fuse inline anywhere? When you do your cold air box re-route the amp wire so you can screw a fuseholder on to the box itself, it looks blng and means the fuse is easily accessible.

Thanks, But there is a fuse in there the cardboard is just hiding it in most of the pics
S3700069111.JPG
Jimmy_C

Cars | Cycling | Motoring | Sifting - Latest Posts