Worst Excuse For Putting Off Maintenance.

Postby Rik on Wed 29th Jul 10:14am

I have been needing to do a full service on my rear derailleur for the longest of times now.
My poor excuse for postponing the task, has been the lack of ownership of a pair of quicklink pliers to split the chain. Fiddling around trying to push the links together by hand or with regular pliers or bits of wire is such a faff.

So this weekend I bit the bullet, rummaged around in my box of cutoffs for suitable material to make a proper tool. An hour later, with the aid of a hacksaw, a file, a drill, a pop rivet and some rubber pipe, I had turned a length of 15mm box section into this magnificent weapon.

DSC_0889.JPG
It might not look pretty, but it works

Chain off, I could then get on with the actual mission. Remove, dismantle, clean, re-grease everything in/on the derailleur.

DSC_0890.JPG
This is the before and after of what many months of jockey wheel neglect looks like, eugh

Then reassemble and re-install the rear derailleur. Jobs a good'n.
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Re: Worst Excuse For Putting Off Maintenance.

Postby AgrAde on Wed 29th Jul 12:56pm

I can appreciate a good homemade tool.

My shock was leaking air for months. I would just pump it up every ride because I didn't want to pay to have the entire thing disassembled to replace the leaking seal. Eventually took it in, bike shop considered it a guarantee on their prior servicing work and repaired it for free.

I've also been meaning to replace the 8 speed chain that's on my chain whip for YEARS now.
AgrAde
Member for: 16 years 10 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Wed 29th Jul 4:10pm

AgrAde wrote:My shock was leaking air for months. I would just pump it up every ride because I didn't want to pay to have the entire thing disassembled to replace the leaking seal.

Always worth trying letting the air out and checking the valve core is tight.
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 14 years 0 months

Postby Claude on Wed 29th Jul 7:30pm

That's worth sending into GCN's Hack or Bodge!
A decent Hack. Missing one thing - some "branding".
Claude
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby AgrAde on Wed 29th Jul 10:08pm

Velocipedestrian wrote:
AgrAde wrote:My shock was leaking air for months. I would just pump it up every ride because I didn't want to pay to have the entire thing disassembled to replace the leaking seal.

Always worth trying letting the air out and checking the valve core is tight.

Indeed, it was.
AgrAde
Member for: 16 years 10 months

Postby Conners on Thu 6th Aug 12:23pm

Rik wrote:Fiddling around trying to push the links together by hand or with regular pliers or bits of wire is such a faff.

Saw this the other day (not this actual video, this video is painful and slow - but the concept is there) - would be a good trailside hack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlgTEd_WTFc
Conners
User avatarMedal
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 17 years 3 months

Cycling | Derailleurs | Drivetrain | Rear Derailleurs | Workshop - Latest Posts