Westport, And Surrounds

Postby swtchbckr on Wed 16th Oct 3:10pm

Hey, can anyone tell me where people in Westport ride? I know Denniston, but local to town, something up Waterworks Rd..?? the water tank or something?
Strava Heatmap sort of shows a bit of trailage around, but Trailforks has nothing. Any ideas??
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Re: Westport, And Surrounds

Postby AgrAde on Wed 16th Oct 7:53pm

Not exactly, but Reefton is worth checking out if you can make the drive. I've only ridden Kirwans there but that was a hell of a lot of fun and the views were amazing. I think there's a bunch more trails there.
AgrAde
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby swtchbckr on Thu 17th Oct 11:06am

AgrAde wrote:Not exactly, but Reefton is worth checking out if you can make the drive. I've only ridden Kirwans there but that was a hell of a lot of fun and the views were amazing. I think there's a bunch more trails there.

oh yeah, we've ridden Reefton (back in 2011) - did Kirwans (we choppered it) and day before did a nice loop at Black's Point. it's all good.

Heading over there this weekend (Friday = WET!!!), and was keen to check out something i'd not done, ie, the watertank behind Westport i've heard about. I think i've found it on the map and strava heatmap, just wondered if anyone else could point me in the right direction.

Another one to check out is Brittania Mine track... we rode that back in 2011 as well. Was quite a wee gem of a descent. (pig climb, 1 hour something up, less than 20mins down...)
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"

Postby AgrAde on Fri 18th Oct 5:24pm

Keen to hear if you find good things. Got some spare time this summer.
AgrAde

Postby swtchbckr on Wed 23rd Oct 9:21pm

No luck finding anything close by.

But Denniston rocks! (Literally!) Just found Lunar and S.O.B heaps of fun...

And the south coast of Lake Kaniere track is tech as f. Quite enjoyable. Slow and constant work. Big push of a climb. Serious type 1.5 fun
Last edited by swtchbckr on Thu 24th Oct 5:40am, edited 2 times in total.
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"

Postby AgrAde on Wed 23rd Oct 9:46pm

Sounds like me. Will check it out!
AgrAde

Postby DogsBollocks on Thu 24th Oct 9:53am

swtchbckr wrote:No luck finding anything close by.

But Denniston rocks! (Literally!) Just found Lunar and S.O.B heaps of fun...

And the south coast of Lake Kaniere track is tech as f. Quite enjoyable. Slow and constant work. Big push of a climb. Serious type 1.5 fun

How long was the Kaniere track ? Did you do the whole thing ? We hoon over there for day trips every now and then and thinking Kaniere in the AM and Blue Spur PM if it works. Chur.
DogsBollocks
"Licking my clangers in a backyard near you."
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby swtchbckr on Fri 25th Oct 11:31am

Took a couple of hours. The singletrack is 11 km, but full loop around the lake will be double or more - albeit mostly just gravel road, easy grades). We shuttled, ie, 2 drivers took car to far end, came back, then one of them bailed about 2 kms in and so there were 2 cars waiting for us when we got there. And we were day 4 of riding every day so all a bit tired in the legs.

Its mostly rideable. A good challenge, with lots of tech root and rock features that you roll in thinking "no way" and then struggle out the top of and go, "wow!", plus reasonable stretches where you roll along pretty good. If DOC hadnt put in quite a few little boardwalky bits and a quite a few short bridges it'd be on again off again, but now it's mostly rideable bar the long steep climb. That's a reasonable length push-climb, and then the descent is at times spectacular, sketchy, techy, and not allll that long, but good. For pure tech challenge and lowspeed fun, it's a good wee ride.

Blue Spur has a lot of fun in it too. nice climbs for good loops too. You ridden there??
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"

Postby DogsBollocks on Tue 29th Oct 2:21pm

Yeah, been up to Blue Spur quite a bit. It's great fun I recon.
Up to Golden Bay on tour next week, can't wait.
DogsBollocks

Postby swtchbckr on Wed 30th Oct 12:55pm

you gonna find those Parapara tracks?
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"

Postby DogsBollocks on Thu 31st Oct 10:51am

Yeah, maybe. We're locked in for Brown to Perry return on Thursday, Motupipi Hill on Friday AM then we've got someone showing us around the goldfields in the arvo which could involve a bit of extra exploring around Parapara. Saturday we're getting shuttled up for the Caanan Loop and Rameka/Expectations etc. 10 of us. Should be thirsty work ...........
DogsBollocks

Cycling | Mountain Biking | Trail Riding - Latest Posts