This topic has not been added to any channels. This will make it hard for users to find. Type relevant channels into the Add Channel box to add them.

Bike Bag To Borrow?

Postby Velocipedestrian on Mon 4th Nov 6:37pm

Anyone in welly got a sturdy bike bag they'd lend?
It's for Waitangi weekend. The ones I've seen for hire so far are hard cases, too heavy with my bike for the 23kg limit.

Ideally something with built in protection, but around 8kg.

Cheers y'all.
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 13 years 1 month

Re: Bike Bag To Borrow?

Postby EoinC on Mon 4th Nov 10:36pm

After years of carrying bikes on international and domestic flights, using every bike bag known to mankind, we reverted to using cardboard bike boxes, with a skateboard truck at one end. Same as Cycling Australia, and all of the Aussie Institutes of Sport. Pretty much any bike shop can help you out with left-over boxes. Cycling Aus make good ones with plastic-laminated cardboard, but ordinary cardboard does just as well (just lasts fewer trips).
EoinC
Member for: 9 years 3 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Saturday 8:37am

Yeah, I've used a box plenty of times, it's not my favourite thing.
I watched a mate pack his evoc bag, it looked like a smooth easy process.
Maybe it's the years of pulling bikes out of boxes to build for the shop floor that makes me hate them.
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 13 years 1 month

Postby philstar on Monday 3:02pm

EoinC wrote:After years of carrying bikes on international and domestic flights, using every bike bag known to mankind, we reverted to using cardboard bike boxes, with a skateboard truck at one end. Same as Cycling Australia, and all of the Aussie Institutes of Sport. Pretty much any bike shop can help you out with left-over boxes. Cycling Aus make good ones with plastic-laminated cardboard, but ordinary cardboard does just as well (just lasts fewer trips).

flying-with-bike-t127182-30.html#p2658744

i like the wheels on the box video method I will have to try it next time i fly.
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Postby Conners on Tuesday 2:18pm

I’ve got a Ground Effect Tardis that you’d be welcome to borrow, but it doesn’t fit the bill of having protection. It’s much more of just a canvas bag that you put the bike into. You can add cardboard strategically (and if it will fit) for some protection, but it’s never gong to be up there with an Evoc or similar.

I’ve only used it a handful of times, it’s always been fine but you never know with airline travel...

You’ve reminded me that I need to check if my wagon wheeled bike will still fit in it.
Conners
User avatarMedal
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 16 years 4 months

- Latest Posts