Postby james on Wed 28/Jun/06 4:28pm

Coyote wrote: What are the advantages of having a single speed? I am looking at the Kona Unit for some light trail riding. Is this a good bike for trail riding? (Ofcourse I will upgrade the forks up from rigids ;) )

depends where you trail ride and how much determination you have.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/singlespeed.html

Why ride a Singlespeed?

Modern 24-27 speed bikes are marvels of technology, and allow a cyclist to select the gear ratio that will make the most efficient use of his/her energy. If what you're after is getting the maximum possible speed/distance for the minimum effort (and there's nothing wrong with that!) a multi-speed bike is what you need...but, efficiency isn't everything!

If you're riding for sheer pleasure, or for exercise, you don't necessarily place that high a premium on output results, as measured in speed, distance or vertical climb. Instead, you may care more about the actual experience of riding your bike. In this case, you may be a candidate for a singlespeed bike.

Riding a singlespeed can help bring back the unfettered joy you experienced riding your bike as a child. You don't realize how much mental energy you devote to shifting until you relinquish your derailers, and discover that a whole corner of your brain that was formerly wondering when to shift is now free to enjoy your surroundings and sensations.

Paradoxically, a singlespeed is, in another sense more efficient than a multispeed bike! While the single gear ratio will not be the "perfect" gear ratio for all conditions, in the conditions which fit the single gear, it is considerably more efficient mechanically than the drive train of a derailer bike.

A singlespeed bike dispenses with the weight of the derailers, shifters, cables, extra sprockets and longer chain. In addition, a singlespeed gear train runs the chain in a perfectly straight line from sprocket to chainwheel, and avoids the serpentine wind through the pullies of a derailer. You can really feel the difference! A singlespeed is noticeably quicker and easier to pedal than a multispeed bike in the same gain ratio.

Singlespeed bikes are also considerably more sturdy and reliable than multispeed bikes. There's no derailer to catch on the underbrush or to get overshifted into the spokes. The rear wheel itself is a lot stronger than one made with off-center (dished) spoking to make room for a whole bunch of sprockets on one side.
james
Member for: 16 years 8 months

Postby CaptainCaveman on Thu 29/Jun/06 8:08am

Datsane wrote:
CaptainCaveman wrote: I run about an inch and a half of vertical play midway down the length of the chain
:crazy: Your nuts shall be talking to your stem some time soon.

It works fine like that - everything is centred and the chainline is perfect, so it all runs very smoothly (although it is an 8 speed Dura-Ace chain, which I'm a little suspicious of...)
CaptainCaveman
Member for: 16 years 4 months

Postby PhilterNZ on Thu 29/Jun/06 9:13am

Coyote wrote: What are the advantages of having a single speed? I am looking at the Kona Unit for some light trail riding. Is this a good bike for trail riding? (Ofcourse I will upgrade the forks up from rigids ;) )

Your friends will worship you, strangers will stop and stare with lustfull looks in their eyes, your sex appeal will increase. A bit like that deodorant advert (but I am stuffed if I can remember the name of the product).

SSing is fun - it can be hard work, but my personal opinion is you will be probably be a better rider for it - for me - I am stronger, upper as well as lower body and I pick better lines to maintain momentum through the trail, this has made me faster than I was before.

I wouldn't necessarily rush to chaneg the rigid forks either, ride with it first and see how they feel.
PhilterNZ
Member for: 16 years 10 months

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Thu 29/Jun/06 9:33am

PhilterNZ

fucking cool avatar.

rushing off looking for that album right this minute.

...dance dance dance dance dance to the radio........
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 18 years 6 months

Postby PhilterNZ on Thu 29/Jun/06 10:13am

Henry Dorset Case wrote: PhilterNZ

fucking cool avatar.

rushing off looking for that album right this minute.

...dance dance dance dance dance to the radio........

Cheers HDC.

Been hammering Unknown Pleasures in the car lately.
When I bought the car and it only had a cassette player I was pretty gutted, but i have been going back through the boxes of old cassettes I havent listened to in years and it has been bloody great.
Bought some blank cassettes at the weekend to tape some of the vinyl that doesnt get listened too much and you cannot get on CD or MP3 - old Flying Nun 7'' etc.

It has been a nostalia fest :D
PhilterNZ

Postby billbloke on Thu 29/Jun/06 11:36am

I made my old bike single speed for riding in the mud. Less to break, easy to clean and maintain (very important as riding time is minimal these days, cleaning time even less!).

Whats wrong with rigids? They are light, and stiff. You need to pay big $$ to get that in a suspension fork. Unless you ride rock gardens they will be fine :D
billbloke
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby CaptainCaveman on Thu 29/Jun/06 11:39am

billbloke wrote:

I made my old bike single speed for riding in the mud. Less to break, easy to clean and maintain (very important as riding time is minimal these days, cleaning time even less!).

Whats wrong with rigids? They are light, and stiff. You need to pay big $$ to get that in a suspension fork. Unless you ride rock gardens they will be fine :D

Rigids are fine around town, but if you want to go play in the woods suspension does make it more enjoyable - so long as you aren't too hung up on the 'purist' single speed thing. The nice thing about single speeds is that they are almost always customised to the owners requirements, so just build what suits you and have fun. :thumbsup:
CaptainCaveman

Postby Oli on Thu 29/Jun/06 2:27pm

This is like the third thread in a row where you aren't being inflammatory and you're making good sense, Cavie. What's up? :p
Oli
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby CaptainCaveman on Thu 29/Jun/06 2:29pm

Oli wrote: This is like the third thread in a row where you aren't being inflammatory and you're making good sense, Cavie. What's up? :p

You take that back right now :cry:
CaptainCaveman

Postby Oli on Thu 29/Jun/06 2:31pm

:lol:
Oli
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby pushbikerider on Sat 1/Jul/06 4:49pm

here's my new SS, should be much more fun that the last one, finished this morning (well with a borrowed wheel off the slacker)

32:18
DMR trailstar (vertical drop outs)
Surley Singleator
Surley stainless 32t ring
Middleburn RS7 cranks
Marzo Mx Comp forks
Hope / deore brakes
deore / (DT when it arrives) hubs, on 521 / DP20 rims
PC 48 chain (sram)
Real brand crank case BB
Shorty Deluxe stem
Answer Alumlite 2 bars ( found a set NOS on TM)
DMR 1.JPG
dmr 2.JPG
dmr 3.JPG
DMR 4.JPG
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 18 years 7 months

Postby PhilterNZ on Sat 1/Jul/06 4:55pm

Nice 1 PBR - Welcome to the DMR world !
PhilterNZ

Postby thorg on Sat 1/Jul/06 4:59pm

MMmmmmmmm, Dmr.

nice one PBR !
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 16 years 5 months

Postby pushbikerider on Sat 1/Jul/06 5:00pm

PhilterNZ wrote: Nice 1 PBR - Welcome to the DMR world !

cheers

I've only taken it for a quick hack up and down our bridal track along the river, but it does feel like fun to ride
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 18 years 7 months

Postby porschenut on Sat 1/Jul/06 6:08pm

check it out :cool:

not mine unfortunately....
ss.jpg
porschenut
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking | Post Your Bike | Singlespeed - Latest Posts