Ratios

Postby Jay1491 on Mon 16/Apr/07 10:09pm

Hey
Just wondering if any one had any views on the best sort of ratio for a mountain bike race. The ratio I'm running at the moment is 32:16, which for the trail riding and short climbs (under 10 minutes) is fine. But i want to enter some XC races. And i think 32:16 might be to high for the lengthy climb in the first race i want to do (pretty much the first half is a solid climb). What have people found the best ratio is for races?
Jay1491
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby pushbikerider on Mon 16/Apr/07 10:14pm

I run 32:18 which is fine for rides over 100km in distance, which are hilly, my ride yesterday included to 1/2 hour approx climbs. I also know that others on this site have ridden that same ratio in 24 hour solo events, and around rides like Karapoti

But some of this is person specific, you really need to try a few differnt ratio's and see what you like
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 18 years 6 months

Postby dented on Mon 16/Apr/07 10:14pm

Too many factors involved to really just ask like that.

ie: what race?
what climb?
how long is the climb?
how strong are you?
what is the rest of the course like?
how well do you normally get up that climb on your 32:16 ratio?
dented
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Postby SlackBoy on Mon 16/Apr/07 10:16pm

pushbikerider wrote: I run 32:18 which is fine for rides over 100km in distance, which are hilly, my ride yesterday included to 1/2 hour approx climbs. I also know that others on this site have ridden that same ratio in 24 hour solo events, and around rides like Karapoti

But some of this is person specific, you really need to try a few differnt ratio's and see what you like
I agree, personally I like a slightly bigger gear, but I come with slightly bigger legs, and a slightly smaller brain
SlackBoy
Member for: 18 years 9 months

Postby fandangle on Mon 16/Apr/07 10:18pm

SlackBoy wrote:
pushbikerider wrote: I run 32:18 which is fine for rides over 100km in distance, which are hilly, my ride yesterday included to 1/2 hour approx climbs. I also know that others on this site have ridden that same ratio in 24 hour solo events, and around rides like Karapoti

I agree, personally I like a slightly bigger gear, but I come with slightly bigger legs, and a slightly smaller brain

oh we know that much :p

and a even slightly smaller....... :paranoid:
fandangle
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby Jay1491 on Mon 16/Apr/07 10:19pm

Ive done this race a couples times on a geared bike, only just recently changed to ss already been through 3 different ratios so i have a slight idea. Its the Marble Mountain race that goes up the side of the Takaka hill the back down(so quite fast down side). Well i can beat my friend on a geared bike up most hilsl and we are quite fit.
Last edited by Jay1491 on Mon 16/Apr/07 10:50pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jay1491
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby SlackBoy on Mon 16/Apr/07 10:21pm

fandangle wrote:
SlackBoy wrote:

oh we know that much :p

and a even slightly smaller....... :paranoid:
Hey my mum said thats a normal size
SlackBoy
Member for: 18 years 9 months

Postby fandangle on Mon 16/Apr/07 10:22pm

mothers lie... except mine...
fandangle

Postby Friendly Llama on Mon 16/Apr/07 10:24pm

fandangle wrote: mothers lie... except mine...
And your Mum told him it was small? :lol:
Friendly Llama
Member for: 17 years 1 month

Postby fandangle on Mon 16/Apr/07 10:25pm

Friendly Llama wrote:
:0... didn't see that one coming....
fandangle

Postby Friendly Llama on Mon 16/Apr/07 10:27pm

fandangle wrote:
Friendly Llama wrote:
:0... didn't see that one coming....
Yeah well, someone had to say it...
Friendly Llama
Member for: 17 years 1 month

Postby fandangle on Mon 16/Apr/07 10:31pm

no I really didn't see it coming... walked right into that one :(
fandangle

RE: Ratios

Postby diamondback-man on Tue 17/Apr/07 10:16pm

Jay1491 wrote: Hey
Just wondering if any one had any views on the best sort of ratio for a mountain bike race. The ratio I'm running at the moment is 32:16, which for the trail riding and short climbs (under 10 minutes) is fine. But i want to enter some XC races. And i think 32:16 might be to high for the lengthy climb in the first race i want to do (pretty much the first half is a solid climb). What have people found the best ratio is for races?

I did the Xterra with a 32:18 which was a little high for me up hill road and a little low along the flats but what a great feeling passing both of my mates on their geared bikes the lion trail (up hill) and beating 1 to the finish.
Bottom line with a S.S you got to compromise somewhere if you can get a gear where you overall average speed is close to what you rode on a geared bike you will be sweet.
diamondback-man
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby Yeti on Wed 18/Apr/07 10:15am

I'd like to share a recent addition to the singlespeed family with you all. It was built up using spares from Around Again Cycles in Christchurch - a great place for bike bits and bobs - and what was lying about the garage.

She's not the prettiest bike I've ever owned but it's definately the most rewarding ride.

Running 32:18 out at Ashley Forest and scaring the fully suspended gooners on their >$3K bling bling bicyles!

Cheers
Assorted 022.jpg
Assorted 023.jpg
Assorted 024.jpg
Yeti
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby dented on Wed 18/Apr/07 6:07pm

That looks great! Did you drill and tap those dropouts yourself to use for tension? If so, great stuff, quite similar to the Cotic Simple system. Those dropouts are almost horizontal!
dented
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking | Post Your Bike | Singlespeed - Latest Posts