Postby BrokenKonaRider on Fri 11/Apr/08 11:19am

Why is what? That I'm continually amazed? Guess it must be my short term memory problem again
BrokenKonaRider
"Pants"
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby Oli on Fri 11/Apr/08 11:21am

:lol:
Oli
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby VERT on Fri 11/Apr/08 12:19pm

BrokenKonaRider wrote: Why is what? That I'm continually amazed? Guess it must be my short term memory problem again

must be, I cant be bothered quoting your post again
VERT
Member for: 17 years 10 months

Postby Datsane on Fri 11/Apr/08 1:36pm

I was going to say something but I forgot :paranoid:

I will have a new bike to post sometime after the SS nats :thumbsup:
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"
Member for: 16 years 5 months

Postby scatter on Fri 11/Apr/08 1:42pm

I was just talking to Jeff @ KiwiBikes.

My hubs are ready! w00t! :cool:

Now to decide whether I want to spend silly money on Olympics to lace them too :paranoid: And whether to make a special trip to Vegas to pick my baby up :blush:
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 17 years 9 months

Postby phunk on Fri 11/Apr/08 1:43pm

:pmob: Yes, and yes.
phunk
Member for: 16 years 7 months

Postby Nick_K on Fri 11/Apr/08 1:57pm

scatter wrote: I was just talking to Jeff @ KiwiBikes.

My hubs are ready! w00t! :cool:

Now to decide whether I want to spend silly money on Olympics to lace them too :paranoid: And whether to make a special trip to Vegas to pick my baby up :blush:

I'd definitely recommend the olympics, great rims.
Nick_K
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 16 years 0 months

Postby blackadder63 on Wed 16/Apr/08 9:20pm

Have built up this Retro SS from a 1996 UK Orange frame a couple of months ago, sweet at Woodhill, running 32/17 as I want it easy to pedal. Have hurt my back now, so getting withdrawl symptoms....grrrrr. Kept all the original bits so I can convert it back one day...
P1000389.JPG
blackadder63
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Postby big_daddy_jj on Thu 17/Apr/08 2:48pm

some scrap metal and an old roler later she is converted :thumbsup:
dmrrmd.jpg
big_daddy_jj
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby pushbikerider on Thu 17/Apr/08 6:50pm

big_daddy_jj wrote: some scrap metal and an old roler later she is converted :thumbsup:
mint :thumbsup:

I like the sprocket guard too :thumbsup:
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 18 years 7 months

Postby snr_merv on Thu 17/Apr/08 6:54pm

Well, it's been just over a year now, and my singlespeed has undergone somewhat of a transformation...
GT Peace.jpg
69r-Vorb.jpg
snr_merv
Member for: 16 years 8 months

All My Own Work

Postby idleidolidyll on Thu 17/Apr/08 8:12pm

I started riding singlespeed in 2001 on return to NZ. Benny Devcich in Manukau loaned me one of his for a few rides and I was hooked.
I've build cheap ones and light ones and flash ones and ugly ones: currently have 4 including my GT based Urban Assault Vehicle for stairs, ramps and generally terrorising pedestrians and people eating lunch in malls.

A few years ago I decided to design my own and tracked down a factory that made/makes titanium frames etc for Merlin, Lightspeed and other well known names.

2 prototypes were made including BOTH eccentric BB and horizontal dropouts (so we could test em out)

Thrashed these for a year and found that the frames and Ti rigid fork were tough as hell but the seatpost was only good for under 75kg riders.
Also had one stem and 2 cranks break but none since then.

When it came to making a 'production' run of bikes (6 units), I didn't use eccentric OR horizontal dropout. I used sliding replaceable titanium dropouts allowing setup as 26" or 29" on the same frame by changing the effective wheelbase. Dropouts were the Rohloff design (no copyright) and made for dérailleurs, track, iso disc, geared hubs etc so you can make the one frame into anything you want.

The newsboy style frame is more rigid than the triangular one but more expensive too.

I built one ss to about 8.5kg but could probably have lost another kg with better wheels, tubeless, lighter brakes etc

I'll be at the singlespeed champs in Vegas with 4 different kinds of build: 27 gears, 8 speed hub, rigid singlespeed on Ti forks and a softride singlespeed with Psylo race forks and a Thudbuster seatpost.
Bikes on show and for sale but I'll be riding one of them in the old buggers class.
Bad News from Zone 3 Bikes.jpg
the "Bad News" prototype with both eccentric and horizontal dropouts
Assassin.jpg
the "Assassin" prototype with both eccentric and horizontal dropouts
Alfine Hub in Bad News frame.jpg
Production version with Alfine 8 speed hub and sliding replaceable dropouts etc (my wife's ride)
Sliding iso titanium dropout.jpg
A close up of the dropout with iso disc carrier
idleidolidyll
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Postby Monolith on Thu 17/Apr/08 8:24pm

:0

That assassin is awesome

:love:
Monolith
"Look! I still walk away"
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Postby idleidolidyll on Thu 17/Apr/08 8:26pm

[/quote]

Why is that? People speed a lot of money on geared bikes too, its about whatever floats your boat[/quote]

Yep, each to their own. Build em cheap or have a ball and spend some money.

If a geared bike can cost $10k+, why shouldn't a singlespeed cost $5k?

The best of everything according to taste and a weight maybe of sub 8kg.

Bling is bling regardless of whether you spend it on a car, motorbike, home, clothes or bike
idleidolidyll

Postby idleidolidyll on Thu 17/Apr/08 8:32pm

Monolith wrote: :0

That assassin is awesome

:love:

Thanks, I sold that to Tim in Chch (frame and forks anyway). I think he always runs it as 29"

The new frames are even better with the sliding dropouts. I'll have one set up as 29" and one as 26" at the Vegas singlespeed national champs. I'm not gonna win anything but that's not why I ride. Actually nowdays I ride just to prove to myself that I can after some major injuries.

That said, a good rider on one of my bikes might just win: any volunteers? I might be convinced to loan one to a worthy prospect.
idleidolidyll

Cycling | Mountain Biking | Post Your Bike | Singlespeed - Latest Posts