Re: The Single Speed Thread - Show Us Your Bike

Postby Trail on Mon 5/Jul/10 5:34pm

Yes, horizontal drops on the Transam. The 11 speed alfine are not yet out Tim. Might be out by end of september/october

Wiggle have listed them, with a stock date of late september

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Shima ... 360051007/ note, this is without fittings, or cogs etc... so you would need to buy other stuff to mount it to your bike.

This is the specific shifter that goes with it
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Shima ... 360051009/

For a rim I would lace it up to whatever you usually would like to run. Personally I would lace it up to a DT 5.1 or Stans Flow or a UST Mavic 823 as I would definitely want to run it tubeless with wide tyres.
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby Trail on Mon 5/Jul/10 5:41pm

vintapperen wrote:Image

Nice looking SS! Ventana make nice bikes.

if you upload the photos to Vorb rather than linking them, then they will display in the browser without cutting a bit off...

That looks like new mud, were you out up the hills on the weekend?? There were not that many people up there on bikes on Sunday afternoon. I would have thought there would have been more people out and about with the trails open after having been closed for so long!!
Trail

Cambelt Single Speed

Postby TT-Boy on Mon 5/Jul/10 5:52pm

My single speed, originally was converted to a belt drive via cambelt from pick-a-part, have just finished converting the amp forks to accept a disc brake. enjoy!
ssMK2 005.jpg
ssMK2 004.jpg
Gates ss MTB 008.jpg
TT-Boy
Member for: 17 years 5 months

Postby Trail on Mon 5/Jul/10 6:03pm

OooEeeer... that is pretty sparkly!!

No need for a rear brake, or is it set up fixed wheel? :blink:

That looks like a sneaky way to get the belt drive in by splitting the dropout. Bound to be a lot less work than the putting a joiner in the seat stay method mentioned a few pages back!!

That is a pretty nifty brake adaptor for the AMP fork too... you must have spent a bit of time putting all of that together!!

What is the equivalent gear to what you are running? It looks pretty tall?
Trail

Postby vintapperen on Mon 5/Jul/10 6:06pm

Trail wrote:
vintapperen wrote:Image

Nice looking SS! Ventana make nice bikes.

if you upload the photos to Vorb rather than linking them, then they will display in the browser without cutting a bit off...

That looks like new mud, were you out up the hills on the weekend?? There were not that many people up there on bikes on Sunday afternoon. I would have thought there would have been more people out and about with the trails open after having been closed for so long!!

Its my favourite bike :)

All that mud is from Kennedys which was a real boggy in places - big wipe out on the way down just when I was thinking I should slow down a bit. Flying Nun, Traverse, and Mt Vernon were all pretty dry. I was up there midday Saturday and yeah it was surprisingly quiet.
vintapperen
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Re: Cambelt Single Speed

Postby vintapperen on Mon 5/Jul/10 6:26pm

TT-Boy wrote:My single speed, originally was converted to a belt drive via cambelt from pick-a-part, have just finished converting the amp forks to accept a disc brake. enjoy

That is pretty flash!
vintapperen

Postby TT-Boy on Mon 5/Jul/10 6:27pm

Trail wrote:OooEeeer... that is pretty sparkly!!

No need for a rear brake, or is it set up fixed wheel? :blink:

That looks like a sneaky way to get the belt drive in by splitting the dropout. Bound to be a lot less work than the putting a joiner in the seat stay method mentioned a few pages back!!

That is a pretty nifty brake adaptor for the AMP fork too... you must have spent a bit of time putting all of that together!!

What is the equivalent gear to what you are running? It looks pretty tall?

I'm not a greedy man, one gear and brake is enough...... just :D
The dropout has a 3mm stainless plate with 4x M4 countersunk screws holding the two halves together and the axle clamps them up also. amp conversion took 2 saturday afternoons to do, I have a similar conversion on the back of my '97 Specialized FSR. The gearing is about 32:17 equilivent, a bit tall for my chicken legs but it will sort itself out LOL
TT-Boy

Postby vintapperen on Mon 5/Jul/10 6:36pm

Trail wrote:Finally got to take the TransAM for a shakedown ride. Was all good, and I really like the way it rides :thumbsup: Really nice day up the hill today!

Nice TransAM - That was one of my options for a frame but the Ventana came up at the right time/price plus the shorter front end probably suits me a bit better.
vintapperen

Postby dented on Mon 5/Jul/10 7:25pm

Nice work on that disc conversion TT-boy. I wouldnt have thought of using the V mount to provide the extra support, but it looks like a great idea.
dented
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Postby TT-Boy on Mon 5/Jul/10 8:25pm

:D
dented wrote:Nice work on that disc conversion TT-boy. I wouldnt have thought of using the V mount to provide the extra support, but it looks like a great idea.

Hey, thanks dented :D . Was a good idea on my specialized FSR as the brake spigot was steel and has been working for about 6 years, but the amp ones were aluminium and the M6 thread to hold the v-brake was bored all the way to where the steel mount on the fork leg met the alloy. Snaped off at that point not far into testing :exclaim: , a steel one would have been fine, I have just bolted straight to the mounting point on the fork now. :thumbsup:
TT-Boy

Postby Trail on Mon 5/Jul/10 8:32pm

TT-Boy wrote:
The dropout has a 3mm stainless plate with 4x M4 countersunk screws holding the two halves together and the axle clamps them up also. amp conversion took 2 saturday afternoons to do, I have a similar conversion on the back of my '97 Specialized FSR. The gearing is about 32:17 equilivent, a bit tall for my chicken legs but it will sort itself out LOL

Nice, one speed and one brake, with what must be 50mm of plush AMP travel :lol: That setup might scare me a little on some of the trails in the Port Hills!! Having said that, I did ride my other SS down Vic park a number of times when it was just set up with Mag 21's and cantilever brakes!! 1 Disc brake must be at least the equivalent of 2 x cantilevers :lol:

Must be just the big cogs making the gear look tall. 32:17 sounds like a good gear.
Trail

Postby Trail on Mon 5/Jul/10 8:36pm

vintapperen wrote:Nice TransAM - That was one of my options for a frame but the Ventana came up at the right time/price plus the shorter front end probably suits me a bit better.

Yeh, I was actually looking at other options but the TransAM came up at the right time/price on Trademe. Is the Ventana shorter than the TransAM? Cos the TransAM was feeling pretty short to me... but that might be simply that I should put a 60 or 70 mm stem on there instead of the 50mm that is on there currently! Feels great when I am out of the saddle descending or climbing, but is feeling short if I am actually sitting in the cockpit.
Trail

Postby TT-Boy on Mon 5/Jul/10 9:42pm

Trail wrote:
TT-Boy wrote:

Nice, one speed and one brake, with what must be 50mm of plush AMP travel :lol: That setup might scare me a little on some of the trails in the Port Hills!! Having said that, I did ride my other SS down Vic park a number of times when it was just set up with Mag 21's and cantilever brakes!! 1 Disc brake must be at least the equivalent of 2 x cantilevers :lol:

Must be just the big cogs making the gear look tall. 32:17 sounds like a good gear.

Thats 50mm more than the rigid I have been running :lol: which was exciting with the only brake on it too. :blink:
Just have to plan braking manuvers well in advance.... I am getting good at abs'in the front. I got the carbon cranks cheap, only problem is they are road ones so the gates drive is the road set so it looks oversize but gets better wrap around with the bigger diameters.
TT-Boy

Postby Sickman on Tue 6/Jul/10 5:00am

Trail wrote:That looks like a sneaky way to get the belt drive in by splitting the dropout. Bound to be a lot less work than the putting a joiner in the seat stay method mentioned a few pages back!!

Or you can join seat stay like this and no need to spread them baby
http://www.shandcycles.com/2010/02/23/carbondrive-beltdrives/

oh yeah, do you want your poploc back Trail?
Sickman
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Postby vintapperen on Tue 6/Jul/10 9:06am

Trail wrote:Yeh, I was actually looking at other options but the TransAM came up at the right time/price on Trademe. Is the Ventana shorter than the TransAM? Cos the TransAM was feeling pretty short to me... but that might be simply that I should put a 60 or 70 mm stem on there instead of the 50mm that is on there currently! Feels great when I am out of the saddle descending or climbing, but is feeling short if I am actually sitting in the cockpit.

My bad I didnt mean shorter I meant lower :) The El Toro is built for a 80mm fork though I am running a 100mm - the TransAM is built for a longer travel fork like your Pike eh?
vintapperen

Cycling | Mountain Biking | Post Your Bike | Singlespeed - Latest Posts