Re: The Single Speed Thread - Show Us Your Bike

Postby crazychris on Thu 28/May/09 11:45am

neels wrote:As for the chain droppages, I think tonight I shall lock myself in the garage and not come out until I have a functioning tensioner to replace my derailleur.

2 x derailleur chain wheels and a cable-tie!
crazychris
"Fitness and Fatness, now in equal measures!"
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby DogsBollocks on Thu 28/May/09 11:53am

crazychris wrote:
neels wrote:As for the chain droppages, I think tonight I shall lock myself in the garage and not come out until I have a functioning tensioner to replace my derailleur.

2 x derailleur chain wheels and a cable-tie!

Big drill, big hammer ;)
DogsBollocks
"Licking my clangers in a backyard near you."
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby danose on Thu 28/May/09 11:53am

scatter wrote:Spinning 32:16 was disheartening last night :huh:

I think you're seriously underestimating yourself, and crippling yourself with silly low gears - you know you've got leg strength, why not use it?

for racing bottle lake I'd seriously gear up - there's only one hill and you need to be able to hang on the rest of the time, not fry your legs spinning hamster gears(just don't go too mad - landfill hill reallllly hurts in 44:16)
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 16 years 5 months

Postby crazychris on Thu 28/May/09 11:57am

danose wrote:
scatter wrote:Spinning 32:16 was disheartening last night :huh:

I think you're seriously underestimating yourself, and crippling yourself with silly low gears - you know you've got leg strength, why not use it?

for racing bottle lake I'd seriously gear up - there's only one hill and you need to be able to hang on the rest of the time, not fry your legs spinning hamster gears(just don't go too mad - landfill hill reallllly hurts in 44:16)

eek, 44:16 up that hill... Mind you, it's not cheating to get off and run up the hill!
crazychris
"Fitness and Fatness, now in equal measures!"
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby scatter on Thu 28/May/09 11:57am

danose wrote:I think you're seriously underestimating yourself, and crippling yourself with silly low gears - you know you've got leg strength, why not use it?

Thanks for the vote of confidence but I'm not sure that I do.......and there lies the issue :huh: :)

You're right about the hamster gears though.......I'm wasting a lot of energy spinning
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 17 years 9 months

Postby neels on Thu 28/May/09 12:01pm

danose wrote:there's only one hill

Yes, but you need to climb it twice :p

My main problem last night was having to come to a dead stop and start again when people in front of me changed down to their granny gear on slight uphills, so higher gearing might be the go to generate more speed and get in front of them at the start
neels
"I've got opinions, that don't make any sense"
Member for: 13 years 1 month

Postby danose on Thu 28/May/09 12:05pm

crazychris wrote:eek, 44:16 up that hill... Mind you, it's not cheating to get off and run up the hill!

remember I'm a roadie - so not afraid to stand and climb!! the pain of landfill hill is no worse than 53/19 up hackthorne rd...and it's heaps shorter

it's all a mental game in the end - if you believe you'll make it you will
danose

Postby danose on Thu 28/May/09 12:06pm

scatter wrote:Thanks for the vote of confidence but I'm not sure that I do.......and there lies the issue :huh: :)

you know what I'm going to suggest as training - so I won't bother. But it will help
danose

Postby Spyder on Thu 28/May/09 12:09pm

danose wrote:
crazychris wrote:eek, 44:16 up that hill... Mind you, it's not cheating to get off and run up the hill!

remember I'm a roadie - so not afraid to stand and climb!! the pain of landfill hill is no worse than 39/19 up hackthorne rd...and it's heaps shorter

Fixxored your typo for you :)
Last edited by Spyder on Thu 28/May/09 12:13pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spyder
"A little inaccuracy sometimes saves a ton of explanation."
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby scatter on Thu 28/May/09 12:11pm

danose wrote:
scatter wrote:Thanks for the vote of confidence but I'm not sure that I do.......and there lies the issue :huh: :)

you know what I'm going to suggest as training - so I won't bother. But it will help

:lol:
I know what I need to do but I don't know what frequency, intensity, how many reps etc etc I should be doing in such a way that I get some improvement but so that I keep my head happy and so that I don't end up broken like I did at the start of the year. Cos I don't ever want to end up there again......I was smashed mentally and physically and it hurt :huh:
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 17 years 9 months

Postby danose on Thu 28/May/09 12:13pm

Spyder wrote:
danose wrote:

remember I'm a roadie - so not afraid to stand and climb!! the pain of landfill hill is no worse than 39/19 up hackthorne rd...and it's heaps shorter

Fixxored your typo for you :)

if you think 53/19 up hackthorne is scary, I've seen bushman try to get up ALL of the bastard in the big ring :o
danose

Postby one_uknw on Sat 30/May/09 5:20pm

Fun bike after a fantastic epic day today
dirty girl.jpg
one_uknw
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Postby pieboy on Sat 30/May/09 5:36pm

:)
Bikes 003.JPG
N + 1
Bikes 004.JPG
pieboy
Member for: 16 years 9 months

Postby Datsane on Sat 30/May/09 8:47pm

Spokey Dokeys :thumbsup:
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"

Postby neels on Sun 31/May/09 7:16pm

I have made some more progress (I think?). Yesterday I locked up the rear derailleur with a bit of gear cable and hacked/sawed/filed my spare combo shifter/brake levers down to just brake levers,
combo_sm.jpg
and after,
brake_sm.jpg

Now i have a dilemma. I'm pretty much stuck on a 32t front, I was running a 16t rear and the next cog I have is a 14t, so I bunged it on and went for a couple of laps around mcleans and seemed to go ok, but I'm not sure if my feeble legs can push it around bottle lake on wednesday night. Also, I'm not sure but I may have had a hint of chain slip a couple of times, so I'm wondering if either 14t is a bit small or I need to sort out a proper tensioner. Any thoughts singlespeed experts?
neels
"I've got opinions, that don't make any sense"
Member for: 13 years 1 month

Cycling | Mountain Biking | Post Your Bike | Singlespeed - Latest Posts