New Bike Or Used Bike

Postby ojnab on Tuesday 10:36pm

Hi .
Its time to replace my 2006 iron Horse. As fun as it is on descents, its heavy & I dont need 7" of travel :-)
I rode my friends lighter KHS & I was really impressed, so easy to pedal its almost like cheating

Giant Trance is what Im considering .
Ive been looking at used bikes on trademe. Seems to me that used bikes are ridiculously overpriced ???
A 2020 Trance2 is about $3500 on special. So is a 2013/2014 really worth $1600ish ??
a 5 or 6 year old bike will possibly been worn out (but usable)

I cant afford a new bike , but I can afford 12mths interest free payments , over a year.
So, wait however long it takes to find a used bike at a good price . Or buy a new bike I cant afford & pay it off over a year .
Any advice ?
Cheers
ojnab
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Re: New Bike Or Used Bike

Postby swtchbckr on Wednesday 7:23am

A few of the big bike stores do 3 or even 4 years interest free terms. Pay them off as quick as you can and you're riding a brand-new bike tomorrow!!
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Wednesday 9:07am

I've always been a save up till I can afford it guy, but it's hard to argue with swtchbkr there.
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 13 years 1 month

Postby swtchbckr on Wednesday 4:43pm

it's kinda like saving up in reverse...
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby ojnab on Wednesday 7:55pm

Ive been looking at some prices on used bikes on Facebook , some as much as a new one :lol:

I'll need to wait untill Tordeo7's new years day sale, and get one on 12mth interest free. I'd like to pay it off ASAP rather than drag that out over 3 years

The new Trance are 1x12 . Thats going to take some getting used to.
is a 1x12 something thats going to be trouble long term ? compared to 9speed on the back ?
ojnab

Postby Conners on Thursday 12:04am

ojnab wrote:The new Trance are 1x12 . Thats going to take some getting used to.
is a 1x12 something thats going to be trouble long term ? compared to 9speed on the back ?

Ive recently upgraded from an 07 Trance to a 2019. The 1x12 was definitely a bit finicky initially, the tolerances between gears are a lot tighter as there are 3 more cogs with virtually the same overall hub width. Now that I’m through the initial cable stretch zone it seems have settled down and is fine.

It won’t really take any getting used to, you’ll still have virtually the same range as you did on a 3x9 setup - just that you don’t need to think about a front derailleur any more. And your chain never falls off. And you will have a dropper post. It’s a win win win really.

In terms of being trouble over time I guess time will tell. The recommendation is that chains need to be replaced between 0.5 and 0.75% stretch, compared with between 0.75 and 1.0% on 8/9/10 speed. So you’re going to wear out more chains. And cassettes are much more expensive, so you will need to make sure you replace those chains in time to avoid wearing out the cassette.

I’d personally go new. Bike geometry has changed a lot, even in the last 5 years - and my personal pick is that we’ll see most trail bikes move to 29” wheels as the default in the next few years.

Unfortunately you’ve just missed the end of the run out deals on the 2019 models - there were some pretty crazy prices at the end of some of those sales. It looks like Evo are down to just the highest spec carbon Trances which are still about $7500...
Conners
User avatarMedal
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 16 years 5 months

Postby Dougal on Thursday 4:23pm

ojnab wrote:is a 1x12 something thats going to be trouble long term ? compared to 9speed on the back ?

If by "trouble" you mean "eye watering cassette prices"? Then yes.

There are cheaper downspec options these days. But you're basically captive by then so just suck it up and Stockholm Syndrome it like everyone else.
Dougal
Member for: 16 years 6 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Thursday 5:48pm

Dougal wrote:
ojnab wrote:is a 1x12 something thats going to be trouble long term ? compared to 9speed on the back ?

There are cheaper downspec options these days. But you're basically captive by then so just suck it up and Stockholm Syndrome it like everyone else.

Thanks for the reminder to stick with 10spd.
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 13 years 1 month

Postby Dougal on Thursday 6:20pm

Velocipedestrian wrote:
Dougal wrote:

Thanks for the reminder to stick with 10spd.

I absolutely love my 3x10 Shimano setup. It was a "downgrade" from 11sp Eagle and will be 3x11 Shimano once I've worn out this current cassette.

But bikes with front derailleur mounts are becoming unobtainable. So no idea what I'll do next time. Luckily my Bergamont still does everything I need extremely well.
Dougal

Postby Conners on Friday 11:23am

Dougal wrote:I absolutely love my 3x10 Shimano setup.

Just out of interest, what ratios are you running?
Conners
User avatarMedal
"Seeing Double"

Postby Dougal on Friday 11:50am

Conners wrote:
Dougal wrote:I absolutely love my 3x10 Shimano setup.

Just out of interest, what ratios are you running?

Front is 22-30-40, rear is 11-36. I almost never use the granny, but it's there when I run out of gas. It's the top end, multi-release shifters and smooth running (straight chainline in high and low gears) that I love.

Once I wear out the cassette it'll be 11sp 11-40 on the back. Mrs Dougal runs that setup on her Norco Range.
Dougal

Postby philstar on Friday 4:35pm

I operate on the mindset that frames are free, when you buy a new bike you are buying a build kit with free frame (having brought a new bike on sale to use as a bildkit and sold the frame and shock for the new price of the shock). chains and cassettes are consumables. everything else is long life span consumable say 10 years depending on use and storage.

what do you want to optimise with a new bike; fun, speed, fitness, plushness, better strava time,
philstar
"misanthropic"

Postby ojnab on Friday 10:01pm

Just an update..
A went in bought bought a 2020 Trance 2 . It was still at the Black Friday discount price .
I still need to buy pedals, bike shop wouldnt throw in a free set.

Any hints on setup, 1st ride tommorow.
ojnab

Postby Conners on Friday 10:23pm

Boom! Nice work.
If the fork doesn’t have a pressure/weight chart sticker on it, do a google and find out what the recommended pressure is for your fork. Do the same for the shock.

Depending on what model fork and shock it has, there will also be recommendations on rebound and compression suspension settings. These are normally a good guide to use as a start point.

Just ride it, it will be a totally different ride to what you’re used to so just enjoy it and don’t fret about micro tuning everything initially - plenty of time for that once you get used to it.
Conners
User avatarMedal
"Seeing Double"

Postby ojnab on Friday 11:01pm

Theres one thing Im unimpressed with, the total lack of dedicated setup manual.
Theres only a Giant generic manual that could have been written last century . Wear a helmet kids .

Even the Fox fork & shock, no downloadable manual. Only an online setup page. Not much help, cant stick that in my toolbox.
The very least thing Giant should have done, is give starter points for sag, pressures etc. But no, so I'll get out
the tape measure , & measure shock travel for the sag starting point.

Yep, Im going to just ride it anyway . Tomorrow :)
ojnab

Bikes + Frames + Forks | Complete Bikes | Cycling | MTB Full Suspension Bikes - Latest Posts