Thoughts On The Met Parachute

Postby CrustyMTB on Tue 25/Jan/05 9:43am

I've just discovered a massive crack in my helmet and I need to get a new un'. :(

I've been thinking full face but I'm going to be doing all sorts, xc, downhill (not racing) epic etc and I think a normal full face would be too heavy too hot and overkill for a lot of riding.

The Parachute appeals but I can't find any reviews worth a damn. Has anyone tried or know someone who's tried one?

Cheers
CrustyMTB
"Tucker's Law "If some cunt can fuck something up, that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up, cause that cunt's a cunt.""
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby pissface on Tue 25/Jan/05 9:47am

Now that's unPC, put a pic up so even ignorant people can comment, no excluding people on basis of competence :0 :thumbsup:
pissface
"Boneshaker"
Member for: 17 years 1 month

Postby fraserb on Tue 25/Jan/05 10:00am

:eh:
kinda like a giro switchblade. detachable chin guard style.
i like it, but you have opened the whole "get a real full face helmet" thing again.

sounds like you do the same sort of thing as me, likes to go downhill but not racing but wants a bit more protection than a standard helmet offers.

i wear a switchblade, and i would say the chin guard has stopped a face mashing on at least on occasion that a pisspot helmet wouldnt have sace my pretty face from, so its already paid for itself.
HE180LBB.jpg
fraserb
Member for: 16 years 8 months

Postby CrustyMTB on Tue 25/Jan/05 10:03am

Hmmmm switchblade, I should check them and all.
Cheers Fraser... any other opinions...
CrustyMTB
"Tucker's Law "If some cunt can fuck something up, that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up, cause that cunt's a cunt.""

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Tue 25/Jan/05 10:39am

I read this as "meat parachute" and thought...

oooh errrr

deviancy.

but yeah Giro Switchblade.

I would still like one if I could find one that fitted.

Just sold one that didnt....
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 17 years 10 months

Postby Gary on Tue 25/Jan/05 10:39am

I've got an XC helmet, and a proper 661 full face, even though I only use it about 1 weekend per month at most.
I've heard lots of positive things about the Giro Switchblade, but detachable chin-guards don't count for DH racing (UK regulations at least) - proper full face helmet or no racing allowed.

The problem with the Parachute, is that the chin-guard looks really bloody flimsy. They might have tested it to the Nth degree and proved it to be really strong and whatever, but if you crash the last thing you want is to be picking broken chin guard out of your face.

The ideal solution would be to know how badly you were going to crash in advance, and choose the helmet accordingly...
Gary
Member for: 16 years 1 month

Postby vanman on Tue 25/Jan/05 10:39am

They dont make the switchblade anymore though do they?

I have a Giro Xen, and a Mad MaxII.

Thing is I dont go any slower on the downhills during an xc ride than I would if we were shuttling and I had my full face and armour on! :crazy:
vanman
Member for: 17 years 5 months

Postby headwound on Tue 25/Jan/05 11:01am

i gotta buy a new downhill helmet

would prefer a light, standards approved one

they standards approved ones are usually too fkn heavy

why doesnt some bogan go out and test one for the masses

dum ass bogans
headwound
Member for: 16 years 0 months

Postby CrustyMTB on Tue 25/Jan/05 11:06am

I've been riding gnarly stuff in a xc helmet for years but now I have a couch and can go bigger the "I ride slow over the drops" argument does't work so well...
If I was a bogan I'd be a crash test dummy for y'all but I replaced my ACka/DaCka T-shirt decades ago...
I'll try some on and report :D
CrustyMTB

Postby Lamedoggo on Tue 25/Jan/05 11:06am

Thats a trippy looking helmet!

I had a Switchblade back in the day but I don't think it fitted me either.

Good helmet though.
:)
Lamedoggo
"Like Elmo but without the fluff."

Postby atsunD on Tue 25/Jan/05 4:45pm

I wouldn't mind one of these
I was keen on the Switchblade but it was pretty expensive and I think it's not available anymore
I'd rather have that little bit of protection for those 'catch you by suprise' occasions than none and a full face is a bit much for normal trailriding
atsunD
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby Ocky on Tue 25/Jan/05 5:02pm

Um, I have a fullface and a standard xc helmet :) .
It seems to work for me.
Ocky

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Tue 25/Jan/05 5:18pm

Are they available here? What price?
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 17 years 10 months

Postby Stun on Tue 25/Jan/05 5:39pm

The new Giro MadMax carbon's may be light enough for you???
I'm just about to get a Dakine Apex camelbak that allows me to put my full face helmet into it - so it'll be much easier to take it up the hill... then pop it on for the DH.

However, for aggresive trail riding - try finding a Switchblade.
The MET range of helmets have a very distinctive shape to them that disagrees completely with my head shape.
Stun
Member for: 17 years 1 month

Postby Percy Pig on Tue 25/Jan/05 7:18pm

vanman wrote:Thing is I dont go any slower on the downhills during an xc ride than I would if we were shuttling and I had my full face and armour on! :crazy:

Then get a real DH bike! :satan:

Hehe! :D

I dont rate any of those removable chin guard helmets,the chin guard cant be strong enough to do more than keep bugs and branches off your face.
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"
Member for: 17 years 9 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts